T Nation

After an Upper/Lower Routine & Diet

First off
Stats.
Height: 6’ (a tad under if i’m honest)
Weight: 12st (skinny fat)

Hi. I have been on and off training for too long and have recently looked back and have been disgusted with the amount of time i have wasted. I suffer from depression (caused by infected eczema) and would start a routine get hit by a bout of depression and stop training for 2-3weeks, i’ve been having these for the past 2 years. Each time i got hit with a bout of depression i wouldn’t eat or drink for upto a week, even upto the point of being hospitalised.

I have decided it’s time to get serious and fuck the depression as it has wasted so much of my life as it is (i know it will still come but i will have to do damage limitations, so to say).

I am after a simple upper/lower routine to build size and strength. I train at home. (i have a squat rack,bench, chin up bar and weights. To be honest it’s the routine i need alot of help with.

Mon and Thurs- Upper- (all 4x8) Flat Bench, Overhead press, Chin ups, ???, ab isolation.

Tues and Fri- Lower- (all4x8) Light squats, Heavy deads, ???. Ab isolation

This is the diet i plan on doing. Any tips to up the Kcal would be great (i want to limit milk if im honest)

9:00am- Oats, milk, whey and mixed nuts,
Workout
10:30am- Smoothie/milkshake (oats, milk whey chocolate powder)
1:30pm- Egg Pasta, e/v olive oil, tuna, red sauce(homemade)
3:15pm- 2 eggs
5:30pm- Meat and veg (varies, daily)
7:30pm- 3eggs
10:00pm- Cottage Cheese

Any advice you could give would be great! And tips on how to stay focused on the end goal would be great

To be honest, I’m really just wondering how infected eczema is causing you to be depressed. I had it really bad on the back of my legs one time, but that’s because I used to scratch the hell out of it. Either way, I still don’t see how that can cause depression at all, MAYBE if it’s quite severe and on your face/neck.

As for your training, I’m still a beginner myself, and don’t feel qualified to be giving advice. Read the stickies, and search around the site a bit; there are lots of great routines. Pick one you like, and then come back here with it, so people can comment.

I’ll save you some time, for people to give you advice/help they need to know your goals. I’m guessing overall increase in strength and size is what you’re after, but let us know anyway.

Nuts are a great way of adding good calories throughout the day - but don’t eat too many (it’s easy to lose track). Other than that, if you’re not putting on weight, just increase the size of your meals.

I suck at nutrition too, so again, I can’t really say whether what you have there is any good, but I think you’re likely going to have to eat more (it doesn’t seem like a lot - especially since you’re 6ft - and it’s hard to know without knowing how many calories that day totals).

As for staying focused, I usually go into the gym wanting to do better than last time. Consistency is key.

what are your goals? how much do you weigh? and what’s the nutrient breakdown and total cal of the diet?

your training looks like it needs help. I would do heavy squats on one leg day and heavy deads on the next. you could also do bent over rows on your upper body days.

Since you don’t have an endless supply of equipment you might want to try gvt. i’ve been doing it for a couple weeks now and i feel huge already lol. plus it inc your appetite like you wouldnt believe.

My goals are to get bigger and stronger (currently i can’t even bench 40kg/88lb).

I’m 6foot and weigh 12st

Yeah the eczema got badly infected on my face, neck, arms basically everywhere. Adding in the fact i was 16-17 year old it hit me quite badly.

I understand that my routine isn’t great, and as im a noob i thought sticking to big compounds would be better choice for size and strength gains, and it is also simpler to keep track (lol).

What do you think of

Upper-
(4x8) Flat bench
(3xF)Chin-ups
(4x8)Overhead press
(4x8)Bent Over row
(3x30s)Planks

Lower-
(4x8)Squats (i think i respond better to ligher squats tbh)
(4x5)Deadlifts
???
(3x10) Reverse Crunch

Not sure how many calories my diet is, but i know it isn’t enough. I was thinking about adding in some peanut butter in the evening and some carbs with my 3:15pm eggs

I gvt would be a bit much, considering my training history.

isnt that almost exactly what you had originally listed?

I would still say gvt. any level of lifter can do it. it’s easy to do with just a squat rack, bench, and barbell. and it’ll add tons of mass on if you eat enough.

the only thing is that it is more of a hypertrophy program than strength. Since you don’t really have a good base of strength at all maybe it won’t be as beneficial? hopefully someone else can shed more light on this. i still say try gvt and eat way more than you think you can handle

[quote]Nickbwfc wrote:
First off
Stats.
Height: 6’ (a tad under if i’m honest)
Weight: 12st (skinny fat)[/quote]

Can you put your weight in pounds? I don’t even know what 12st is (I presume stones).

[quote]
Hi. I have been on and off training for too long and have recently looked back and have been disgusted with the amount of time i have wasted. I suffer from depression (caused by infected eczema) and would start a routine get hit by a bout of depression and stop training for 2-3weeks, i’ve been having these for the past 2 years. Each time i got hit with a bout of depression i wouldn’t eat or drink for upto a week, even upto the point of being hospitalised.[/quote]

This is a serious matter that should be checked out with the help of a Dr. I hope you actually went to see one. Depression should be taken care of first.

[quote]
I have decided it’s time to get serious and fuck the depression as it has wasted so much of my life as it is (i know it will still come but i will have to do damage limitations, so to say)[/quote]

Don’t just say “fuck the depression”, as it will come to bit you in the ass sooner or later. Take care of it now. Usually, when you think all is ok, its not.

[quote]
I am after a simple upper/lower routine to build size and strength. I train at home. (i have a squat rack,bench, chin up bar and weights. To be honest it’s the routine i need alot of help with.[/quote]

Thats why we’re here :wink:

[quote]
Mon and Thurs- Upper- (all 4x8) Flat Bench, Overhead press, Chin ups, ???, ab isolation.[/quote]

Include a pulling exercise in the horizontal plane, such as a barbell row, dumbbell row, T-bar row etc.

[quote]
Tues and Fri- Lower- (all4x8) Light squats, Heavy deads, ???. Ab isolation[/quote]

Include calve work. You don’t want those suckers lagging behind :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Its good to see that you’re eating often. Thats always a good habit to get into. Im not sure about the “amount” of food though. It doesn’t seem like much. However, its good to see protein in every meal, as well as healthy carbs and fats. Just keep an eye out for weight changes. If the scale isn’t moving, your not gaining anything. If thats the case, increase your food consumption.

[quote]
Any advice you could give would be great! And tips on how to stay focused on the end goal would be great[/quote]

I still believe you should take care of the depression ASAP! You’ll be better off in the end. If the depression comes back, and you quite lifting again, where’s the merit to that? You’ll be in a NEVER ending circle of hoplessness and misery. Get that checked out NOW!

I don’t know why both mine and your text came out both looking gray, with mine turning out yellow at the very end. I hope you can decipher whats mine and whats yours :stuck_out_tongue: