T Nation

After a Bit of Advice on My Diet and Split

Hey as you can tell im new here but not really just been trolling the articles and fourm for awhile. just looking for a bit for advice on my diet and my split. I would like to give you a run down of my history as well for you to get the full picture.

In October 2008 i weighed 75 KGS at 6''2 Partying all week non stop for 2 yrs prior but i then broke my foot for the 3rd time in a night club dancing to Blutonium Boy you prolly dont know him anyway... I then was told i had to undergo foot reco fun fun NO... For 10 months i couldnt place my foot on the ground at all full stop. I weighted in at 140 Kgs Arrrrggghhh you say.

I then saw a PT what a waste of money i put on weight and my fat % didnt go down because no one told me about diet i just stopped eating dinner. Then i took it on myself to loose the weight. So i did got a top of the range mountian bike started riding to work 2 hours in the morning then train home at night. I precribed my self with a full protein minimal carbs just 30g of nuts 1 bananna 350g of rice. 6 months later i weighed in at 95 Kgs. then it was slow goin till about 2 months ago i started back at the gym.

Diet:
Morning 7-8am
4 Eggs
2 Toast
2 cups of oats
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
10 am
350g Pasta with 350g of Chicken/Tuna/Steak
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
1 Muslie Bar
Broccolie, Carrot, Colliflower
11:30-12am/pm
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
1 Muslie Bar
3pm
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
1 Muslie Bar
6pm
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
1 Muslie Bar
8pm
400g Rump Steak
1 OP Nut PRO Complex
11:30-12am/pm
Peanut Butter and Cottage cheese in the blender on a Weetbix YUCK HORRIBLE
I dont sleep well so about 3 or 4 am i wake up hungy so i just have a shake and slowly head back to sleep.

Monday
Decline BB Bench 5x5
BB Bench 5x5
DB Bench 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Flys 5x5
Dips 5x10

Wensday
Millatry Press 5x5
Lat Raise 5x10
Face pull 5x10
Shrugs 5x10 ( I WANT HUGE TRAPS )
UPright BB Row 5x5

Friday
Dead lift 5x5
Row 5x5
Lat Pull Down 5x10
Chins 5x10

Sat or Sun ( depending on whats happening in life )
Swats 5x5
Leg Press 5x5
Leg Curl 5x5
Calve Standing Ext 5x10 ( I love working my calve love not being able to walk properly the next day lol )
Farmers walks to increase grip strength walk till i drop

So guys thats my life story, Thankyou in advance for any advice given im going to post my latest pic from yesterday tell me what you think i only know how to post 1 so if i could have at tute on posting pics aswell Cheers from the fella down under.

How come no 1 wants to give any advice I've done my own study I'm not asking you to work out for me just some advice on what cld better my program Thanks again

No arm movements? Are all of those ramped? What are your goals? Any reason you're making your own program instead of following a pre made template? What are your lifts now?

Day 1: Chest/Triceps

Exercise one - Flat BB Bench press (6 sets, 6-10 reps)

*Progressively ramping weight, e.g. 52kg 10 reps focusing on fast explosive reps, 57kg for 2 sets of 8 focusing on fast reps, 67kg for as many as possible and so on.

Exercise two - Incline BB Bench press (6 sets, 6-10 reps) *Same as above

Exercise three - DB Tricep Overhead extension (6sets, 6-10 reps) ""

Exercise four - Close grip bench press or cable tricep pushdowns (6sets, 6-10reps) ""

Day 2: Back/biceps

Exercise one - BB Bent Over Row - (6 sets, 6-10 reps) *ramping as described above.

Exercise two - DB Hammer Curls - (4 sets, 6-10 reps) ""

Exercise three - DB Curls - (6 sets, 6-10 reps) ""

Exercise four - Deadlifts (6 sets, 6-10 reps) ""

Day 3: rest day

Day 4: Shoulders

Exercise one - Barbell Standing Overhead Press - (6 sets, 6-10 reps) *ramping

Exercise two - Db Neutral Grip Standing Overhead Press - (6 sets, 6-10 reps) *ramping in small increments or two large e.g. divide into 3 sets for one weight and 3 sets for the heaviest weight your going to use.

Exercise three optional - Upright Barbell Rows - (4 sets, 6-10 reps) Lateral raises (4 sets, 6-10 reps)

Day 5: rest

Day 6: Legs and abs OR bring up a weak body part and abs.

Day 7: rest

The above is something I followed a little while back... I added 20lbs doing this, I don't think it's so different from most splits but what I really took note of for it was the sets... It's still pretty high volume, but not compared to your split.

I really think your split is overkill. You could probably benefit from taking a larger focus on your main lifts and using the rest as accessory lifts.

Overall, I would say you have a decent program. There are a couple of concerns, though. Like trav said, you have no direct arm work, and you're probably going to regret that later.

The other thing is balance. You have six movements for chest and only four for back. Add the two front-delt dominant shoulder moves you have, and now you have eight lifts that work the front delt and only four for the rear delt. That is most likely going to cause you some pain and possibly an injury.

So on Monday, I would suggest cutting down to 3 chest exercises and add in some arm work. I like to work biceps with chest, but you may find it better to work triceps. Figure out which works best for you.

On Wednesday, your first three lifts are excellent choices, and of course stick with the shrugs if you want big traps. I would personally drop the upright rows. Add some calf or forearm work (if forearm, switch Wednesday and Friday).

Friday looks good. Add the part of your arm you didn't work on Monday.

Leg day looks ok. You know what? Go ahead and switch the Wed and Fri workouts because it just makes more sense to keep back/legs and chest/shoulders as far apart as possible. Then add either Good Mornings or Romanian Deads on leg day.

I don't believe you eat this way for one second.

You broke your foot 3 times dancing in a night club? HAHA. That's pretty fraking hardcore =\