After 7 Months of Diet and Gym

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Good point on the Tabatas… but every day, 2 or 3 times?

Good point regarding carbs… but less than 20-30g every day?

Both sounds a little excessive to me.
[/quote]

Do you think 8-12minutes of exercise a day is ‘too much’ for him? Too hard? How about 4 times a day then… You put in what you want to get out. If that is classed as ‘excessive’ then maybe he’s not cut out for it. Call me crazy but if you want to get results then why not take the hard and fast approach?

Velocity diet works wonders - 30g carb limit a day, the reason I didn’t initially go into caloric intake is gaining muscle is never a bad thing. Even if he stays the same weight or gets heavier if he’s shedding fat(losing inches of his waist line) and growing muscle that’s great.

P.s. Jack, if you’re a smoker then maybe the tabata method isn’t for you.

[quote]cwattsdrum wrote:
Jack,
Don’t let skinny ghost boy bother you, all the advice is good stuff.[/quote]

Why no photo in your profile sunshine? cwattsdrum at my height you only weigh a 5kg more, who you calling skinny? For a “fitness trainer” I hope you are at least lifting more then me…or out running me on the field, or at least something…

Ghost, here’s a thought for you…

This is my first post, been lurking for a year, and your little ass finally drew me out. I’d rather be 6 3 and fat, than 5 6 and ripped. 6 3 can be something, you will always be a little prick. Cheers

would you really rather be 6"3 and fat ?

Cuz Franco and Lee Priest make 5"6 and ripped look pretty decent.

[quote]Wilba wrote:
Ghost, here’s a thought for you…

This is my first post, been lurking for a year, and your little ass finally drew me out. I’d rather be 6 3 and fat, than 5 6 and ripped. 6 3 can be something, you will always be a little prick. Cheers[/quote]

That’s great, would you like medal?

What has my size got to do with ANY of the information posted here?

Actually Franco and Priest were 5’5" which further supports your assertion.
So this is what the thread soon led to: “I may be fat but at least I’m tall” vs “I may be short but at least I ain’t fat”. Cool. Can’t wait for the dick waving to start next. Wonder if any other alter-egos of the OP will start posting here.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
would you really rather be 6"3 and fat ?

Cuz Franco and Lee Priest make 5"6 and ripped look pretty decent.

[/quote]

lol the lurker and the OP are both from New York, and the lurker was lurking without a profile for a year… the OP made him want to make a profile after not haivng one for a year…??hmmmmmkay

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

Do you think 8-12minutes of exercise a day is ‘too much’ for him? Too hard? How about 4 times a day then… You put in what you want to get out. If that is classed as ‘excessive’ then maybe he’s not cut out for it. Call me crazy but if you want to get results then why not take the hard and fast approach?

Velocity diet works wonders - 30g carb limit a day, the reason I didn’t initially go into caloric intake is gaining muscle is never a bad thing. Even if he stays the same weight or gets heavier if he’s shedding fat(losing inches of his waist line) and growing muscle that’s great.[/quote]

Are you suggesting he should lose fat by doing an extreme form of dieting (the V-diet), simultaneously gain muscle, and, as an obvious beginner, do a very intense form of training (Tabata) 4 times a day along with his weight training?

While I agree with your initial statement, ‘You put in what you want to get out’, lets say I’m a bit sceptical with regard to the suggested methods. I’d definitely like to see the OP log everything if he decides to follow that approach. Could be interesting…

Thanks for clarifying, though.

I too am a long-term lurker pulled out of silence because of this thread although I credit that to the woodland creature reference and not the tall/fat vs short/ripped debate.

GHOSTrun wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

Velocity diet works wonders - 30g carb limit a day, the reason I didn’t initially go into caloric intake is gaining muscle is never a bad thing. Even if he stays the same weight or gets heavier if he’s shedding fat(losing inches of his waist line) and growing muscle that’s great.

Are you suggesting he should lose fat by doing an extreme form of dieting (the V-diet), simultaneously gain muscle, and, as an obvious beginner, do a very intense form of training (Tabata) 4 times a day along with his weight training?

While I agree with your initial statement, ‘You put in what you want to get out’, lets say I’m a bit sceptical with regard to the suggested methods. I’d definitely like to see the OP log everything if he decides to follow that approach. Could be interesting…

Thanks for clarifying, though.[/quote]

Sorry we must come from different backgrounds of work ethic. Tabata requires no technique (not like learning how to squat). You just pick up the fluffy dumbbells and start pumping out reps. It’s a no brainer. As he gets fitter/stronger he’ll be able to pump out more reps. When he can do 100reps it’s time to up the dumbbell weight.

And yes, agreed - it would be interesting to see the OP actually start doing something, and recording it in a training log.

Call me a cynic but I do not think kentucky fried jack will be making an update to this thread anytime soon!
What gets me is the people who actually jump in and encourage such obvious TROLL jobs by posting “useful” (use this phrase very loosely) advice and encouragement.

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
GHOSTrun wrote:
michael2507 wrote:

Velocity Diet works wonders - 30g carb limit a day, the reason I didn’t initially go into caloric intake is gaining muscle is never a bad thing. Even if he stays the same weight or gets heavier if he’s shedding fat(losing inches of his waist line) and growing muscle that’s great.

Are you suggesting he should lose fat by doing an extreme form of dieting (the V-Diet), simultaneously gain muscle, and, as an obvious beginner, do a very intense form of training (Tabata) 4 times a day along with his weight training?

Thanks for clarifying, though.

Sorry we must come from different backgrounds of work ethic. Tabata requires no technique (not like learning how to squat). You just pick up the fluffy dumbbells and start pumping out reps. It’s a no brainer. As he gets fitter/stronger he’ll be able to pump out more reps. When he can do 100reps it’s time to up the dumbbell weight.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that much about work ethic but more about what’s physically possible for the guy. Have you ever done Tabatas, and if, how frequently over a prolonged period of time?

Author opinions expressed in articles are just that, opinions, but nevertheless, this is what Dan John had to say:

[quote]
And remember this: you really shouldn’t consider doing much after the Tabata workout. Your lungs will be going like a locomotive engine. Go ahead and plan anything you like, but don’t be surprised if it just doesn’t happen. I keep the family dog nearby to chase the carrion birds away while I rest on the sidewalk.

The hardest thing about this workout is staying focused for four minutes.

I do either Tabata front squats or Tabata thrusters about twice a month. I’m sure someone will comment, “If it’s so good, why don’t you do it every day?” Go ahead, try it and report back after the second day. [/quote]

I guess we won’t come to agree on this issue. While it may be possible to do it the way you outlined - even on a caloric deficit and along with regular weight training, I doubt it is possible to do it properly, ie. with the intensity necessary to justify calling it ‘Tabatas’, not just going through the motions for 8 sets of 20 seconds.

When I said do them 3-4 times a day, that’s exactly what I mean - THROUGHOUT the day, not in the one session - are you crazy?? lol :stuck_out_tongue:

So an example would be you wake up, do your 4mins. During your lunch break, do another 4 minutes. At night, another 4 minutes - plenty of time to recover. This is the workout, there is no other gym work done until he’s lost more flub-dub.

Yes I have done tabata thrusters and clean & press - just for the experience but they are not a regular thing I include in my training , there is no point…

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
When I said do them 3-4 times a day, that’s exactly what I mean - THROUGHOUT the day, not in the one session - are you crazy?? lol :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
There never was a misunderstanding here, I always assumed throughout the day. I still think it’s not me who is crazy… :wink:

[quote]
So an example would be you wake up, do your 4mins. During your lunch break, do another 4 minutes. At night, another 4 minutes - plenty of time to recover. This is the workout, there is no other gym work done until he’s lost more flub-dub.[/quote]

Hell, it’s Jack’s CNS, not mine. 4 sessions a day and the V-Diet it is. We’ll add some weight training every other day, though. It makes the log more fun to read.

Are you still here, Jack?

Well done. I hope he sends in your paychecks for designing that delightful program to take him to contest condition as soon as possible.

The “Tank”'s curent stats - 253@31%
Diet - velocity diet!
W/O - 4 sets of tabata thrusters alternate days, weight training every other day.

Maybe he can try some wind sprints before he goes to bed every day and add Zumba sessions before he gets back from work every 3rd day. The log would become EVEN more enjoyable.

GHOSTrun wrote:

There never was a misunderstanding here, I always assumed throughout the day. I still think it’s not me who is crazy… :wink:

So an example would be you wake up, do your 4mins. During your lunch break, do another 4 minutes. At night, another 4 minutes - plenty of time to recover. This is the workout, there is no other gym work done until he’s lost more flub-dub.

Hell, it’s Jack’s CNS, not mine. 4 sessions a day and the V-Diet it is. We’ll add some weight training every other day, though. It makes the log more fun to read.

Are you still here, Jack? [/quote]

Maybe he could just get lipo-suction…

You have a good frame and will look really good once you drop the flab. Nice to see we have similar names :slight_smile:

[quote]Jack The Tank wrote:
Hi Guys,
obviously I know there is still a lot of work to be done but let me know what you think (mainly if my progress is “average”).

Unfortunately I don’t have pictures of me be “posing” before starting (not too flattering for myself) but this is how I am now. I started in March so it has been less than 8 months.

I’m 6’3 and went from 313lbs to 253lbs.

Today at the gym I lifted:
biceps 4x10 40 lbs
chest press 3x10 150 lbs
shoulder press 4x8 140 lbs
lat machine 3x10 150 lbs
triceps 3x10 150 lbs
(the first rep is usually 5-10lbs lighter)

My routine is warmup (bicycle), lifting and then cardio at least 3 times a week.

let me know, I’m extremely open to suggestions/comments!

PS I know that my right bicep is still larger (due to the years of tennis…).[/quote]