After 30's??

hey there… this is my first post and it won’t be the last.

I’m 30 yrs old, and been training for almost 1 year (6 months seriously), and i’ve seen progress… I was 64kg when I started and now am 75kg… but i’ve heard that the body (muscles) grows slowly after that age compare to younger age, how far is that true?..

Dont go and give your self an excuse thats weak bro. Most of your PLers, strongmen etc dont hit prime till mid late forties. Hell im over 30 and hitting PR’s near weekly. just do the damn thing excuses just limit you mentally dont even look for them

Phill

I’m gonna forget you even wrote any of that!

Please put all that and any other limits out of your mind forever.

There’s a quote from Paul Kelso that went something like this; “I’m gaining muscular bodyweight at an age where most guys are looking for a place to nap. This is fun”.

I believe he was in his 50’s then.

By the way, I’m almiost 37 and I don’t see any slowdown at all. In fact I recently took up Highland Games and am looking to gain serious bodyweight (20 lbs) before my August competition.

i didn’t make it as an excuse, cuz i’ve been training hard and i’ve seen the difference…
thanx bro

Most of the older guys I used to train around when I started claimed they actually saw better gains after 30 years of age. Most bodybuilders who compete are reaching their peak after age 35.

It is ideal (if extreme development is the goal) to start before the age of 30 simply because it takes several years to even gain that much muscle mass. That doesn’t mean that you won’t see progress over 30 years of age.

Considering many of the top guys in bodybuilding right now are over 35 if not over 40, the idea that the limit is anywhere in the 4th decade of life is a little off.

I’m 38 and… in my prime. I expect this to continue at least until I hit 50. Why? Because my will be done.

It’s all attitude, drive and a “no failure” discipline. If you believe in it, it will happen.

What would be cool if there was a forum specifically for people over, let’s say, 35.

But I’m 54 and have recently set a personal record. Of course part of that is because I never lifted until a year ago.

I’m a little less bluster and baloney than some of the other posts here. You’ve got to deal with the realities of the body you have.

However, if you are healthy, you certainly have to keep pushing to keep progressing… and whether or not you are in the 30’s or the 40’s you should certainly be making progress.

Personally I started out heavily overweight and long-term (a decade or more) sedentary, and it takes time to undo the damage (muscle atrophy), lose weight, and turn thing around.

As long as you are dealing with the realities you face, I guess maybe I am in the same camp after all, you have to work and keep striving for the top of your game, the alternative is unthinkable…

[quote]shorin wrote:
hey there… this is my first post and it won’t be the last.

I’m 30 yrs old, and been training for almost 1 year (6 months seriously), and i’ve seen progress… I was 64kg when I started and now am 75kg… but i’ve heard that the body (muscles) grows slowly after that age compare to younger age, how far is that true?..[/quote]

I’m 41 and getting back into Powerlifting. There are some differences between my peak @ 29 and my comeback @ 41.

I’m not over-training as much as I was in my 20s.

I listen to my own advice more than the advice from the pencil neck 20somethings working out next to me.

I need more rest than I did when I was in my 20s and I’m getting more rest.

My goal is to be the strongest, fittest, happiest & healthiest I’ve ever been in my life by age 42.

Dan Gilliland

Shorin

Just keep lifting and eating right. If you do those things you will continue to improve. I started lifting for the first time in my life about 1 1/2 years ago. At the time I was 5’ 10" and about 206 pounds. I had a nice beer belly and very little muscle.

I started reading everything I could find. I started counting calories, lifting weights, and doing cardio. In 6 months, I weighed 175lbs. I was much leaner. Only problem was, I looked too small.

So, I cut out the cardio and started eating, kept lifting heavy and now I weigh 196lbs. I’m still fairly lean, but have more muscle mass. I look better than I ever have, even when I was a young 20’s in the Marine Corp. The short of it is, just keep doing it, it is a lifestyle, and you will continue to improve. Oh yeah, I’m 53 years old.

Don’t give yourself excuses or limitations. Set ambitious goals and work hard towards them.

I started lifting at 31. Before my bodyweight was always below 140 pounds, in six months I broke 175 and don’t plan to stop there. I originally wanted to reach 175 in twelve months and had to revise my goals upwards.

Westside Style meets Olympic Lifting.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westside_meets_olifting.htm

Travis Mash decided to make a comeback in Olympic lifting at the age of 33, which most Olympic lifting ?experts? say is impossible. Now that is bad-ass.

He has elite status in the 198, 220 and 242 pound weight classes. His best lifts include a 970 squat, 705 bench press and an 804 deadlift; all done in the 220lbs class. He made history at the 2004 GNC Show of Strength by totaling 2414.

[quote]4est wrote:

Westside Style meets Olympic Lifting.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westsi de_meets_olifting.htm

Travis Mash decided to make a comeback in Olympic lifting at the age of 33, which most Olympic lifting ?experts? say is impossible. Now that is bad-ass.

He has elite status in the 198, 220 and 242 pound weight classes. His best lifts include a 970 squat, 705 bench press and an 804 deadlift; all done in the 220lbs class. He made history at the 2004 GNC Show of Strength by totaling 2414.[/quote]

Great contribution 4est! That was great! Thanks.

thanks guys for the help…
i think its time to pump those muscles now