Afrocentric School Set to Open

This article:

…is from about a year ago, though the first one is due to open shortly. Tho it’s Canadian politics, I am interested in seeing a discussion of the subject with my open-minded American friends.

This is Racisim in action. The new age of racism. Whites need not apply.

Open minded???

And you posted your question here because…?

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Open minded???

And you posted your question here because…?

Mufasa[/quote]

Entertainment :slight_smile:

I thought segregation was bad…

Edit: The idea that black students would do better under an unapologetically segregated, non-multicutural, non-diverse school, implies the same for white students. Do they really want to start down this road?

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Edit: The idea that black students would do better under an unapologetically segregated, non-multicutural, non-diverse school, implies the same for white students. Do they really want to start down this road? [/quote]

hmmmm…

[i] The school would be open to all students.

…she worried that the school would “segregate” students.

…During her presentation, Ms. Harrow said misinformation has buried the truth. The proposal “is not a black-focused school, is not a school for only black students,” Ms. Harrow said. She added that an Afrocentric school would “nurture and support” all children as they strive to succeed.
[/i]

Are you all arguing AGAINST charter schools here? Just checking.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
This is Racisim in action. The new age of racism. Whites need not apply.[/quote]

The way I’m reading it, they want to use different teaching methods.

Did you even read the article?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
This is Racisim in action. The new age of racism. Whites need not apply.[/quote]

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Edit: The idea that black students would do better under an unapologetically segregated, non-multicutural, non-diverse school, implies the same for white students. Do they really want to start down this road?

hmmmm…

…During her presentation, Ms. Harrow said misinformation has buried the truth. The proposal “is not a black-focused school, is not a school for only black students,” Ms. Harrow said. She added that an Afrocentric school would “nurture and support” all children as they strive to succeed.
[/i]

Are you all arguing AGAINST charter schools here? Just checking. [/quote]

Of course it’ll segregate students…If the curriculum is “Afro-centric,” it is segregated. Being Afro-Centric, I’d easily wager the population of this school will be largely, Afro-student. Why isn’t it “Canadian-Centric?”

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:

hmmmm…

[/i]

Of course it’ll segregate students…If the curriculum is “Afro-centric,” it is segregated. Being Afro-Centric, I’d easily wager the population of this school will be largely, Afro-student. Why isn’t it “Canadian-Centric?”
[/quote]

1. So you don’t like charter schools? Would you be against a “mathematical” charter school? Or one based on “music”? “Engineering”?

2. Having only worked in inner-city schools in the states, I cannot say for sure, but do you think that surrounding schools might just have a certain level of “segregation” already?

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:

hmmmm…

[/i]

1. So you don’t like charter schools? Would you be against a “mathematical” charter school? Or one based on “music”? “Engineering”?

2. Having only worked in inner-city schools in the states, I cannot say for sure, but do you think that surrounding schools might just have a certain level of “segregation” already?
    [/quote]

Well, I’m for private schools. So, there you have it. What I’m looking for is consistency. I’d like to know how you would feel about a deliberately and intentionally targeted “Caucasian-Centric” school.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
This article:

…is from about a year ago, though the first one is due to open shortly. Tho it’s Canadian politics, I am interested in seeing a discussion of the subject with my open-minded American friends.[/quote]

Afro-centered education doesn’t teach kids how to live in America/Canada. That’ll be really helpful…if you want to farm in Zimbabwe, I guess.

So are the classes going to be in ‘ebonics’?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Did you even read the article?[/quote]

Yes, and I hold others to the same standard of ethics and code that is expected of and practiced by me. This does not even go in the same direction.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
So are the classes going to be in ‘ebonics’?[/quote]

Yes, …by a gay, transexual, Irish atheist who was once Catholic.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
SpartanX wrote:
So are the classes going to be in ‘ebonics’?

Yes, …by a gay, transexual, Irish atheist who was once Catholic.[/quote]

thats not very afro-centric…

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:

hmmmm…

[/i]

[/quote]

id easily wager you have no clue what you’re talking about. look at US college afro-centric majors , they don’t separate their students. or the francophone elementary and middle schools that are in the US, they dont do it. Theres even a trilingual school in my area. their curriculum is divided into german french and us history. they done segregate either.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Yes, and I hold others to the same standard of ethics and code that is expected of and practiced by me. This does not even go in the same direction.

[/quote]

You might find that there are white people who would benefit from a different teaching style. No where in that article did I get the impression it was a “black-only” school.

Perhaps it is marketed wrong, but I see nothing wrong with trying new teaching styles. If it fails and they hold on to it, then I might think there is something wrong.

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
Sloth wrote:

hmmmm…

[/i]

id easily wager you have no clue what you’re talking about. look at US college afro-centric majors , they don’t separate their students. or the francophone elementary and middle schools that are in the US, they dont do it. Theres even a trilingual school in my area. their curriculum is divided into german french and us history. they done segregate either.
[/quote]

So, tell me you’re just as fine with an intentionally Caucasian-Centric school, that advertised itself as such.

Wait, aren’t we all the “same”? Isn’t race just a skin color with no bearing on anything other then just that, color? Weird.