T Nation

Afraid to Be Fat for Summer!

Hey guys so I’m 16 and I’m caught in between a decision to bulk or to cut. I have been lifting for a year or so and I am currently about 15% body fat at 140lbs standing at 5’6. My diet is very clean and consists of whole eggs, chicken breast, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and all kinds of veggies. I’m currently only eating 1800 ish calories a day. My bench is at a 170 max, my dead lifts are at 300 for one rep, and my max squat is 230.

Do you think I should try to lean out more or just try to do a clean bulk and minimize fat gain. I heard it is bad to cut at my age since my hormones are all crazy and I should be properly fed. Any advice for me would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Just lift and eat you could put on another 30 lbs and still be skinny

Adding muscle mass will increase caloric expenditure resulting in further fat loss. No need to bulk if you are starting off. Just life with a good program.

You are 16. Your hormones are about to peak over the next few years. Eat. Sleep 8-9 hours and do a decent strength program (5/3/1, Starting Strength, 5x5, whatever) and toss in some bodybuilding stuff at the end. You will grow, lean out and get big. Don’t fall for the “skinny with abs” trap. It’s retarded. Good for weak hipsters coz it’s easy not to eat but too hard to train heavy.

DONT CUT. You have nothing to cut at 140 you will look like a concentration camp victim please for your own good don’t do it. Hell I’m 5’6"-7" and am 225 and don’t think even im ready for a true cut. Just eat good clean food 90% of time but don’t be afraid to chow down,at your favorite buffet place once a week. I would up the calories abit 1800 is pretty low for anyone trying to gain strength I would at minimum shoot for 2300 a day and 200g of protein a day the rest good carbs and fat.

Get on a solid program the ones stated above are great but I would also like to add WS4SB to that list.

Just remember abs on a guy who has them just because he is skinny are useless anyway. Their kinda like big titties on a fat chick no one is impressed.

Dont cut! Train,eat,sleep,repeat! Once you get to 500 dead,400 squat,300 bench,200 standing press & 20 chins,you can contemplate cutting.
Good luck!

[quote]logancincp wrote:
Hey guys so I’m 16 and I’m caught in between a decision to bulk or to cut. I have been lifting for a year or so and I am currently about 15% body fat at 140lbs standing at 5’6. My diet is very clean and consists of whole eggs, chicken breast, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and all kinds of veggies. I’m currently only eating 1800 ish calories a day. My bench is at a 170 max, my dead lifts are at 300 for one rep, and my max squat is 230.

Do you think I should try to lean out more or just try to do a clean bulk and minimize fat gain. I heard it is bad to cut at my age since my hormones are all crazy and I should be properly fed. Any advice for me would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone [/quote]
Damn man, you are in your best few years to get stronger/bigger. Eat, and lift hard. You will not regret it, and 140 is incredibly skinny (you have no considerable muscle to show).

Get your chin/pull up strength up, your dip strength, and improve your strength ratios for the squat/bench/deadlift while slowly adding body weight. You won’t get fat, you’ll probably actually look leaner, and at the very least stay at about the same leanness, but look a lot bigger. Also what exactly have you eaten yesterday, the day before, and the day before that? Along with what has your lifting looked like the past several weeks?

Thanks guys I guess I just get caught up in all this six pack bullshit. Appreciate the advice. Do you think if I have been eating at 1800 I should increase my calories slowly or can I just go straight to higher calories. And in response to DSSG I have been eating a lot of eggs, chicken breast, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, almond butter, and just straight up butter. I tend to lift about 6 days a week as there’s not to much to do where I live.

I just really started to focus on strength more and have seen gradual improvements in all my lifts. I usually train one barbell movement at 5x5 and then another barbell movement at 3x10, I then move on to all my auxiliaries.

there’s nothing wrong with wanting a 6-pack dude, but a 6 pack on a dude with muscle is a totally different animal to someone who’s so skinny you can see their abs (and bones…).

Like the other guys have said, just get on a good routine, eat well (cut the sugar) and enjoy your teenage years.

I wouldn’t worry about calories, just eat good nutritious foods at every meal, being sure to get a good serving of protein every meal.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Hell I’m 5’6"-7" and am 225 and don’t think even im ready for a true cut.[/quote]

OP, don’t go overboard with anything. Eat a bit more than you need and work hard in the weight room no more than 3-4x/week. Run hills if you want to do more. Don’t cut, don’t bulk;; those words didn’t even exist before steroids.

[quote]logancincp wrote:

Do you think I should try to lean out more or just try to do a clean bulk and minimize fat gain. I heard it is bad to cut at my age since my hormones are all crazy and I should be properly fed. Any advice for me would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone [/quote]

Do neither. Instead, eat til you’re full all the time (whole, proper foods if you can) because you’re a teenager and not eating till you’re full right now is stupid.

Lift and run and do a bunch of physical activity to promote hormone production and to get your body constantly rolling in the growth department.

Have you hit your growth spurt yet?

Fat is not your enemy right now, under-eating and inactivity is. Give your body every reason it can have to grow right. If you’re worried about gaining fat, then just do some form of running/sprints. It’s really easy to do incline runs on a treadmill, and they kick your ass too.

Eat, eat, and then eat some more. You are 16. You are growing. That means, incidentally, that you are in the most naturally anabolic period of your life. Older bodybuilders take testosterone and growth hormone supplements because they are trying to get back the testosterone and GH levels of a 16 year old. Enjoy it while it lasts, if you eat a lot and lift smart you’ll set a great base line of fitness for your adult life.

[quote]Reed wrote:
DONT CUT. You have nothing to cut at 140 you will look like a concentration camp victim please for your own good don’t do it.

Just remember abs on a guy who has them just because he is skinny are useless anyway. Their kinda like big titties on a fat chick no one is impressed.[/quote]

Lmao

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Hell I’m 5’6"-7" and am 225 and don’t think even im ready for a true cut.[/quote]

OP, don’t go overboard with anything. Eat a bit more than you need and work hard in the weight room no more than 3-4x/week. Run hills if you want to do more. Don’t cut, don’t bulk;; those words didn’t even exist before steroids.
[/quote]

I just see no point in cutting until your going to look like a freak nasty beast… And I know I have a problem but I like it.