T Nation

Afraid I Won't Be Ready for FB Season

I train 5 days a week. I currently am a Quarterback at my highschool. I’m a sophomore and i play varsity, my dream is to play at the collegiate level and hopefully one day compete in the NFL. My trainer works a lot on balance and core work for me because that is the main thing that is used for quarterbacks. I still lift weights with him and speed train daily. I trust what he is doing because he played for the New York Giants as a running back.

However, I’m afraid that im not seeing results. And wont be ready for the season because he doesn’t work on conditioning me that much. So i thought i would start performing HIIT.

My plans are to do the following:
3 sets of:
- 30 second jog - 15 second sprint
- 12 Jump Squats
- 12 Jump Squats
- This completes 1 set
Rest 30 seconds
Repeat for 3 sets
Then after completing this i thought i would do 3 sets of the following:
- 30 second light jump rope - 20 second very fast jump rope
- 15 Puhsups
- 12 Pushups
- This completes 1 set
- Rest for 30 seconds
Repeat for 3 sets.

I wouldn’t worry about conditioning at all until 6-8 weeks out from camp.

If your trainer was a former pro, I’d definitely listen to him. He’s been where you want to be. Talk to him about your concerns, don’t just add in extra stuff as you see fit.

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
I train 5 days a week. I currently am a Quarterback at my highschool. I’m a sophomore and i play varsity, my dream is to play at the collegiate level and hopefully one day compete in the NFL. My trainer works a lot on balance and core work for me because that is the main thing that is used for quarterbacks. I still lift weights with him and speed train daily. I trust what he is doing because he played for the New York Giants as a running back.

However, I’m afraid that im not seeing results. And wont be ready for the season because he doesn’t work on conditioning me that much. So i thought i would start performing HIIT.

My plans are to do the following:
3 sets of:
- 12 Jump Squats
- 12 Jump Squats
- This completes 1 set
Rest 30 seconds
Repeat for 3 sets
Then after completing this i thought i would do 3 sets of the following:
- 15 Puhsups
- 12 Pushups
- This completes 1 set
- Rest for 30 seconds
Repeat for 3 sets.
[/quote]

Ok from my perspective as Ive been where you are and I am where you wanna be.

1. Why are you jogging?
  2. Why are you sprinting for 15 seconds?
  3. Why are you doing pushups during a leg dominant workout?

I played D1 ball. As a general rule athletes go through 3 phases of training in the off-season:

Strength building
Gaining lost strength from the season, building more strength and mass.

Power improvement
Training new strength and mass to move explosively, speed work, plyo, etc…

Conditioning
6-8 weeks out you start running and conditioning other ways. Typically one loses a marginal amount of strength and mass during this phase, thus the reason it is not done year round.

Trust your trainer. He won’t steer you wrong.

[quote]SOCMSuperman wrote:
I played D1 ball. As a general rule athletes go through 3 phases of training in the off-season:

Strength building

Power improvement

Conditioning
6-8 weeks out you start running and conditioning other ways. Typically one loses a marginal amount of strength and mass during this phase, thus the reason it is not done year round.

Trust your trainer. He won’t steer you wrong.[/quote]

Where did you play because Im surprised at the number and the phases you go through as I am currently about to walk on and I do something completely different.

I think so much of it is position specific and you’re program looks good for a QB.

I don’t have a big time college football background. I had 1-AA and D2 offers despite a whole bunch of behavioral red flags…expelled from a high school, time in juvie hall. I went Juco, but behavioral issues were still there. Truth is I had fell in love with the weights and steroids and didn’t keep up my running which was a big mistake. The same big mistake alot of my friends made. So when I see these threads I feel compelled to tell people involved with football to keep up the running and agility work. The weights will make you a better player, but it shouldn’t be the only focus of you’re training. So much of football training is position specific, and I don’t think steroids or 300 lbs + of body mass is the way to go if you’re a high school lineman.

[quote]John33 wrote:
SOCMSuperman wrote:

Strength building

Power improvement

Conditioning

Trust your trainer. He won’t steer you wrong.

Where did you play because Im surprised at the number and the phases you go through as I am currently about to walk on and I do something completely different.
[/quote]

I played at ECU under John Thompson. different schools do it different ways, but as fas as I can tell through discussion/research, that seems to be fairly common, or something quite similar.