Afghanistan

Speaking of Afghanistan,

I’m guessing that was bound to happen. Seeing how the US decided to create a terrorist haven in Iraq instead of dealing with the one already present in Afghanistan.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
You gents are missing your chance: Here you are in your boring little jobs, spending nights trying to rub up your little peckers against your honey, getting drunk/high and bad mouthing your country…when you could be over there in a fight to the death! Didn’t you guys ever watch ‘Fight Club’? Imagine the sheer joy of blowing some raghead shitwad’s head off, at the risk of him doing it to you! That’s got to be the most exciting moment of your life!

I am, lamentably, too damn old to do this and I’m telling you gents…get in on the action now! Do you really want to spend your days coasting like now or going balls to the wall? Don’t do like I did…go for it!![/quote]

Keyboard jingoism, nothing like it. Do you actually know anyone who has served in combat? It changes people, and not too many of them have fond memories of it. In my limited experience, most men who have served in combat do not like to talk about it. There’s a reason for that.

I love the reference to fucking Fight Club too. Wow.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Speaking of Afghanistan,

I’m guessing that was bound to happen. Seeing how the US decided to create a terrorist haven in Iraq instead of dealing with the one already present in Afghanistan.

[/quote]

I know how to turn this situation around. Instead of saying the Taliban attacked a US base and killed several soldiers, we need to spin it so the Taliban attacked “a wedding party” and killed “several women and children.”

Once we level the playing field, we may have a shot at beating these guys.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
lixy wrote:
doogie wrote:
lixy wrote:
Or like none of the people in the people in the Bush administration or Congress would be caught dead pimping war to their kids.

http://www.iowacaucus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NEWS/711110003/1011/IOWACAUCUS

That, you’ll agree, is quite exceptional.

Not really. FDR’s son fought in WW2. Gore’s father was a Senator when he was an Army reporter in Vietnam and I am sure there are plenty more. [/quote]

These are your two examples to refute Lixy’s claim that McCain is an exception and that generally the political elites of today tend not to get their kids involved in the military?

Oh dear.

This round goes to Lixy.

Did you read the article? The round goes to doogie.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Did you read the article? The round goes to doogie.[/quote]

There’s no question that the children of today’s elites do not serve in the military. McCain’s son is a notable and honorable exception.

None of you guys have read Fields of Fire? “They are not McNamara’s sons, or Bundy’s. I doubt they’re yours.”

[quote]GCF wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
lixy wrote:
doogie wrote:
lixy wrote:
Or like none of the people in the people in the Bush administration or Congress would be caught dead pimping war to their kids.

http://www.iowacaucus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NEWS/711110003/1011/IOWACAUCUS

That, you’ll agree, is quite exceptional.

Not really. FDR’s son fought in WW2. Gore’s father was a Senator when he was an Army reporter in Vietnam and I am sure there are plenty more.

These are your two examples to refute Lixy’s claim that McCain is an exception and that generally the political elites of today tend not to get their kids involved in the military?

Oh dear.

This round goes to Lixy.[/quote]

We have only had a couple major wars in the last 60 years. President’s son fight sin one. Presidential candidate’s son fights in another. Sitting president doesn’t have sons. Other major presidential candidate doesn’t have children of age.

I haven’t even bothered to do any research but there are many more in our government that have sent their sons
to fight in various wars.

Lixy is dead wrong.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
Did you read the article? The round goes to doogie.

There’s no question that the children of today’s elites do not serve in the military. McCain’s son is a notable and honorable exception.

None of you guys have read Fields of Fire? “They are not McNamara’s sons, or Bundy’s. I doubt they’re yours.”[/quote]

Rich people serve less often than poor people. We know that. Many still serve. Even the royal family sent a son to fight.