Afghani Bound?

Afghanistan Supermodels - Girls gone Wild in Burkas

I have a proverbial shit-ton of patients (ok, maybe not a whole “shit-ton” but at least a few) who seem to be leaving for overseas to fill minor working positions (like loading and unloading merchandise) because they will get paid way more than they do here. These aren’t military personnel nor are they expecting to be in a war zone.

How good can it be that it is now more attractive to leave this country to earn more money?

Is this happening all over?

My buddy is going to Iraq to work for a year. I think you have to be there for 11 months, and all of the money becomes tax free. He said he will make around $250k, much of it tax free, as opposed to his $60k/year salary over here.

My brother-in-law works in Egypt getting paid huge cash for an oil company… He used to work here, but he took a transfer in the company to Egypt as he now gets paid in 6 figures to drive a truck around the dunes and take pictures (literally). He also only works 4-6 weeks at a time, then the company flies him anywhere in the world he wants to go for 4-6 weeks, then back to work for 4-6 and so on…

Not to mention, because he’s in a compound and not really permitted to leave, he saves huge cash out of his 6 figures…

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:
My brother-in-law works in Egypt getting paid huge cash for an oil company… He used to work here, but he took a transfer in the company to Egypt as he now gets paid in 6 figures to drive a truck around the dunes and take pictures (literally). He also only works 4-6 weeks at a time, then the company flies him anywhere in the world he wants to go for 4-6 weeks, then back to work for 4-6 and so on…

Not to mention, because he’s in a compound and not really permitted to leave, he saves huge cash out of his 6 figures…[/quote]

I’m not saying this isn’t true, but this sure as shit sounds a lot like people who went to college (trade school equivalent in the US) that always try to tell me their 1 or 2 year program is gonna make them $10k/month immediately upon graduating.

I don’t think all the money in a warzone is tax free - I’d have to ask some buddies, but I know as a contractor oversees (hooray Germany) my first $86K or so is tax free. You’re limited to no more than 30-35 days in the US within a given tax year though. And the remaining income is taxed at the rate that you would be taxed at if all your income counted.

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
I don’t think all the money in a warzone is tax free - I’d have to ask some buddies, but I know as a contractor oversees (hooray Germany) my first $86K or so is tax free. You’re limited to no more than 30-35 days in the US within a given tax year though. And the remaining income is taxed at the rate that you would be taxed at if all your income counted.[/quote]

There you go. That’s what he said. Like $80k tax free. But I also think he is making ridiculous per diem.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

How good can it be that it is now more attractive to leave this country to earn more money?

[/quote]

so good i’m surprised you haven’t sold out and done some work over in the sandbox as a doc.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Professor X wrote:

so good i’m surprised you haven’t sold out and done some work over in the sandbox as a doc.
[/quote]

Had I known the land of opportunity was now a pile of sand, I probably would have. I am actually surprised at how many people are doing this. I now work in what is probably a middle to lower middle class neighborhood and many of these guys who were working at places like Fed Ex or UPS seem to be getting out of the country for months at a time.

It doesn’t look like we are on top as a country anymore and the damage was done long before this year.

Says the economist. We are on top and won’t lose that position unless something more drastic happens. It’s called globalization it’s not like these people are getting payed by newly established Afghani businesses.

Good morning, Sir.

USA is still the best to make a shitload of money if you have an idea that will appeal to the endless masses of the not-so-smart unmotivated population over here (oh yes I did!), but other than that, not as prosperous as it used to be. The income gap keeps on instantly increasing and the opportunities to make money are not as abundant as they used to be.

Another thing that I wanted to point out for a while is that the standard of living here in USA is “inflated”. What I mean by that is that a vast number of people would have significantly less things they “own”, such as cars, plasma TVs, bling,… if they had to ACTUALLY pay it in full up front as it’s done (or at least used to be done) overseas

/twocents

EDIT: but hey, what do I know, right? I’m just a 22year old schmuck that hasn’t been around long enough, right?

[quote]drewh wrote:
Says the economist. We are on top and won’t lose that position unless something more drastic happens. It’s called globalization it’s not like these people are getting payed by newly established Afghani businesses.[/quote]

QFT, these people are still working for American businesses.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
drewh wrote:
Says the economist. We are on top and won’t lose that position unless something more drastic happens. It’s called globalization it’s not like these people are getting payed by newly established Afghani businesses.

QFT, these people are still working for Private businesses. [/quote]

fixed

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
drewh wrote:

QFT, these people are still working for Private businesses.

fixed[/quote]

What does that change? Not to mention many times these private businesses have contracts with the American government.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
drewh wrote:

fixed

What does that change? Not to mention many times these private businesses have contracts with the American government.[/quote]

That the profits go into pockets of private persons, and not the US.
So the whole “these people are still working for American businesses” doesn’t REALLY apply.
I’m not picking on you, just saying that it’s not how it looks like. Unless I misunderstood something, which is possible.

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
drewh wrote:

fixed

What does that change? Not to mention many times these private businesses have contracts with the American government.

So the whole “these people are still working for American businesses” doesn’t REALLY apply.
I’m not picking on you, just saying that it’s not how it looks like. Unless I misunderstood something, which is possible.[/quote]

The point is that it’s not like there is so much opportunity in other countries that living in the US is undesirable. It’s businesses based in the US, started by American businessman, many times with contracts with the US government that are creating this opportunity.

And besides, not all of the businesses are private. Some of them are public enterprises with stocks on some exchange (nasdaq, etc.).

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
jCaesar88 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
drewh wrote:

fixed

I’m not picking on you, just saying that it’s not how it looks like. Unless I misunderstood something, which is possible.

The point is that it’s not like there is so much opportunity in other countries that living in the US is undesirable. It’s businesses based in the US, started by American businessman, many times with contracts with the US government that are creating this opportunity.

And besides, not all of the businesses are private. Some of them are public enterprises with stocks on some exchange (nasdaq, etc.).[/quote]

Some of these businesses are starting to move head quarters over seas for better tax treatment. This country used to give tax incentives to people that created jobs. Now middle income people are wanting to work overseas so they can keep their money and not pay taxes, and it sure is not going to get any better.

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:
Professor X wrote:It doesn’t look like we are on top as a country anymore and the damage was done long before this year.

Good morning, Sir.

USA is still the best to make a shitload of money if you have an idea that will appeal to the endless masses of the not-so-smart unmotivated population over here (oh yes I did!), but other than that, not as prosperous as it used to be. The income gap keeps on instantly increasing and the opportunities to make money are not as abundant as they used to be.

Another thing that I wanted to point out for a while is that the standard of living here in USA is “inflated”. What I mean by that is that a vast number of people would have significantly less things they “own”, such as cars, plasma TVs, bling,… if they had to ACTUALLY pay it in full up front as it’s done (or at least used to be done) overseas

/twocents

EDIT: but hey, what do I know, right? I’m just a 22year old schmuck that hasn’t been around long enough, right?[/quote]

I have to agree with that. Most of the people I know don’t actually own most of the shit in their possession. It is apparently impressive that my truck is paid off according to some I know. I guess I could be driving a brand new car and wearing diamond earrings bigger than J-Lo’s left ass cheek if I didn’t care about charging it all and being in debt for the rest of my life for it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jCaesar88 wrote:
Professor X wrote:It doesn’t look like we are on top as a country anymore and the damage was done long before this year.

Good morning, Sir.

/twocents

EDIT: but hey, what do I know, right? I’m just a 22year old schmuck that hasn’t been around long enough, right?

I have to agree with that. Most of the people I know don’t actually own most of the shit in their possession. It is apparently impressive that my truck is paid off according to some I know. I guess I could be driving a brand new car and wearing diamond earrings bigger than J-Lo’s left ass cheek if I didn’t care about charging it all and being in debt for the rest of my life for it.[/quote]

The U.S. government is the worst culprit of the buy now, pay later mentality. Our only saving grace (so far) is that so many other industrialized countries are in deeper problems than we are.

I’m a USAF Utilities Craftsman. I can get out and do my job over there as a contractor and make 4 or 5 times as much as I do now.

I won’t, that seems like privateering. And I get more satisfaction out of serving my country than some would think possible.

Out of curiosity, Prof, is the grass greener on the other side? The Pediatric Cardioligist I had to take my first son to said his base pay (Lt Col) would barely cover his malpractice on the outside.

The gravy train of Dubai is starting to come to an end, but you can make a very good amount of money in places like Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain.

The downside is that you have to live in places like Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain.