T Nation

Affording the Right Foods

I am a 21 year old, 5’6, 165lbs guy studying at university.

I am currently training high repetitions with kettlebells/bodyweight exercises and intense cardiovascular training activities. my current goal was to get lean, which with this training I can say I am. I am sitting around 10% BF at 165lbs at the minute.

Due to my schedule of classes at university I can only manage 3 meals per day.

my diet looks like…

Breakfast = bowl of porridge with 2 scoops of whey protein, 2 eggs and a portion of green vegetables.

2nd meal = 2 chicken breasts, 3 eggs and green vegetables.

3rd meal = steak, 3 eggs and broccoli.

and before bed I would have 2 scoops of whey protein and a banana.

(the meat in these meals vary from red meats to poultry to fish of different days)

I am currently planning on changing my goal to adding more lean muscle mass to my body.

To do this I am going to change my training to incorporate lower reps in exercises such as squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, rows, presses, cleans and snatches.

My only problem is tweaking my diet.

I think I should be adding carbs such as sweet potatoes and brown rice into my diet. is this correct???

If so I would find it hard to afford such meals as I am already out a fortune with my current diet…supplements and rent.

Are there less expensive alternatives to bulking foods??

[quote]dibley wrote:

Are there less expensive alternatives to bulking foods??
[/quote]

eggs. brocolli. spinach. chicken breasts. peanut butter.

The only supplement you might wanna splerge on is whey; and maybe fish oil.

Cheap bulking foods:
Rice
Eggs
Milk
Olive Oil
Potatoes
Ground Beef
Tuna

Join a “wholesale club”, look for sales, coupons etc etc…

If you only have time for three meals, eat more at these times.

Try to make time (10min, 3x a day) to sneak out and toss back some food.

thanks guys…you say peanut butter as in the everyday one on the shelf in shops???..or organic stuff with less fat??

also supplements im on are…whey protein/glutamine/BCAA and organic barely grass

natural peanut butter, without the sugar don’t worry about the fat

the other stuff’s like candy

[quote]dibley wrote:
thanks guys…you say peanut butter as in the everyday one on the shelf in shops???..or organic stuff with less fat??

also supplements im on are…whey protein/glutamine/BCAA and organic barely grass[/quote]

Absolutley ditch the glutamine. Not cost effective, read the current glutamine thread.

i just want to ask about the peanut butter. ive just bought some organic peanut butter from the supermarket. When and how much of this do i take???

also…if i remain on my current training which is training with high repetitions with kettlebells/bodyweight exercises and intense cardiovascular training activities, will i bulk up at all??

or will i have to change to heavier compound movement to do so??