T Nation

Affirmative Action in Academia

“In higher education, affirmative action has led to the hiring of incompetent, often openly racist black and Hispanic professors. It has further led to the creation of entire disciplines �?? black, women�??s, Hispanic and gay studies �?? exist in order to generate propaganda rationalizing affirmative action, and for the sake of hiring incompetent hate mongers.”

http://www.globalpolitician.com/24559-affirmative-action

"Since minorities were having trouble passing, the English Department chairwoman, Dr. Catarina Edinger, eliminated the NJBST altogether, expanded the time allotted for the essay exam from 20 to 75 minutes, gutted essay grading standards, and overrode instructors who failed minority students.

Most of one such 75-minute final essay, from 1994, follows.

My father is the one person who I can truly say has helped me through school and work and just life in general, he has helped me to learn how to wash my clothes by showing me in detail from what Detergent to use Down to how long it will take them to Dry, and when ever I had trouble with school work he allways sat down and showed me what I was doing wrong and then showed me the right way and made me pratice it many times over, for example when the time I didn�??t know how to Do frations he showed me how to do them and then tested me on them. There was a nother time when my father tought me how to Lift weightfirst he bought a weight set then we started from the brench press to the squat, he tought me ever thing I know�?�.

Rather than sanctioning WPC, in 1997 the State of New Jersey rewarded WPC officials for their fraud by promoting the school to university status."

As an example of this right here on T-Nation is Aleksander, who probably misspelled his avatar. I’ve shown him to be a race-baiter, paranoid, a liar, and a hypocrite. He apparently teaches in Canada, so pity those poor unfortunates. He also appears to be about as bright as a steaming pile of dog shit.

What’s with you and race?

An identity mid-life crisis?

Affirmative action is just one of many problems causing the dumbing down of American Universities. There has been a big push by universities and society in general to send more and more people to school. There is also the increased acceptance of going to community college for two years first, and the universities accepting these credits. There is now a mentality that failing students is bad, and when they fail it is the professors fault, not the students. Throw in tenured professors and the overblown emphasis on athletics and there is really a recipe for disaster.

I can’t wait until Obama wins and sends everybody to college for 4 more years of high school.

Someday people will realize that college isn’t for everybody and there is nothing wrong with not going. There are numerous respectable careers out there for high school and votech grads.

The thinking has become that going to college makes one smart and successful, when the whole time until now it was simply that successful kids go to college, and successful kids become successful adults. In other words, college doesn’t make you successful, it is for the successful.

[quote]lixy wrote:
What’s with you and race?

An identity mid-life crisis?[/quote]

If you can read what I posted and then write what you did, you are beyond help. I’ll try, but there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Well i think the main issue with affirmative action that people refuse to talk about is that it is an inherently racist program. If i am white, which i am, and i am just as qualified for a position as a black man, i will not get the job based on race alone. How is that not racist? I have friends/relatives in pharmacy and medical school, all white, and all at a disadvantage to any minority who is in the same program. it is a classic case of “racism” only being accepted as white people hating minorities, the door doesnt swing both ways.

More from the link:

“With the advent of affirmative action, activists demanded that largely unqualified black and Hispanic teachers, administrators, and staffers be given control over the education of black and Hispanic children. The result has been the destruction of millions of urban black and Hispanic children�??s life chances. In New York alone, for example, thousands of black and Hispanic �??teachers�?? cannot pass the New York State certification exam, even though the exam is dumbed down anew on behalf of just those test-takers on a yearly basis. (A committee determines which questions black and Hispanic test-takers most frequently answer incorrectly, and eliminates them. You can�??t make this stuff up.) As a result, impoverished New York children endure �??educators�?? who have flunked an eighth grade-level test as many as 24 times.”

It seems the purest evil one can do to a group of people is to ‘help’ them. Libs have a LOT to answer for.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

As an example of this right here on T-Nation is Aleksander, who probably misspelled his avatar. [/quote]

Actually, YOU misspelled it. There is no “e” between the “d” and the “r”. It’s what happens when you transliterate the name from Cyrillic to Latin. But I’m sure you knew that, since you are such a clever fellow.

I am shocked and horrified that shitty schools of which I’ve never heard have shitty standards. Thanks for the insight, HH. But I’m curious, why do you think the authors attribute it to race? I think they are paranoid, and trying to find racism everywhere.

What do you think?

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
Well i think the main issue with affirmative action that people refuse to talk about is that it is an inherently racist program. If i am white, which i am, and i am just as qualified for a position as a black man, i will not get the job based on race alone. How is that not racist? I have friends/relatives in pharmacy and medical school, all white, and all at a disadvantage to any minority who is in the same program. it is a classic case of “racism” only being accepted as white people hating minorities, the door doesnt swing both ways.[/quote]

I can think of a few examples of when giving preference to hiring people of a certain race would be a good idea. For example, if you owned a grocercy store in a city that was 45% black, it would be to your advantage to have some black employees to make customers of all races feel welcome. A police precinct in a neighborhood that was mostly hispanic would be well served to have a few hispanic officers, both male and female, so that the residents of that neighborhood can relate to the police, and don’t feel like the police are outsiders. Obviously, the hispanic recruits should meet the same qualifications as any white recruits, but all other things being equal, being a hispanic cop in a hispanic neighborhood would have advantages.

I am against quotas that are imposed from outside, and against lowering standards to fill quotas, obviously.

More from the link:

"Affirmative action in medicine has also cost lives. Los Angeles-area Dr. Patrick Chavis was celebrated by the New York Times and Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Ma.) as an affirmative action poster boy. Chavis was an unqualified black applicant who was accepted by the University of California-Davis medical school, in the place of qualified white applicant, Allan Bakke. In 1978, Bakke sued the UC system all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, and won.

By 1996, Patrick Chavis was an ob-gyn who, without bothering to complete the necessary training, performed liposuction on female patients. When three of Chavis�?? patients hemorrhaged, he ignored their pain, and refused them treatment. One of the women, Tammaria Cotton, died. It was not until Chavis had killed a patient, that the Medical Board of California, citing 94 charges of gross negligence against him, revoked his medical license."

Affirmative action, doing good wherever it spreads…

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I am shocked and horrified that shitty schools of which I’ve never heard have shitty standards. Thanks for the insight, HH. But I’m curious, why do you think the authors attribute it to race? I think they are paranoid, and trying to find racism everywhere.

What do you think?[/quote]

When someone uses race as a criterion for admission to a program or in hiring someone, that is racism. Pointing this out, that others are using race to promote an agenda, is not in itself racism.

Here’s a famous ex of AA:

“Martin Luther King plagiarized in college-Truth!
The staff at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Papers Project discovered a lot of plagiarism in Martin Luther King’s writings and in a 1991 article in THE JOURNAL OF AMERICAN HISTORY said that “plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings” including his doctoral dissertation.”

The white judges of MLK’s dissertation let all this slide because ‘he’s a poor black man’. Racism, plain and simple.
Not being racist, I’d have kicked his ass out of college.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:

What do you think?

When someone uses race as a criterion for admission to a program or in hiring someone, that is racism. Pointing this out, that others are using race to promote an agenda, is not in itself racism.

Here’s a famous ex of AA:

“Martin Luther King plagiarized in college-Truth!
The staff at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Papers Project discovered a lot of plagiarism in Martin Luther King’s writings and in a 1991 article in THE JOURNAL OF AMERICAN HISTORY said that “plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings” including his doctoral dissertation.”

The white judges of MLK’s dissertation let all this slide because ‘he’s a poor black man’. Racism, plain and simple.
Not being racist, I’d have kicked his ass out of college.

[/quote]

It seems to me like YOU are making the assertion that it was because of race. Or did his committee use the phrase “poor black man” in justifying their decision?

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
why do you think the authors attribute it to race? I think they are paranoid, and trying to find racism everywhere.[/quote]

Well, affirmative action regularly allows incompetent applicants a free ride based on their race.

Then these candidates, who were given a free ride based entirely on their race, fuck up in the real world.

Looks to me like an argument against affirmative action and nothing to do with “race”, other than that affirmative action is based on it.

ElbowStrike

I agree especially with Hedro - great fucking post.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I am shocked and horrified that shitty schools of which I’ve never heard have shitty standards. What do you think?[/quote]

Since yer asking, I’ll tell you what I think. I know these “shitty standards” happen at some of the best & most well-known schools in the country. Ever hear of Cornell West?

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:
why do you think the authors attribute it to race? I think they are paranoid, and trying to find racism everywhere.

Well, affirmative action regularly allows incompetent applicants a free ride based on their race.

Then these candidates, who were given a free ride based entirely on their race, fuck up in the real world.

Looks to me like an argument against affirmative action and nothing to do with “race”, other than that affirmative action is based on it.

ElbowStrike[/quote]

I think there’s a pretty big misconception about what affirmative action does, and why. For example, the wikipedia page on AA contains an entry for Canada that is incorrect.

For the record, the only form of AA that I endorse is targeted recruiting, but this only works if the organizations are not being discriminatory in their hiring. Unfortunately, discrimination against Black applicants is extremely common, and white applicants have been found to receive callback rates between 50 and 500% higher than those of identically qualified black applicants. This is an ubiquitous finding among many, many peer-reviewed studies using various approaches to matching the Black and White applicants, ranging from using stereotypical names, to using past affiliations to signal race, to using live actors. It’s especially interesting that, when live actors were used, the Black actors had no idea they were being discriminated against until they were debriefed at the end of the study. In many instances, the black applicant was told the position had already been filled, but the white applicant (who interviewed immediately after the black applicant) was offered the job, clearly showing that the position had in fact not been filled.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:
why do you think the authors attribute it to race? I think they are paranoid, and trying to find racism everywhere.

ElbowStrike

I think there’s a pretty big misconception about what affirmative action does, and why. For example, the wikipedia page on AA contains an entry for Canada that is incorrect.

For the record, the only form of AA that I endorse is targeted recruiting, but this only works if the organizations are not being discriminatory in their hiring. Unfortunately, discrimination against Black applicants is extremely common, and white applicants have been found to receive callback rates between 50 and 500% higher than those of identically qualified black applicants. This is an ubiquitous finding among many, many peer-reviewed studies using various approaches to matching the Black and White applicants, ranging from using stereotypical names, to using past affiliations to signal race, to using live actors. It’s especially interesting that, when live actors were used, the Black actors had no idea they were being discriminated against until they were debriefed at the end of the study. In many instances, the black applicant was told the position had already been filled, but the white applicant (who interviewed immediately after the black applicant) was offered the job, clearly showing that the position had in fact not been filled.[/quote]

So what? Even if true (links?), who gives you or anyone else the right to tell who they may hire? If someone is ignorant enough to not hire someone because of race, having an oppressive government enforce some BS rules won’t cure it.

Now we get back to black culture. Most white people get their impressions of black people from media and trips to the mall. Black people have to overcome a lot — dressing like Snoopdogg and wearing pants below the asshole sticks in our minds.

Anyway, stick to the topic.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

So what? Even if true (links?)
[/quote]

I know this may be a surprise to you, but privately run wackjob websites are not the best source of information. If you want the articles, do a search on scholar’s portal.

So you’re saying that most white people have negative impressions (stereotypes, if you will) about black people based on media portrayals and trips to the mall, and that qualified, competent black people are, as a result, not getting jobs due to racial discrimination. So far, I totally agree with you. This position receives strong empirical support. I also agree with you that preferential hiring practices make a bad situation worse. That’s why the only form of AA I recommend is targeted recruiting.

What do you recommend.

P.S. I don’t have links, because this info is not from a website, it’s from peer-reviewed journals. If you are interested, do a search on scholar’s portal, or even google scholar.

Amazing how a race that is clearly a minority get special treatment based on such.

The problem is PC gone mad.

Unfortunately, racism necessitates AA. When people start looking at things in terms of pure competence, then things will be better.

But that won’t happen any time soon, will it?

Do you think hiring teachers/profs who tell black and hispanic students that they are being crushed by the white man is intelligent? How about saying: 'Technology is making it impossible to earn a decent living with mere physical prowess. The days of tweaking a bolt on a Caddy are over. You will only be rewarded for thinking.

No doubt you will encounter racism. But look at the Japanese and Koreans. The white man has little love for them and they are (the Japanese) the highest income group in America. Why? By dropping out of high achool? By having lots of kids out of wedlock? By dressing like a slob in public? Change your ways, or stay in poverty.’

Instead, we get hate-filled ranters and paranoids who hunt for racism everywhere.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:

I also agree with you that preferential hiring practices make a bad situation worse. That’s why the only form of AA I recommend is targeted recruiting.

…[/quote]

Completely agree.