T Nation

Affect of Caffeine

I am very curious about the affect that caffeine has on the nervous system and the adrenal gland…

Taking caffeine before a workout has helps me perform better. I have noticed though that after taking it and when i am done lifting, my body goes into a low state where i am a lot more tired and exhausted. This does not happen when i forgo the caffeine.

I also notice when i stop taking caffeine all together it takes me a week or two to get back to normal.

Does caffeine burn out the nervous system and/or the adrenals?

It seems like a huge upper for me, but it also has a difficult downer. I will probably just quit taking it, but i am honestly just curious as to the affect it has on the body.

I have the same problem. If I drink a diet rockstar or something similar I get super jittery and nervous.
I dont like the feeling and it is highly addictive for me, anyway.

I just stay away from the stuff all together and I feel better without it

I know caffeine does ‘clog’ up the adenosine receptors in the brain temporarily.

Adenosine is normally a relaxant/depressant (not sure the right term), but caffeine does go in the receptors and prevents adenosine from doing its job, less relaxant neurotransmitters = more excitable state.

However, this does cause a build-up of extracellular adenosine, so when the caffeine is broken down (or otherwise leaves) the adenosine can ‘rush in’ to its own receptors, causing a (relatively) big drop in energy.

I don’t think it would ‘exhaust’ the adrenals if used in moderation, I, however, do not know at what level of caffeine would adversely effect the adrenals; I am thinking in the 300-400mg per day range would be safe

Oh, and it’s effect, not affect… </grammar nazi>

I agree that it’s a very individual issue of sensitivity. However, I know of little (if any) credible evidence or even anecdotal reports that suggest that for the overwhelming majority of people that 200-400 mg./day causes any serious problems–at least over resonable periods of time, such as 6-8 weeks say.

I do think that it’s probably a good idea to cycle off (or at least significantly cut back on) the use of any stimulants periodically. I also think the whole issue of receptor downregulation or insensitivity to stimulant use is overblown, at least from a fat loss perspective. Some of the old Canadian research on ephedrine and caffeine used very high dosages and seemed to show that fat loss continued months into use!

Crowbar

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
I am very curious about the affect that caffeine has on the nervous system and the adrenal gland…

Taking caffeine before a workout has helps me perform better. I have noticed though that after taking it and when i am done lifting, my body goes into a low state where i am a lot more tired and exhausted. This does not happen when i forgo the caffeine.

I also notice when i stop taking caffeine all together it takes me a week or two to get back to normal.

It seems like a huge upper for me, but it also has a difficult downer. I will probably just quit taking it, but i am honestly just curious as to the affect it has on the body.
[/quote]

friend, what your experiencing is a caffeine crash. it gets you high, then it gets you slow and lethargic. your caffeine sensitive. stop having coffee, have green tea instead.

[quote]Sepulnation wrote:
vikingrob wrote:

friend, what your experiencing is a caffeine crash. it gets you high, then it gets you slow and lethargic. your caffeine sensitive. stop having coffee, have green tea instead.[/quote]

x2
Green tea = bliss.

I noticed when I stop using caffeine I’m more sensitive to it when I start using it again. If I stop cold, I get headaches for a day or two. I use caffeine to help me with my workouts too, and I do not experience a down at all. Everyone reacts differently, of course. I can also drink coffee and go right to bed and sleep just fine where others say it would keep them up all night. The human body is strange and often unpredictable.

Caffeine is basically artificial norepinephrine.

I often dont feel as if i’ve had a good workout if i dont have my two caffeine pills. They make me focus, give me energy and make me go hard. When the caffeine crash comes along, just have another coffee!!

OP this isnt directly related but i believe i read that caffeine hurts your insulin sensitivity pretty hard, which obviously you want to avoid at all costs around a workout so i avoid it. work out for a few weeks without it and you will start to feel good during your workouts… Surge Workout Fuel also helps.

[quote]Xab wrote:
Caffeine is basically artificial norepinephrine. [/quote]

Caffeine is a natural substance found in plants such as coffee. Coffee beans grow on coffee plants. What is artificial about that?

I fucking love caffeine. I can’t tell if I am addicted or not. I havent gone a day without caffeine in at least 8 months. Effects of Caffeine? Hmm, well for some it MAY cause anxiety. I used to get panic attacks and my shrink told me to stay away from it. I couldn’t! It speeds up your heart rate, it’s believed by some to have a mild diuretic effect, and it lowers blood sugar. “I mean, if you don’t like caffeine, why don’t you just get the hell out of here.” -Steve Buscemi kind of

[quote]davidcox1 wrote:
Xab wrote:
Caffeine is basically artificial norepinephrine.

Caffeine is a natural substance found in plants such as coffee. Coffee beans grow on coffee plants. What is artificial about that?[/quote]

I meant artificial in the sense that it’s not produced in the human body. That wasn’t really clear. Allow me to clarify.

Caffeine is basically exogenous norepinephrine.

Oh, and it’s effect, not affect… </grammar nazi>

x2 That was the first thing that I noticed. hahah

[quote]diatonix wrote:
OP this isnt directly related but i believe i read that caffeine hurts your insulin sensitivity pretty hard, which obviously you want to avoid at all costs around a workout so i avoid it. work out for a few weeks without it and you will start to feel good during your workouts… Surge Workout Fuel also helps.[/quote]

I workout with caffeine and arginine and I always feel great!

I have been taking 400-800 mgs of caffeine off and on, mostly on, for years and notice no ill effects. Just more intense workouts and higher body temperature.

Caffeine is sad…

Caffeine is actually like adenosine… oh and the word isnt artificial, I think he meant to imply ‘exogenous’.

[quote]diatonix wrote:
OP this isnt directly related but i believe i read that caffeine hurts your insulin sensitivity pretty hard, which obviously you want to avoid at all costs around a workout so i avoid it. work out for a few weeks without it and you will start to feel good during your workouts… Surge Workout Fuel also helps.[/quote]

LOL this is some grade-A bro science right here. Please tell me where you heard that.

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
Taking caffeine before a workout has helps me perform better. I have noticed though that after taking it and when i am done lifting, my body goes into a low state where i am a lot more tired and exhausted. This does not happen when i forgo the caffeine.[/quote]

Maybe because you’re having a more intense workout? Does that seem too obvious?

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
I also notice when i stop taking caffeine all together it takes me a week or two to get back to normal.[/quote]

Caffeine is highly addictive and if you quit abruptly, you can feel like crap, especially for the first few days (headaches, irritable etc). Better to taper off over time.

What are you taking pre-workout? There are some pre-workout supplements that seem to have ridiculous amounts of caffeine. I tried one “INTENSE!!!” pre workout powder that had so much caffeine that I had to take a dump immediately. The first time I took it, I couldn’t fall asleep until 12 hours past my bedtime. I did have good workouts on it, though.