Aesthetic Bodybuilding Routine Critique

• Squat 3x8-10
  • Bench press (20-30 degree incline) 3x8-10
  • Weighted Pull up 3x8-10
  • Overhead press Behind the neck 3x8-10
  • Weighted Gorilla Chin (chin up + leg raise) 3x8-10

3x a week

Any opinion?

What is the difference between an aesthetic bodybuilding routine and a bodybuilding routine?

More aesthetically pleasing when you write it down? You 'mire yourself in the mirror between sets?

Never heard of ‘Gorilla Chin’. Why not just do 5x5?

[quote]tagan wrote:

• Squat 3x8-10

3x a week

Any opinion?[/quote]

There’s no curls!

No direct arm work, no lateral raises, no rowing, no hamstring exercises…the routine isn’t very aesthetically pleasing to me

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
No direct arm work, no lateral raises, no rowing, no hamstring exercises…the routine isn’t very aesthetically pleasing to me
[/quote]

Agreed. You need more assistance work if you want an “aesthetic bodybuilding” routine.

[quote]tagan wrote:

[/quote]

Be careful with these. I did them fine for several months, then one session I decided to lower the bar all the way to my traps and do a session. It didn’t hurt at the time.

But now I’ve had shoulder pain for the last 3.5 months because of that one session. Even working with a sports medicine doctor it’s taking a really long time to heal.

So, just, be careful. Assuming you even have the flexibility to get the bar back there, I wouldn’t take the bar much below the ears.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]tagan wrote:

[/quote]

Be careful with these. I did them fine for several months, then one session I decided to lower the bar all the way to my traps and do a session. It didn’t hurt at the time.

But now I’ve had shoulder pain for the last 3.5 months because of that one session. Even working with a sports medicine doctor it’s taking a really long time to heal.

So, just, be careful. Assuming you even have the flexibility to get the bar back there, I wouldn’t take the bar much below the ears.[/quote]

I’d question why do them at all when there’s no traditional OHP in the program. It’s more risky for certain populations and you can’t load it as much as an OHP.

[quote]tagan wrote:

• Squat 3x8-10

3x a week

Any opinion?[/quote]
Actually a pretty solid routine if you added DB rows and got rid of the gorilla chins, got rid of the oh press and added side delt work and bi and tri work

But I thought if I squatted 3x per week my arms would grow to be 20" just like that :frowning:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
What is the difference between an aesthetic bodybuilding routine and a bodybuilding routine?

More aesthetically pleasing when you write it down? You 'mire yourself in the mirror between sets?[/quote]
sorry, i thought aesthetic is more muscle size, bodybuilding is building body. so i thought aesthetic bodybuilding is good muscle body building.

[quote]TheMasterTurtle wrote:
Never heard of ‘Gorilla Chin’. Why not just do 5x5?[/quote]
not sure if 5x5 is ok for CNS when doing 3x a week.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
There’s no curls![/quote]
oh i thought chin up is good enough to hit bicep.

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
[/quote]
oh hmm. it means that

No direct arm: bench press and overhead press doesnt hit tricep? chinup doesn’t hit bicep?
No lateral raise: overhead press doesn’t hit delts side?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

So, just, be careful. Assuming you even have the flexibility to get the bar back there, I wouldn’t take the bar much below the ears.[/quote]

Thanks, will use standard overhead press (front)

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
Actually a pretty solid routine if you added DB rows and got rid of the gorilla chins, got rid of the oh press and added side delt work and bi and tri work[/quote]
Ok

• Squat
  • Pull up
  • Bench press
  • Rows
  • Lateral raise
  • Bicep curl
  • Skull crusher

this?

Add stiff legged deadlifts at the end or after squats. You need something for your hamstrings. Also only do 2 sets for each exercise (to failure) and add in calves as well. Do seated calf raises one day and then standing the other

OP, where are you from?

No offense but your views and thoughts about training are pretty off base, bud.

Good muscle body building as opposed to bad muscle body building. Interesting.

Why not just go for a run with a 20 pound dumbbell in each hand and holding a loaf of bread between your jaws? That way you’ll “hit” ALL your muscles, guaranteed.

[quote]tagan wrote:
No direct arm: bench press and overhead press doesnt hit tricep? chinup doesn’t hit bicep?
[/quote]

[quote]tagan wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

More aesthetically pleasing when you write it down? You 'mire yourself in the mirror between sets?[/quote]
sorry, i thought aesthetic is more muscle size, bodybuilding is building body. so i thought aesthetic bodybuilding is good muscle body building.

[quote]TheMasterTurtle wrote:
Never heard of ‘Gorilla Chin’. Why not just do 5x5?[/quote]
not sure if 5x5 is ok for CNS when doing 3x a week.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
There’s no curls![/quote]
oh i thought chin up is good enough to hit bicep.

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
[/quote]
oh hmm. it means that

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Thanks, will use standard overhead press (front)

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
Actually a pretty solid routine if you added DB rows and got rid of the gorilla chins, got rid of the oh press and added side delt work and bi and tri work[/quote]
Ok

• Squat
  • Pull up
  • Bench press
  • Rows
  • Lateral raise
  • Bicep curl
  • Skull crusher

this?[/quote]

Skull Crushers tend to bother a lot of people’s elbows after a while (as the weight gets heavier) and they really only hit the lateral and medial Triceps heads effectively IME. Try Deadstop extensions:

or PJR Pull-overs:

instead as those tend to put less wear and tear on the elbow joint and hit the long head of the triceps more effectively.