T Nation

Aerobic vs Anaerobic Ratio

I run about 15-20 miles per week in addition to about 3-4 days of weight training. Sometimes I run and lift on the same day but not at the same time. Other days I do it back to back.

How does aerobic exercises effect weight training progress?

They cause seperate and somewhat conflicting adaptations. Alot depends on your goals, what are you trying to achieve?

What I would ideally like to achieve is having a strong, ripped upper body and a lower body that can handle the endurance of extended running. I do only do a little weight training on my lower half. I naturally have big legs (thanks mom) so I not worried about the chicken effect.

I don't know if my body will conform to the potential conflicting agendas or learn to adapt to whatever I dish out.

Thanks

I think it really depends. Some people some to be able to handle strength training and aerobic training concurrently, while others need to focus more on one or the other. Personally I didn't start making any real progress with strength until I ditched all the steady state aerobic exercise, but others won't be effected by it that much. Try it out and see. Also, if you don't want to be very big or very strong, you'll be able to tolerate alot more. Most people can be alot stronger then they are and still run 10-15 miles per week. (Of course, they still won't be that strong in the grand scheme of things, but they're tons stronger then the average fat-body who sits at home eating ho-ho's.)

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just keep pluggin' along. The reason why it has been an issue lately is because I've really started to hit the weights harder.

Lifting will always be my first priority so if I'm not getting the results I want, I'll back off the running.

I'll check back in and give an update to anyone who cares.

I agree. I've lost a good bit of muscle since I've started marathon training, going from about 190 at 5'7 quite low bodyfat to somewhere in the 170s. But it doesn't bother me. And I'm doing a lot more mileage than you are. My best strength and size gains came with minimal aerobic activity. But mileage like you are talking about, 10-15, didn't destroy progress for me.

How much more muscle do you want to gain and what is your diet like? Make sure you are well-fueled on running days. And I would say try to separate running and lifting whenever possible. Eat for the activity you are doing.