T Nation

Advising Women to Lift Heavy)

Very happy to see one of our bigger papers publishing a column advising women to lift heavy. For those of you who aren’t from around these parts, we don’t have nearly as strong an iron/lifting culture (from my little understanding of how things are around here) even amongst men. So it is nice to see this. Enjoy.

Nice. I wish more women thought this way.

I’ve been seeing a lot of new years advice type columns and it seems like most of them are at least advising women to lift something that they can’t do more than 15 reps with…it’s a start at least.

most women I know think they shouldn’t lift heavy weights

sexist pricks.

my girl is 24 and 115lbs, living on poptarts and pepsi, she started working out last spring, and I put her on stronglifts, just like I recomend to all kids in the gym for the first year, right now she’s squating 205x5, deadlifting 315x1(straps) and benching her BWx5, she wants to do a fitness show this spring. The best thing I did was train her the same as the guys,she has transformed her body her diet and self cofidence, AWESOME !!!

It would take years of hard consistant training (and possibly drugs) before a women would have to worry about becomming to muscle bound( if it’s even possible)
some women I have trained seem to think going near free weights, will blow them up, if only it was that easy.

Anytime; my wife still worries about that. Which is boggling because I sure as hell haven’t blown up, and I lift heavier weights than she ever probably could…

Why emphasize numbers at all with women? Do they need…does anyone need heavy weights to look better?

Increase MMC
Increase Volume
Decrease Rest Periods
Assign Proper Nutrition

Simple. Train your girls that way if all that matters is looks…strength comes with it also.

No need to Squat DL or Bench PL numbers.

it’s hard, almost every women I’ve trained, starts off with a fear of bulking up, with my girlfriend I just put her under the bar, and said do it, but with clients you have to be sneaky, I use goblet squats to teach form, and get them into squating, in fact one of my fav. routines to start women, is just goblets(10-15), ast. dip(8-12), and ast. pullup(8-12) x 5 circuts x 3 dayaweek,(2min stepmill per circut, opt.) it shows people how a little of the right exercises, can do more than hour of pink DB’s and machines everyday.

After two weeks on this routine, lady says she was starting to get little bumps on the back of her arms, she had this big smile on her face, she was hooked !

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
it’s hard, almost every women I’ve trained, starts off with a fear of bulking up, with my girlfriend I just put her under the bar, and said do it, but with clients you have to be sneaky, I use goblet squats to teach form, and get them into squating, in fact one of my fav. routines to start women, is just goblets(10-15), ast. dip(8-12), and ast. pullup(8-12) x 5 circuts x 3 dayaweek,(2min stepmill per circut, opt.) it shows people how a little of the right exercises, can do more than hour of pink DB’s and machines everyday.
After two weeks on this routine, lady says she was starting to get little bumps on the back of her arms, she had this big smile on her face, she was hooked ![/quote]

EXACTLY! Luckily for me my girlfriend does not have that fear haha…

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
After two weeks on this routine, lady says she was starting to get little bumps on the back of her arms, she had this big smile on her face, she was hooked ![/quote]

I would like to take this opportunity to thank T-Nation for its latest article regarding training for the ladies.

Saying that, sometimes no matter what you say, some girls just dont get it.

tweet

I don’t think they used the best picture for an article about getting girls to lift heavy

Indeed. There is no reason for women to lift any different than men. AnytimeJake said anything else I would have.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I don’t think they used the best picture for an article about getting girls to lift heavy[/quote]

Yeah agreed, a bit more attractive and feminine girl… Like Jelena in the other thread… I don’t understand why there is such a big myth about getting HUGE from lifting a little heavy a couple days a week for females… Hell even most males struggle to make progress after the initial gains period and stagnate… , even some posters on this site, was me for a while too…

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I don’t think they used the best picture for an article about getting girls to lift heavy[/quote]

YUP.

Big mistake. Why didn’t they use that cute chick who competed for GB at London 2012? Her face is better known because she was in the news.

I dont think you’d get much out of this except a tiny blip in numbers.

If women were to ditch the likes of COSMO, womens weekly etc for the figure athlete websites, they’d lose a lot of cash. Diet food companies would suffer aswell, the market techniques they employ would be seen as a load of horse shit for the first time by many.

You’d then get scare tactics and articles popping up about how weight lifting is terrible, how you can get injured and that it puts men off.

Nothing kills it more for a woman who is insecure than social media and other people shit down on her from a height she can’t even see.

Then you have the problems of “the freeweights area”. I know lots of people here know at least 3 women who are terrified of the freeweights area and what it represents.

Men, heavy shit and embarrassment. DOesn’t matter if the majority of men in it are half assed curler bro’s, they dont know that. All women assume men know what they’re talking about when it comes to weights.

Lets be honest here, it’ll take a sea change in attitude for more women to hit weight training regimes, that wont happen anytime soon.