T Nation

Advise For a Has-Been?

Hello, all.

I just began a three times weekly, full body program (ala Chad Waterbury). I've also added Biotest supplements for the first time (Grow!, Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, Metabolic Drive, Flameout, Surge Workout Fuel). My goals are to add mass and strength while leaning out. I'm currently appox. 220 w/ 12% BF, 39 years old. Background on me: Former competitive O-lifter, best lifts of 125kg. snatch, 162.5kg. C&J, No-No-No back squat @ 235kg, front squatted 190kg.

Goal is 25 reps on all exercises using approx. 6-rep max. My first FULL week looked like this (I'll use pounds):

Full/Olympic Back Squat @ 365 x 3-4-5-5-3-3-2
Incline Barbell Bench Press @ 245 x 5-5-5-3-3-3
Pull-Up (Close-Grip/Palms Facing) @ Bodyweight + 45lbs. @ 5-5-5-5-5

Snatch-Grip Deadlift @ 390 x 3-3-4-5-5-3-2
Barbell Row @ 286 x 6-6-6-6
Superset w/
Seated DB Press @ 90lbs. DBs @ 5-5-5-4-4-2

Power Clean @ 242 @ 5-5-5-4-3-3
Superset w/
Close-Grip Bench Press @ 230 x 5-5-5-5-5
Chin-Up @ Bodyweight + 65lbs. x 5-5-5-3-3-2-2

The concept and progam are fairly new to me. I've not done much benching of any kind for the past 8 years or so. The week felt very good, great in fact. I like the bigger lifts and do not want to focus on smaller movements. ANY thoughts and advice on my program are welcome and I'm looking for any recommendations I can get. I've only trained with O-lifters for the past decade...so...I can use some help.

Impressive resume. Glad to see you here. Carl Darby is a big O-lifter on this forum.

Thanks. Happy to be on the site. The forum was an added and unexpected bonus when I ordered the supplements. I'm looking forward to advice and input from some of you guys who've been doing NON-Olympic lifting training while I've been doing lifts, squats and pulls. This type of training makes me feel like a beginner again. I guess in sense I am a beginner. The positive there is that training is exciting again and I've set new goals for myself that I'm motivated to reach!

It is very easy and sometimes even motivating to get caught up in all kinds of training philosophies and strategies but it is also good to remember the basics that have withstood the test of time.

Try to do more every workout. More weight, more reps, more something

Training is when you tear down and recovery is when you build up. Both are equally important.

Lifting is for fun and to look good. Cardio keeps you alive. Look good, have fun and stay alive.

Welcome to the board.