T Nation

Advice: Wrestling-Useful Movements

This is the current workout that I've been using for a few weeks, can anyone gimmie some advice and tell me if it's good. I incorperated a lot of wrestling-useful movements while still trying to use lots of compound movements.

Day 1
Bench Press 5x5
Chest Press 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Dips 10x5
Barbell Curls 5x5

Day 2
Squats 5x5
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 5x5
Lunges 5x5
Powercleans 5x5
Barbell Curls 5x5

Day 3
Deadlifts 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5
Wide Grip Chins ups 10x3
Back Extensions 10x5
Barbell Curls 5x5

I do barbell curls at the end of every day because it's currently the one of the places where im lacking a lot of strength.

You tell us if it's good. Are you able to increase your poundages each week? Did you gain muscle? How are you looking in the mirror after using this program? Increased hunger? Soreness?

When your gains stop, it's time to switch your routine around again.

Generally, compound movements are a great way to build muscle and strength.

First impressions of the program... I would add some incline bench work into your routine. And how about adding a fourth day to work on weakpoint training. In otherwords, if biceps need work, dedicate a whole session to bicep blasting. Next time, you may want to hit shoulders, or calves, etc.

It will help shock the muscles into growing a little faster.

How's the diet? Are you eating enough?

How is the grip? Good grip is important for arm control, any time you have to lock hands, ah, heck- It's just realy important.
Whats your style like? A lot of takedowns, throws, strong on the mat?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459314

Try these-- phenomenal for wrestlers. If you want to add resistance get an old towel, cut 2 holes in it and tie a rope through the holes, then load the towel with weight, and rope it around your feet.

Another variation on this that is good for wrestlers are circles. Instead of walking forward/backwards, use the lid as a pivot point and rotate around it like the hands on a clock. You can go for speed or for # of revolutions. Don't forget to go both directions.