Advice Welcomed on Routine

I am a frequent reader of T-Nation but not a big poster. I am 38 and below is my workout regiment. I am not one bit knowledgable as most of you. I just go in the garage and lift. I of course try to keep good forum when lifting but just lift. Any advice would help. I do struggle to know where my balance is.

Mon-Wed-Fri = Run 4 miles (maybe 9 minute mile average)

Sun-Tues-Thus= Lift below but Sun 2x6, Tues 2x8, and Thurs 2x10. of course weight is lowered as reps increase.

Clean and Press
Squats
Bench
Deadlift
Cleans
One arm rows
Cl0se grip bench
Barbell curls

I know the runs are mabye not recommended but my days in the Marines keep me running and I like it. Well some days more than others. Like I said. I just go in the garage and lift.

what are your goals? maintenance/power/bulk etc.

i think the running is excellent for general fitness. welcome to the board.

Go to article section.

Need to get a training philosophy.

Have fun.

I would say I am both maintenance and strength.

i like your big compound lifts. if you are missing anything, i suggest it might be a chinup bar. you need a vertical pull exercise.

pullups and chinups, both with various hand positions will be a good addition.

good luck.

if what u r currently doing is working (acheiving the goals u have) stick with it. personally, i would not be able to do all of that stuff on the same day.

Clean and Press
Squats
Bench
Deadlift
Cleans
One arm rows
Close grip bench
Barbell curls

it would be very hard for me to be able to keep up my intensity for all of those lifts. add in warmups and id be in there forever. i find it easier to work out for shorter sessions. i feel it lets me lift heavier and i dont lose focus. a lot of times i do two sessions in a day.

[quote]djevelhundsc wrote:
I am a frequent reader of T-Nation but not a big poster. I am 38 and below is my workout regiment. I am not one bit knowledgable as most of you. I just go in the garage and lift. I of course try to keep good forum when lifting but just lift. Any advice would help. I do struggle to know where my balance is.

Sun-Tues-Thus= Lift below but Sun 2x6, Tues 2x8, and Thurs 2x10. of course weight is lowered as reps increase.

Clean and Press
Squats
Bench
Deadlift
Cleans
One arm rows
Cl0se grip bench
Barbell curls

I know the runs are mabye not recommended but my days in the Marines keep me running and I like it. Well some days more than others. Like I said. I just go in the garage and lift. [/quote]

Like others here, I have a bias against running, but the most important point is that whatever you do for training, it has to be fun. Else why do it?

That’s a lot of work in a session and your volume might eventually stall progress (but then - what program doesn’t suffer from that?). You’re wise to keep it to two sets. But, y’know, if it’s working’ for ya, keep on truckin! I’d personally do cleans OR deadlift in alternating sessions rather than both in the same session. Other than that I really like your exercise order. Natural movement from explosive to heavy work to assistance movements. Well thought out.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
djevelhundsc wrote:

Clean and Press
Squats
Bench
Deadlift
Cleans
One arm rows
Cl0se grip bench
Barbell curls

I know the runs are mabye not recommended but my days in the Marines keep me running and I like it. Well some days more than others. Like I said. I just go in the garage and lift.

Like others here, I have a bias against running, but the most important point is that whatever you do for training, it has to be fun. Else why do it?

That’s a lot of work in a session and your volume might eventually stall progress (but then - what program doesn’t suffer from that?). You’re wise to keep it to two sets. But, y’know, if it’s working’ for ya, keep on truckin! I’d personally do cleans OR deadlift in alternating sessions rather than both in the same session. Other than that I really like your exercise order. Natural movement from explosive to heavy work to assistance movements. Well thought out.[/quote]

Thanks. I actually only rest for 45-1 minute. The harderest is when I do day 2. My running is habitual. It keeps my weight down (200lbs). There are days i hate running and days I love it. Same as lifting. My whole time in the garage is no more than 35 minutes when I lift. I make every rep hard and intense with 3 breaths between each rep.

I appreciate all the replies. As I have said before, I am not an expert and lift based on what I know. I am not huge and sure my size is part from running, genetics, diet, and overtraining. I am 6ft and 200lbs so that is my ideal max weight for me. The summer I will shift to higher reps only to mix it up until fall again.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies.

FYI, I am going to buy that Iron Gym for pullups but skepital. It seems anything I use that has to touch a wall backfires. For $30 bucks why not plus it will be in the garage.

You’re doing a lot of work. Skid had a good idea of alternating deads and cleans. You could even do that with bench and close grip bench. But the basic, multi-joint lifts are the way to go.

Oorah, welcome to the place where old Marines and our groupies hang out. Happy birthday a couple weeks ago.

The only thing of value I could add is to change your exercises every couple weeks. I did the same workout for nearly 15 years with no gains. I started a “conjugated” system, and its made a big difference in how I feel.

I’d suggest swapping 1-arm rows and chest supported rows. Do squats and clean/press on one day, and do deads and power cleans on the other. When you have 2 big exercises like this on the same day, treat one as the money exercise (lots of sets of low reps) and the other as an accessory (a couple sets of lots of reps).

Like the others, I really do like your reliance on full-body exercises. I wish I had always been doing them.

As for running, I only hate it because I can’t do it.

Semper Fidelis
Old Lardass

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
Oorah, welcome to the place where old Marines and our groupies hang out. Happy birthday a couple weeks ago.

The only thing of value I could add is to change your exercises every couple weeks. I did the same workout for nearly 15 years with no gains. I started a “conjugated” system, and its made a big difference in how I feel.

I’d suggest swapping 1-arm rows and chest supported rows. Do squats and clean/press on one day, and do deads and power cleans on the other. When you have 2 big exercises like this on the same day, treat one as the money exercise (lots of sets of low reps) and the other as an accessory (a couple sets of lots of reps).

Like the others, I really do like your reliance on full-body exercises. I wish I had always been doing them.

As for running, I only hate it because I can’t do it.

Semper Fidelis
Old Lardass[/quote]

Well I actually got more into the full body exercises when I read about Mike Barwis (New U of Mich S&C coach). I always did squats and deadlifts but threw in the cleans, and clean and press. My routine wears me out but man I feel it in a good way. I will alter this new routine (had another version but got bored). I want to lower the miles on my runs but I am stubborn.

Good to hear from a fellow jarhead. Man I sure miss the Corps at times. Not the BS but the great ppl. I love this site but rarely post. I just try to read and absorb.

Semper Fi