T Nation

Advice to Get Strong/Reach Goals?

My goal is to get a very strong Front Squat, Deadlift, and Press. I have been lifting for about 10 months, so I’m not exactly new, but still a beginner. I weigh 170, and am almost 17.

Current/Goal
FSQ ~150/225
DL 255/315
Press 135/175

Not huge goals, but good starting places I think. What would be the best or fastest way to reach these goals?

[quote]Rigi wrote:
My goal is to get a very strong Front Squat, Deadlift, and Press.

…What would be the best or fastest way to reach these goals?[/quote]
You have powerlifting goals so use a powerlifting program.

Step 1) Research powerlifting programs

Step 2) Decide which one best suits you

Step 3) Do chosen program with consistency and intensity until you reach your goal

(other than that you are just asking for opinions)

Well wouldn’t a powerlifting program be based on the back squat/deadlift/bench? I guess I could switch some of the program around, but I don’t think it’d be the same. I am in a way asking for people’s opinions though

[quote]Rigi wrote:
My goal is to get a very strong Front Squat, Deadlift, and Press. I have been lifting for about 10 months, so I’m not exactly new, but still a beginner. I weigh 170, and am almost 17.

Current/Goal
FSQ ~150/225
DL 255/315
Press 135/175[/quote]
Dan John’s Southwood routine is perfect for you, for so many different reasons.

Also, understand that you’ll need to be eating appropriately and you’re almost certain to “accidentally” gain weight as you go along, especially since you’re nearly 6 foot. Tall strong guys are not skinny.

Something’s weird here. This is, like, the third or fourth thread in the last few weeks asking for the fastest way to their goals. Dude, fast is good, but the best way is to not try to get there fast. You’re crazy young and you’ll be lifting for decades. You’ve got time.

And along those lines, everything JLo wrote is an excellent general approach for the long-term.

[quote]Rigi wrote:
I am in a way asking for people’s opinions though[/quote]

[quote]
“There is nothing in the world so easy as giving an opinion; consequently, in general, there are few things so utterly valueless.”

~ Charles William Day[/quote]

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Dan John’s Southwood routine is perfect for you, for so many different reasons.

[/quote]
Good Guy Chris, always throwing people bones.

What are the chances the OP will succeed at any program if he can’t muster the tenacity to research things for himself?

I actually just read your comment in someone else’s post about wanting the fastest way right after I posted this, but it was too late for me to change the title and such. I do understand that it will take years, and I’m fine with gaining weight.

By eating appropriately do you mean enough calories and healthy? Or is some junk food acceptable?

Thanks

What makes you think that I haven’t done any researching for myself? All I did was make a post asking if anybody had any further advice. It can be a lot easier to understand or pick something when you can have a discussion about it, instead of just reading an article.

Also the Southwood program looks a bit push heavy. Not that I’m saying the upper back won’t be worked, cause I understand power cleans, front squats, and especially deadlifts will work it. But would it do any harm to keep doing db rows or pull ups?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Rigi wrote:
I am in a way asking for people’s opinions though[/quote]

Doesn’t mean that every opinion will be valueless.

[quote]JLone wrote:
What are the chances the OP will succeed at any program if he can’t muster the tenacity to research things for himself?[/quote]
I do tend to give more fish instead of giving out fishing line, but, meh, it’s my quirky way.

[quote]Rigi wrote:
By eating appropriately do you mean enough calories and healthy? Or is some junk food acceptable? [/quote]
For a 16 year old dude, I’d say “some junk” is fine every once in a while unless you’re already pretty fat. Don’t try to eat like a competitive bodybuilder, but do eat “good” more often than “bad.”

There’s also not much hamstring work, so we could add leg curls. And why’s it lacking an ab exercise? We should toss in crunches or planks. And, geez, where’s the arm work? Some curls and pressdowns would be fine.

Dan knows what he’s doing. Stick to the plan.

Alright. Well thanks for the responses. I’ll follow his program for the next 3 months and see where it goes

When your young and new, it’s best to stand on the shoulder’s of the men that have been where your headed. 1-3 years of following a good solid program, from a master, makes so much more sense than making it up as you go along, so maney young guys make this blunder.Pick a program for the goals you’ve chosen and follow it to the letter, you will learn your own body along the way. Good luck