Advice to Come to America

As some of you know, I have a desire to move to the US and become a citizen. Can anyone here advise how I would go about it?

Is an employee visa the best way, or should I aim for a lottery visa?

I am not an expert, but I believe the work visa would be a better plan than a lottery visa. EB2 visa is probably a good way to go, although depending on your job you might be an EB1. I am not sure how experience in law is classified honestly.

Regardless, I think that would be much better than trying for a lottery.

Do Ireland and America have a working holiday visa agreement?

Many Anglo countries have agreements for people ages 18-29 where they can live and work in each others countries for up to 12 months.

I’ll have to look into it, but that makes a lot of sense.

Just checked and they do have one. I’ll have to have a look into that, thanks!

The other choice is to enter a degree program here, but a work visa is the easiest approach

2 Likes

Appreciate the advice, guys. Apparently my other half’s employer has a Salt Lake city branch, so I am going to start researching this and look into a Utah extraction.

2 Likes

You could always jump the fence at the US/MEX border and just not leave.

Works for millions!

1 Like

No idea of your political and/or social leanings, but Utah is a very conservative state and still dominated heavily by the Mormon church. Just an FYI

Not a problem.

Maybe a little bit of a problem.

Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if a Coyote will take me from Belfast to the Rio Grande?

2 Likes

Coyote! You don’t need no stinking Coyote!

At this point it’s probably more difficult to get into Mexico than the US.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Mormons, great people. It’s the californians you have to look out for!

I Would love to relocate to Utah, california sucks.

1 Like

I am sure that the Mormons would frown upon my flirtations with alcoholism, and my foul mouth, but it sure beats a vegan slam poetry festival decrying my white privilege.

At least with the Mormons I could quit drinking, I’d have a greater struggle ceasing to be white.

2 Likes

I used to know a chick that liked to marry Irish guys for the period of time they needed. Legit, you paid her bills, you could live there, and request an exclusive relationship. However, if you wanted to, you could also be “swingers”.

She’s really into anal when drunk. Like really into it. I mean, that’s what I hear, lol.

As much as I’d love to see you come here, Just a head’s up on CA. It’s a liberal UTOPIA. On a positive note, we do have some fantastic weather. It’s not public record, but there are whole lot of rumors from people who do accounting that most of the liberal Hollywood types now have a “primary residence” in another state. FYI, @MaximusB The liberals don’t seem to believe in evolution. People will adapt (and move) in response to environmental change.

California has by far the highest state income tax. We have the highest capital gains tax. Our corporate state income tax is the highest west of Iowa – our economic competitors.

In addition, CA has the highest statewide sales tax. Our homeowner median property tax bill is 93% higher than the average for the other 49 states. Our CA total gasoline taxes are essentially tied with Pennsylvania as the highest in the nation. Our motor vehicle registration fees are higher than average. Our traffic tickets are literally TRIPLE the average of the other 49 states.

And yet our CA highway system is rated ninth worst in the nation.

Re: Utah. @UtahLama relocated there and loves it. I haven’t seen him around in a couple of weeks, but I’ll tag him here. I went to college there, and am Mormon so my experience may be different. I would absolutely consider retiring to Utah. If you love to hike, ski, just be outside, it’s absolutely gorgeous. I believe it’s a good environment for business. The percentage of the population that is Mormon is much less in areas like Salt Lake City. I know @on_edge has family in St George, and he is not Mormon so he could also give you an opinion.

1 Like

Yes people pay out the nose in California for those who might be thinking of coming here.

Puff, not sure if you heard, but the morons in Hackramento are toying with the idea of statewide single payer healthcare if Trump undoes Obamacare to a significant degree. When the numbers were crunched, it would require another tax increase of tens of billions, that may push the rich and businesses out of the state once and for all.

1 Like

many nation leading tax rates, hideous traffic, and whiny activist Liberal mindset…
The weather (from my limited several trips there) can’t be THAT great. :))

edit Forgot outlandish real estate values

2 Likes

The only time I’d like to work for the IRS is to audit and jail those Useful Idiots.

The older I get the more I dislike celebrity. However, the ones that keep their yaps shut about politics, religion and the 2nd? I’d let them be.

3 Likes

Chris Pratt is still staying strong. I reckon he’s a closet CA Republican.

2 Likes

CA does have Adam Carolla, Ben Shapiro and Andrew Klavan.