Advice to Beginner to Powerlifting?

(I’m older and exprianced lifter)

Hey all,

I have decide to compete in my first meet on Feb 7 2015. I have lifted on and off for years and want a goal now and the best way I know how to hit a goal is set an end date and build too it. So I have my day, now I need some input from the world. I will be competing in the SHW class at an amateur Push/Pull meet.

I did 1RM this week on bench and dead, admittedly I haven’t done one in a while and I was moderately pleased. I did 385# bench and 405# dead. I would like input on a realistic goal for really 90 days out and a direction where to look for a good program. I have no thoughts in my head of winning- At the last meet the SHW winner benched 585 and the dead winner did 705. I am doing this for me and for something to shoot for and to have fun with, one day I would hope to compete for some placements, but for now I want to get into the sport.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

You’re not likely to add much to your bench press in a short period of time, but your deadlift is lacking enough that it may be possible to add significant pounds by adjusting your technique.

The best thing to do would be to post a video. At the very least, we need to know if you’re pulling sumo or conventional.

If you want training advice, you should tell us what you’re training looks like right now, and what has worked for you in the past. Otherwise you’ll just get cookie-cutter responses that have as much benefit to you as a google search that you could have already done.

I don’t know what “older” means to you, but there are many guys in the O35 section who have years and years of training experience under their belt and also compete. They’re a really decent group.

[quote]jnorris1980 wrote:

I did 1RM this week on bench and dead, admittedly I haven’t done one in a while and I was moderately pleased. I did 385# bench and 405# dead. I would like input on a realistic goal for really 90 days out and a direction where to look for a good program. I have no thoughts in my head of winning- At the last meet the SHW winner benched 585 and the dead winner did 705. I am doing this for me and for something to shoot for and to have fun with, one day I would hope to compete for some placements, but for now I want to get into the sport.
[/quote]

This is just my opinion, but it has worked for me in the past

1. Don’t over complicate it. your main goal should be to go at least 2 for 3 in each lift. if you plan out your attempts correctly your 3rd should be a PR. A lot of things can change between now and then. I tweaked my back the morning of one meet (in the shower of all places) and dropped my openers a little, but still went 8/9 with 2 PR’s

2. I would take your 1RM and run with those for now in your program (I am still playing with programs so I won’t give my opinion on one for you). Once you get about 3-4 weeks out you should be adding triples, then doubles into your sessions. I use these to pick my first and second attempts…I don’t even think about 3rds until the day of the meet, and its usually just a range.

3. Speaking of attempts, attempt 1 should be easy. I usually pick something I can do for an easy triple. You DO NOT want to bomb out on your first meet. IPF had their worlds last week and about 10% of the lifters bombed out.

4. As flipcollar said, take videos and post them. You may think you paused/stopped the bar enough, or locked out your shoulders enough but a second opinion will only help you. plus someone might pick up a flaw in your form that could help you get even more.

5. Take someone with you that you trust, have them keep track of when you are up, grab food and water as needed, etc. that way you can concentrate on your lifts. plus the competition bug might bite them also and they end up competing with you at your next meet.

6. And this is the biggest one I can give you. HAVE FUN, and enjoy yourself. I have met a lot of nice people at meets, and even learned quite a bit. On my way home afterwards, i am sad it is over but I am chomping at the bits to get back in the gym as soon as possible to start getting ready for the next one.