T Nation

Advice: Rip Me Apart!

Background Info: I am a Marine Corps Vet so I am semi-decent shape (i.e. not a complete slob). However, in the year that I have been out, I have became rather pathetic. I've jumped from around 21-22% BFI to around 26%. The 26 value comes from the average of results from using 3 different methods of calculations (1: the Marine Corps method, and 2 different online calculators) and is by no means an EXACT calculation.

I recently started getting serious about going back to the gym and getting "in shape." This is also the first time I have tried seriously using supplements to "help out" with my new ambitions. My goals are to cut fat (ultimately would like to cut BFI by 10+%), increase strength, and build lots of muscle mass.

Current Supplement Stack:
Creatine: 5g 4xday (loading) and then drop down to only 2xday next week
HOT-ROX Extreme: 1 capsule 2xday to test ability to handle it, then will bump to 2 caps 2xday
(in the past, i have used other fat burners and they always made me jittery and gave me tremors)
TRIBEX Gold: 1 cap 2xday
BCAA: 3 caps 3xday (morning, before workout, and post workout)
L-Glutamine: 4.5g 2xday (before&after workout)
Cheap "Muscle Building Milk Shake" protein shake: 2xday (before and after workout, and an occasional one before bed but rarely)

Current Workout Plan:
1xday M-F (Keep in mind that I only have access to a rather simple all-in-one machine, a cycle machine, and an elliptical machine at the apartment "fitness center" at the moment)

MWF:
Chest Press: 4 sets, 10 reps, 110lb, 60-120s rest in between sets
Bicep Curls: 4 sets, 10 reps, 60lb, 60-120s rest (usually have to break the last set down in to 6reps@60lb then 4@50lb)
Incline Chest Press: 4 sets, 10 reps, 110lb, 60-120s rest
Leg Press: 3 sets, 10 reps, 50lbs, 60-120s rest (i have two very bad knees from military related injuries, so leg exercises are more for rehabilitation at the moment)
Bicep Curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 60lb, 60-120s rest
Chest Press: 3sets, 10 reps, 110lb, 60-120s rest
10-20 min of light-medium cardio on elliptical machine

TTH:
Seating Row: 4 sets, 10 reps, 110lb, 60-120s rest
Lat Pull Downs: 4 sets, 10 reps, 90lb, 60-120s rest
Tricep Pressdowns: 4 sets, 10 reps, 60lb, 60-120s rest
Sitting Leg Curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 80lb, 60-120s rest
Upright Rows: 4 sets, 10 reps, 60lb, 60-120s rest
Overhead Tricep Extensions: 4 sets, 10 reps, 50-60lb, 60-120s rest
Ab Crunchs: 4 sets, 10 reps, 80lbs, 60-120s rest
Shoulder Press: 3 sets, 10 reps, 100lb, 60-120s rest
Tricep Pressdowns: 1 set, 10 reps, 60-40lb, 60-120s rest (start at 60lb and decrease by 10lb as needed to achieve 10 reps)
Shoulder Shrugs: 4 sets, 10 reps, 80lbs, 60-120s rest
10-20 min of light-medium cardio on elliptical machine

Sat/Sun:
Rest

So now that you know my whole life, I ask for you to rip it apart with your advice. Should I continue along this path? Rearrange workout plan, etc? Would it be better to cut first and then build mass or vice versa?

I have been doing this routine for about a week now and was planning to continue it for the next 3 weeks or so until the summer semester starts. Then, I was considering trying the Velocity 3.0 diet on this site during the summer semester to cut up a bit before starting a mass building program again.

I will try to get some current pics posted soon to help out, but not sure how quickly I will be able to. So have it. What are all your thoughts, comments, concerns, etc?

Thanks guys!

Well, while it is theoretically possible to build muscle while losing fat, it probably would make more sense for you to choose one or the other. Assuming that your inital goal is fat loss, I would say your current program is way too much volume. Remember, the goal of weight training while trying to cut is to maintain as much strength and muscle as you can. I would probably keep my weight training to about 3 or 4 days a week and stick with more compound exercises in the 3-5 rep range.

Then on the off days, I would get my cardio in. Also, you didn't mention your diet. For fat loss, that is absolutely critical to get in order.

wall-o-text!

Ha! Yeah I know. I wanted to make sure I included as much info that people would possibly need to get the best advice.... Apparently not too many people frequent this forum, I guess.

Rip it apart. . .well, it's not what I would do at all. Why are you doing biceps curls twice in the same workout? and triceps pressdowns? Why are you doing so many sets of isolation movements and hardly anything for legs, when you need to lose a lot of fat? And yes, you should lose fat first if you're around 26% now.

For fat loss, don't waste your time doing arms at all. And why try to reinvent the wheel? Do Christian Thibaudeau's metabolic pairings or Destroying Fat program, along with his Refined Physique Transformation diet, and you will get great results.

Thanks andersons. I'll definitely look into those fat burning programs you mentioned. As for not doing much for legs, I mentioned that right now any work on them is mostly rehabilitative work as I destroyed one knee during military training and the other was injured later on in my military career. Therefore, my legs can't take too much at the moment. I'm trying to work them up to a point where I can start working them and building mass on them.

The second time around for bicep curls and tri. pressdowns is basically working them to failure. Again, I am still a beginner when it comes to this stuff. So if that is not a good thing, then I am obviously ignorant to that fact. That's why I'm posting here man. So that more knowledgeable people can help correct me and guide down the right path. Thanks again.

that looks fucking awful. PM Mr. Popular.

Stop giving advice. NOW.

what looks awful? My current routine? Who's Mr. Popular? Just ask him to check out this thread?

You're free to state your opinion and advice and any evidence for it, and so am I.

Yeah your routine looks like a cluttered mess. Keep it more simple. Simplicity and basics get you where you need to be in the smoothest less strenuous way possible. Make this more complicated then it should and you will fail.

Could possibly provide a suggested change up or example? Thanks again for the advice.

true....

plus:
-too much machince crap, stick to freeweights.
-your not doing any squats, deadlifts, bentover rows, standing shoulder presses, pullup/chin up, etc (aka the real stuff)

Oh and skip the Creatine, training 3X a week for an 1hr and 30mins (or so) doesn't call for it. Use the money to buy Flameout, and ZMA. Next to that is quality protein.

i' ve learned it the bad way, you can't out train a bad diet (failure in so many ocassions), so what does your diet looks??, i'm on a fat loss programm right now, and some of these guys halped me making a good diet, i'm also training 10 times a week (5 weights, 5 cardio)

i' ve learned it the bad way, you can't out train a bad diet (failure in so many ocassions), so what does your diet looks??, i'm on a fat loss programm right now, and some of these guys halped me making a good diet, i'm also training 10 times a week (5 weights, 5 cardio)

All you need and I think it suits your goals just fine. Many will vouch for its effectiveness.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/edt_lose_the_fat_keep_the_strength