T Nation

Advice Regarding Blood Test?

Hey fellas. A brief history – 36 years old, been training since early 20s, started cycling steroids from around 27 then moved on to a blast and cruise method the past 4 years or so. Only using test , either E or Cyp and never exceeding 750mgs. cruise was 200mg weekly. Arimidex was used throughout. Not much problems during this time.

Decided to taper off using 6 weeks of HCG. 1000iu HCG weekly split, and kept the HCG going after Test esters cleared for a further week, then swapped HCG for nova for 6 weeks at 20mgs per day. I didn’t want to use higher amounts as I read its not needed. This was to try for a baby. again small amounts of arimidex used.

Been finished PCT for 4 months now and … well I feel like crap, zero libido , no drive to make it to the gym, no interest in anything and that’s making it impossible to try for a baby. So I know I’m going to need TRT no doubt about it, but I would appreciate if someone could have a look over my blood results as I have a few problems, especially around the cholesterol section. Could this be because of low test? or more likely lifestyle?. I am 185 pounds . 5 ft 8 height . building some extra fat around the stomach mostly that I’m finding hard to shift, but not bad shape. Here is the blood results:

HAEMOGLOBIN (G/L) 158 g/L 130.00 - 170.00
HCT 0.456 L/L 0.37 - 0.50
RDW *16.1 % 11.50 - 15.00
WHITE CELL COUNT 7.8 x10^9/L 3.00 - 10.00

Kidney Function
CREATININE 99 umol/L 66.00 - 112.00

Liver Function
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 61 IU/L 40.00 - 129.00
ALANINE TRANSFERASE 28.9 IU/L 10.00 - 50.00
CK 173 IU/L 38.00 - 204.00
GAMMA GT 22 IU/L 10.00 - 71.00

Proteins
TOTAL PROTEIN 73.1 g/L 63.00 - 83.00
ALBUMIN 44.4 g/L 34.00 - 50.00
GLOBULIN 28.7 g/L 19.00 - 35.00

Iron Status
FERRITIN 188 ug/L 30.00 - 400.00

Cholesterol Status
TRIGLYCERIDES *2.61 mmol/L 0.00 - 2.30
CHOLESTEROL *5.06 mmol/L 0.00 - 4.99
HDL CHOLESTEROL *0.79 mmol/L 0.90 - 1.50
LDL CHOLESTEROL *3.08 mmol/L 0.00 - 3.0
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL *4.27 mmol/L 0.00 - 3.89

Heart Disease Risk
HDL % OF TOTAL *15.61 % 20.00 - 100.00

Thyroid Function
FREE T3 4.88 pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80
FREE THYROXINE 19.7 pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.26 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20

TESTOSTERONE 10.9 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40
FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED)*0.16 nmol/L 0.30 - 1.00
OESTRADIOL <18.4 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 51.2 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00
PROLACTIN 219 mIU/L 86.00 - 324.00

PROSTATE SPECIFIC AG(TOTAL) 1.22 ug/L 0.00 - 1.40

Any info appreciated . TRT candidate more than likely. What about the cholesterol ?
Thanks

You are stating that you have been on non-stop steroids for 4 years without supporting the testes with hCG or Nolvadex. Your testes and fertility might be damaged [expected].

Cholesterol is fine and should improve with better hormone status.

FT is very low and because FT is low, FT–>E2 is low so E2<18.4 is very low.

SHBG=51.2 is very high given that E2 is not driving up liver production of SHBG. Higher T levels might reduce SHBG. Liver problems can sometimes increase SHBG. Liver labs are good.

High SHBG is reducing FT by making a lot of non-bioavailable SHBG+T that inflates TT so that TT overstates your T-status. So your low TT is worse than it appears.

Sometimes we see unexplainable high or low SHBG.

You need to test LH and FSH to see if problem is pituitary or testes. Sometimes both.

Are testes small?
Hanging OK?
Did hCG and/or Nolvadex change any of the above?

Thyroid appears OK, but please eval overall thyroid function via oral body temperatures - see below

I strongly feel that you will need TRT=T+hCG+AI
You can do a fertility test at some point and then eval what hCG is providing you.

Sorry, can’t candy coat this… after 4 months of HPTA restart effort, if something was going to happen - should have seen it by now.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re Thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab numbers and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Thanks for the detailed reply! much appreciated. Yes pretty much although I did supplement with HCG during some cruises.

Any other clues what might be driving SHBG up? Could it possibly be low T. Will TRT lower this ?

I Had a blood test done in the last week of nova, it was only for TT. It came in at 17.5 nmol/l this was about 7-8 weeks after stopping T injections.

I have not tested FSH or LH yet, I will order up some bloods. My testes are hanging normal and they increased and stayed that way after PCT. So yes, my testes were small and the HCG blew them back up. The Nolvadex seemed to work as my test was higher on it than it is now. Its been a certain decline after PCT.

I will follow the thyroid temp check morning and afternoon for 7 days and check on that. Supplementing with sea kelp for iodine.

I knew I was going to need TRT either way. Thanks for replying … it has been a long lonely road up to now.

SHBG can be genetically high or diet, plant based diets and excessive alcohol. TRT can drive down SHBG freeing up more of your free hormones.

I will be honest, my diet hasn’t been the best, I’m depressed and have a nagging woman on my back. Its very hard to get motivated with these low test numbers.

I have been through it all with the doctors, but they don’t seem to have the understanding and are trying to stroke me off as normal and within range, when clearly I have terrible symptoms of low test.

I think I will just attempt going back on my TRT protocol because at least then I am able to have sex and enjoy life at the gym also. The fertility I am going to have to try to sort out with HCG, and see by a semen test if things are improving.

I will report back after 6-8 weeks with fresh blood results

It’s common for ignorant doctors to classify you as normal when they have no fucking clue one way or the other, they just want you out of their office because TRT is too difficult for them.

Basically they don’t know how to diagnose you and they don’t want to stick their neck out.

O I know all too well about the doctors miss diagnose people and hand out anti depressants etc . That’s why I just self administer. No choice really. I read from a URO saying him and his colleagues received basically no training in med school on diagnosing low test. This guy spent years to become a URO and only discovered the problem when he was diagnosed with low Testosterone himself . He says in his book if UROS receive no training then how much does the regular GPS get ?

The real problem is doctors make their money on prescribing prescription drugs, that’s how they pay their mortgages, not be prescribing testosterone. Patent = drugs = billions, illegal to patent testosterone = zero money.

This is why doctors are aren’t trained in TRT.

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I would post here, and keep my TRT progress to the one thread.

I am back on TRT again and have another problem that flairs up. This problem only started last year when I was on TRT - “Facial redness”. It isn’t the usual sunburn type redness that some guy’s get on Test, but more like rosacea - broken spider type veins on both temples, cheeks, and around the underside of my eyes. It can be worse some days and faded other days, so it isn’t permanent and must be brought on by something I am not aware off. There is no other redness on my body its only them areas of the face.

There are no raised bumps or anything. I was on Test for years before this started so its not new to the TRT as such but there does seem to be a connection to the severity of it when I’m on TRT. My blood results are above ^ before I restarted TRT nearly 2 weeks ago. Does this relate to anyone ? and is this related to any of these :

E2- now my E2 was tanked before starting so I haven’t touched an AI just yet
Diet - could it be food related ?
haematocrit - could this possibly raise over the threshold just 2 weeks in ?
Rosacea - maybe I have just came down with this unrelated or caused by TRT ?
Cholesterol - could it be bad cholesterol profile ?

It seems better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on. I have been on arimidex before and still had the problem. The doctor give me creams but they had zero effect. I have also tried a lot of over the counter creams etc and nothing worked.

Anyone can relate to this ? or have any idea what is going on ? I am on TRT test E 200mg per week split and 250 iu HCG twice a week, also about to start arimidex again at .5 twice a week. Not sure this is related to TRT, as I still had it to a milder degree while off for over 4 months. Thanks

Have you checked the type of oil used in the cypionate? Something has changed, whether it’s your body or something you’re ingesting or laundry soap from resting your head on your pillow. A few months after I started TRT all of a sudden my sinuses became clogged and I attributed everything to TRT, even my muscles spasms which was actually caused by sciatica which TRT just exacerbated by causing my muscle to swell and harden pushing on the sciatica nerve.

TRT might not be the cause, but it can exacerbate an existing medical condition. I wonder if the ingredients changed in the arimidex, HCG or cypionate…?

Yes I looked into the oils in the past and have tried switching from Cyp to E with different carrier oils. It didn’t seem to make a difference. With the ingesting bit, I’m not sure on that one, although it doesn’t seem to be an allergy as in hives or itch. Could one possibly get a reaction like mine without hives or itch?

It’s funny how you mention TRT might not be the cause, but it can exacerbate an existing medical condition. This does seem to be the case maybe. I’m not aware that the ingredients have changed, I’ve been using the same stuff for a long time.

Did you overcome your sciatica problem ? Around the time of this happening I also injured my pelvic floor and been going through lots of weird symptoms as the nerves down there are either damaged or compressed causing my genitals to get ice cold especially upon sitting, which is not a pleasant experience… I am getting some slight progress through physiotherapy. Thanks for the reply btw systemlord much appreciated.

I had sciatica pain. Pulled my back years ago, probably because my T was always on the low end along with the e2, I had epidural injections. Mine was due to bulging discs in lower back.

I learned that when I get sore in my back I just stop that activity ( use to overdue it) and ice lower back and anti inflammatory ( 600 mg advil or Motrin).
So even though you get shooting pain from butt down to leg, it most likely us a disk in the lower back hitting the nerve.
I also find a massage on the piriformus muscle to relieve symptoms. Also rolling that muscle on a tennis ball.

It’s just a pain in the butt!