Advice Please, My Workout Routine - I Don't Know What I Am Doing

Hi everyone!

I joined the gym almost a month ago. Mostly messed around since I don’t know much about workout exercises and mostly did cardio and leg exercises.

I want to overall increase my physical condition. I’ve been without exercise, besides some walking, since I join University (4 years ago). So I’ve been trying to do some cardio so I can actually run up stairs and I decided to also change the fact that I am basically a stick figure (Carrying stuff around can be harsh for me). Another thing is my knees, I have some knee pains, though since I started I notice some improvements.

I’m going to the gym 3 times a week. I got an app and choose a goal for each day:

• Legs and abs
  • Back and Triceps
  • Chest and Biceps
    Trying to follow this since this week began.

I kinda choose some exercises that the app says it works these areas based on how easy they look and on which machines are in the gym (did I say I’m a stick figure man?)

Legs and abs

• Bike warm up of 4 minutes
  • Stretching
  • Treadmill. Aiming to do a mile (1.6Km) or 10min (still haven’t reached it under 10).
  • Doing these 3 in a row, 3 sets:
    • Leg raise (lying) - 12 reps
    • Crunches by touching each foot alternating (how do I even translate this) - 12 reps
    • Crunches, bent legs - 6 reps (can only finish in 1st series)
  • lunges with weights - 3 sets, 12 reps, 8kg(17lbs) each hand
  • Machine leg extension - 3 sets, 12 reps, 20kg(44lbs)
  • Machine leg flexing - 3 sets, 12 reps, 20kg(44lbs)
  • Machine leg press - 3 sets12 reps, 25kg(55lbs)
  • Machine leg abduction press - 3 sets, 12 reps, 32kg(70lbs)
    -Machine leg adduction press - 3 sets, 12 reps, 32kg(70lbs)

Back and triceps

• Stretching
  • Treadmill. Aiming to do a mile (1.6Km) or 10min (still haven’t reached it under 10).
  • Pulley machine pulldown to chest, wide grip, 3 sets, 12 reps, 25kg(55lbs)
  • Pulley machine triceps press (standing), 3 sets, 8reps, 14kg(9lbs) (barely can do it)
  • Machine shoulder press (seated), 3 sets, 12 reps, 14kg(9lbs)
  • Leverage machine row (seated), 3 sets, 12 reps, 23kg(50lbs)
  • Barbell Bench press, close grip (decline), 3 sets, 12 reps, 10kg(22lbs)
    -Dumbbell lateral raise(standing), 3 sets, 12 reps, 2.5kg(5.5lbs) in each hand
  • Dumbbell triceps tate press (lying), 3 sets, 12 reps, 4kg(9lbs) in each hand

Chest and biceps

• Stretching
  • Machine front press (seated), 3 sets, 12 reps, 18kg(40lbs)
    -Pulley machine pulldown to chest, underhand close grip, 3 sets, 12 reps, 25kg(55lbs)
  • Pulley machine biceps curl (standing), 3 sets, 12 reps, 12kg(26lbs)
  • Barlbell bench press (incline), 3 sets, 12 reps, 10kg(22lbs)
  • Barbell flat bench pullover, 3 sets, 12 reps, 10kg(22lbs)
  • Barbell flat bench press, 3 sets, 12 reps, 10kg(22lbs)
  • Dumbbell bench flys (decline), 3 sets, 12 reps, 4kg(9lbs) in each hand
  • Barbell biceps curl (standing), 3 sets, 12 reps, 10kg(22lbs)
  • Dumbbell alternating biceps curl (standing) 3 sets, 12 reps, 4kg(9lbs) in each hand
  • Dumbbell forearm wrist curl (seated), 3 sets, 12 reps, 4kg(9lbs)
  • Dumbbell forearm concentration curl, 3 sets, 12 reps, 4kg(9lbs)

I tried the Chest and biceps one today and my arms were pretty tired, could barely lift them to wash my hair, though I don’t think I risk any injury (my wrist was hurting during seated curls so I had to stop though). Right now I actually feel fine, still feel them a bit tired but fine. The leg workout makes my body hurt more in the following days, let’s see how I will feel tomorrow. Though I feel like this one was the hardest one to do, I could not finish some of the exercises.
Honestly I don’t know anything about workouts, the only thing I did before was biking (like in a real bike, not stationary). Probably most of you will say I am doing to many reps and not enough weight.

Just hoping someone can give me some advice here and there.
To sumarize, I want to be more healthy, have more strength (to be able to do and prevent injury from doing stuff like moving furniture, overall just not be so wimpy), and trying to improve my knee problem (been told it can be weak leg muscles not being able to hold it well in place so it grinds itself).

Thanks if you read and thanks in advance for any advice!

I’d simplify it and use more free weights.

Something like:

Legs

Squat (maybe a goblet squat if you’re not comfortable with the bar yet? Google them)
Lunges
Leg Press
Leg Curls

Back and biceps (I’m not a huge fan of training tri’s with back and bi’s with chest but you can if you want)

Pulldown
Dumbbell Row
Some kind of machine row
Rear Delt Flyes superset with Biceps Curls

Chest/Tris

Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Flyes
Lateral Raises superset with Triceps Pushdowns

And that’s it. You’ve a lot more volume and exercises there than you need. Condense the workouts down a bit and really give it all you can on the fewer exercises. It’ll work a lot better.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I agree with that statement 100%! OP Listen to this man.

1 Like

Thanks @Yogi1 and @isdatnutty . Yea I really was feeling like I was dragging out too long. I mostly did that because my gf is doing cardio for that long so I wouldn’t need to wait too long.

I have no issue of doing back+biceps and chest+triceps. Really don’t have a preference.
I might not do squats or even goblet squats for now due to my knees. But gonna try it out.
Using more free weights seems like a great idea since there are plenty compared to machines.

Thank you very much. Tomorrow gonna try out the legs and see if I can set a goal in sets, reps and weights. If anyone has advice on that it’s always welcomed.

I’ve got pretty jacked up knees myself but squats don’t seem to bother them too much, I wouldn’t rule them out right away.

I would still give the goblet squats a try. Keep them nice and light and do sets of 20 reps.

There’s a good chance it’ll actually improve how your knees feel.

1 Like

Hey guys. Ended up having to skip monday for legs because I was sick (noooo). Gonna have to try that next monday.

Tried @Yogi1 Back and biceps today. I think I might have done some wrong since I never done them before, but I will get there. In Rear Delt Flyes I actually just did flys lying down and it was actually really hard, couldn’t do much.
Though I did get my arms tired, I didn’t and am not sore at all even though today I tried to use weights a bit heavier than I tried last week (with other “program”)

WEight is secondary to everything else. Feel the movement. Squeeze at the end. Leave your ego behind.

I’ve seen a 250 lbs guy using 10 lbs dumbbells for rest flys.

Been trying this out and I liked it. So pretty good workout for beginners from what I’ve experienced.

The only problem I encountered is related to my knees (probably felt more hurting because some days I didn’t sleep much due to finals). My knee hurt and my outer tight too.

It seems my outer tight muscle is part of the problem. It’s too weak compared to the rest of my leg. My knee just pops and slides wrong because of that. Been searching and might be specifically the “vastus lateralis”. Given that this isn’t my area this is just guess. I’m gonna try to get an appointment or something. Until then, gonna have to go easier in my legs.

So is the goal to be less of a stick man?

The first step seems to be covered, you was wasting a hell of a lot of energy before and if you have switched to what @Yogi1 wrote then it’s much improved. Skinny guys need to drop all unnecessary energy usage!

The biggest issue facing us with stick man genetics is food intake, if you are and always have been skinny then you are not eating anywhere near enough, even if you believe you eat lots, you don’t! Eat eat eat, count cals honestly every now and again, and I mean honestly or else there is no point.

I think you ment IT band.