Advice Please for Biceps

Hey guys, just thought i would ask here because maybe you guys would know… are there any particular bicep exercises that dont involve the forearms heavily because i have bad forearms and doing curls is too painful (p.s. i am seeing someone about this soon) the only reason i ask is because my triceps are seeing good growth and my biceps are starting to become tiny in comparison as the majority of the exercises specificly for biceps are too painful.
Thanks guys
Titch

I would imagine that drag curls would lessen the stress on your forearms a ton. Give them a shot

Your forearms are actually WRIST extensor/flexor muscles. To remove them from the curl equation, pick biceps exercises that minimize the need to grip. Try using wrist straps on the bar to curl or find a biceps machine that allows you to move the bar without actually needing to hold on to it.

Get your forearms checked out by an MD or PT ASAP. Most upper body exercises utilize them to some extent. Plus, you get to show off those muscles even while wearing a shirt!

I also get sharp pains in my left wrist when I do underhand curls. I don’t know why it is, because my right one has been broken before but the left has always been fine.

I figure I just need to strengthen up the joint by focus on form doing lower weights, which I would also suggest for you. A good workout that uses low weight and still blasts your biceps are incline curls.

To do incline curls, grab an incline bench and lean it out to ~30deg. Lay down on it just like you would press but then hold out your arms and start curling the weights inward toward you.

Another exercise that doesn’t hurt me is overhand EZ Bar curls, but it might be a little forearm extensive for you. Give them a shot, but remember to be careful because it’s not worth it to get injured.

It is going to be very hard to find bicep exercises that do not also use the forearm. Different grips may be comfortable. A lot of the common back exercises also hit the biceps pretty heavy. Rows, Chinups, and Pullups are great back AND bicep exercises. You may want to do a little trial and error and see what works.

Some people use ankle straps with a cable pulley system for lower body exercises. If you could find something similar only smaller you could use that around your wrist and do curls using a cable pulley system. You could try a pair of handcuffs, if you can find a pair. Use some padding and put them around your wrist.

Connect the link in the middle to a cable pulley system and do some curls. Of course, you will probably get some strange looks, but it may work. You may be able to rig up something similar with parts you could find at a hardware store.

Thanks guys, will give it a go… i only asked out of desperation as biceps are lagging and no one likes tiny biceps.

[quote]Titch wrote:
Hey guys, just thought i would ask here because maybe you guys would know… are there any particular bicep exercises that dont involve the forearms heavily because i have bad forearms and doing curls is too painful (p.s. i am seeing someone about this soon) the only reason i ask is because my triceps are seeing good growth and my biceps are starting to become tiny in comparison as the majority of the exercises specificly for biceps are too painful.
Thanks guys
Titch[/quote]

Titch,

Do you actually have some medical condition in your forearms that is causing this pain? Or, are they just weak and give out? If it’s the former then definetely go see a PT and see if they can give you some exercises to alleviate the problem.

If it’s the latter, then you just need to do more forearm focused work. They may be hurting because they lack the required strength to support your wrists during the movement.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy