Advice Please for 5-3-1 Training

Good afternoon folks.

I’ve been reading about the 5-3-1 training and would like something clarified please.

Week 1 describes training at 65,75&85% for 3x5 reps, three days per week.So does this mean that if I train the on the 3 recommended days per week,that I would do the 65% on Monday,75% on Wednesday and 85% on the Friday?

Or does it mean that I train all three percentage weights on 1 day,3 days per week?

Thank for your time,Shady.

The e-book is $20 U.S. (what’s that, like 2 pounds now?) and well worth it, it explains everything.

http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=370&m=PD&pid=2976

The short answer is that on the first week you train each main lift on a different day, and do 65, 75, 85% on each day, but those percentages are based on a “training max” which is 90% of your true max. Also, the last set is “at least” 5, but as many reps as you can get without failing. Finally, the 5-3-1 rep scheme is only part of the program, as assistance exercises play a significant role. Again, the e-book is a must, in my opinion, as all of this is explained.

There is also a thread devoted to 5-3-1 in the powerlifing section that you can check out if you want.

Welcome to the old guys thread,

Jack

Before the flaming begins, I’ll help you out here with a free-bee. You train all three percentages each day, with the last set (85%) being an all out rep test, i.e. you should be going “all out” on that set, but not necessarily to failure. But there is way more to the program than that.

You are aware that you should be doing a different main lift each day, right? You can also train 4 times per week, so that each cycle only takes a month.

Ok, now for a little bit of flaming:

Buy the e-book. Seriously, Jim Wendler has come up with a fantastic routine, complete for a lifetime of strength gains. The least you can do is spot him $20 USD. And if you already have it, did you read the whole thing, because it specifically has worksheets that you can print and use each week.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

Go get strong.

Sorry if it came of a bit prick-ish; it’s hard to denote tone on these things.

damn, beat me to it jack…sound advice

[quote]Tartaruga109 wrote:
damn, beat me to it jack…sound advice[/quote]

:slight_smile:

Good evening Jackkrash & Tartaruga.

Thank you both very much for the replies,which have clarified & answered my question.My question was prompted by the 5-3-1 'How to build pure strength’article by Bryan Krahn.Which is on this site.

I was particularly interested in the 'gradual’progression of the routine as at present I am part way through a 9 week,3 lift Russian peaking cycle by Gavrilo Gavrilov.Or I should say that I’ve had to stop on completion of week 6 because my left shoulder & triceps are in quite a bit of pain.So I’m being particularly cautious because this time last year,I was going through the most beautiful pain caused by ‘frozen shoulder’.That was in the right shoulder & I don’t want to go through that again.

Consequently,I intend to allow the shoulder & triceps to repair & then I’ll try the 5-3-1 routine.

I’m 51 years of age & have only been doing power lifting for 2 years & I have no intention of competing.I’m simply doing power lifting because it’s simple,sweet & brutal…and I enjoy it.

Regarding the aforementioned Russian peaking cycle,I was working towards 1 Rep Max’s of 240lbs Bench,280lbs Squat & 330lbs Deadlift.Small fry weights I hear you say but I’ve made good progress since starting 2 years ago.But I think that the weight increases were too high & too much for me.What do you folks think about the weight increases? I picked up the routine on the Power lifting HeadsUp website.Do you think the weight increases are too steep?

Additionally,I’m going to start a 12 week Tabata fat loss routine this week which will take me up to our 1 week holiday abroard.Then I intend to start the 5-3-1…if my shoulder is fixed.

Do you folks have any experience of Tabata training?

Regards,Shady.

www.joeskopec.com

PS Tartaruga,in no way did your message come over as prick ish.

What I like about Jim Wendler, besides the 5/3/1 ebook, and Dave Tate is they strongly urge people to set goals and develop programs that are gradually progressive, 6 months, 12 months, 24 months. It is more realistic, especially for us older folks. How many people became strong or fit or whatever on 30 or 90 day programs. And stayed that way? Most people program hop and never make any progress.

Cough

Cough

Like my wife.

Cough

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
What I like about Jim Wendler, besides the 5/3/1 ebook, and Dave Tate is they strongly urge people to set goals and develop programs that are gradually progressive, 6 months, 12 months, 24 months. It is more realistic, especially for us older folks. How many people became strong or fit or whatever on 30 or 90 day programs. And stayed that way? Most people program hop and never make any progress.

Cough

Cough

Like my wife.

Cough

[/quote]

Hey, maybe she just hasn’t found a program she likes yet.

And 5/3/1 can be a math challenge.