Advice: Pic

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/0/702333.1122417376721.Picture_0161.bmp

Hi guys, just got out of a 2 1/2 year relationship where I wasnt very active/didnt lift at all (lifted alot before it). Currently for the last month I’ve been doing 4-5 days a week cardio for 3-5 miles and lifting full body 1 day 2 days rest (read from “mens health hard body plan” book). I pretty much know nothing but the basics, any advice/constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Read the beginners thread, some links on there will hook you up. Worship John Berardi and look for a good 4 day training program. You will hear this alot here on T-Nation, but you need to EAT EAT EAT EAT. You’ll see… Just stick with it.

-M

Hi mate

I’m pretty new here and will be starting a program by Chad Waterbury, have a look:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341&pageNo=0

there’s more programs to do when you have finished (by chad)

there is also a thread on here where one of the other members will send you some training session log sheets/speadsheets.

there’s tons of info on here, just get reading!

You have a good structure to start with. Focus mostly on anaerobic (high intensity short burst) type activities such as lifting, sprinting, strongman events, etc. Go easy on steady-state aerobics because it tends to limit muscular growth potentials if you overdo it…

[quote]Jross98 wrote:
Hi guys, just got out of a 2 1/2 year relationship where I wasnt very active/didnt lift at all (lifted alot before it). Currently for the last month I’ve been doing 4-5 days a week cardio for 3-5 miles and lifting full body 1 day 2 days rest (read from “mens health hard body plan” book). I pretty much know nothing but the basics, any advice/constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. thanks.[/quote]

thanks for the replies guys, sorry this is probablly a dumb question- but is there anyway to gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass? Or any supplements to help in the effort?

It’s possible, but only just. If I were you, I’d bite the bullet and accept that I needed to gain a bit of fat to pack on the muscle. Most people on this site will recommend bulking followed by cutting… really it’s what makes sense.

[quote]Jross98 wrote:
thanks for the replies guys, sorry this is probablly a dumb question- but is there anyway to gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass? Or any supplements to help in the effort?[/quote]

Yes. But it’s most applicable to chubby, untrained individuals. They should eat around maintenance, all clean calories, and lift hard. This allows them to gain muscle and drop some of their excess flab. You, on the other hand, are pretty lean. Your best bet is probably to do a real bulk. Add calories slowly. Enjoy the great muscle growth and accept some modest fat gains!

If you are trained, the best you can hope for is stable bf%. If you consider that your total mass is increasing, and your bf is constant, you’ll see you are also adding fat mass. Don’t be afraid of it, the more lean mass you add, the easier it’ll be to drop the fat later.

I just wanted to say that the last few posts are right on and you can never go wrong following Charles Staley’s advice.

Here’s that great begginer’s thread that was talked about earlier:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

It’s a great guide line to go by for anyone new to this site. There’s tons of great info there for a person of any level.