Advice on Training Routine

Hey, iv been lurking around and finally got a profile
umm iv been training for 1 and a bit an currently training to gain weight, iv put on 41.6lbs since start of year and recently checked my body fat at 16%. i would like to gain some more size particularly in my arms and shoulders, though i guess who doesn’t…
i know eating a lot is the main contributor to size, but anywyas here is my routine iv just come up with, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
I havnt got a whole heap of chest and back work, because i would like to prioritise my shoulders/arms and my chest and back are my stronger areas.

Monday: Shoulders/Traps
Hang clean/push press 5x4-6
One arm db press 4x8-10
bent over rear delt fly 3x10
barbell shrugs 3x10

Tuesday: Legs
Squat 5x6-8
BB lunge 4x8-10
db split squat 3x10
leg curl 3x10
ab work

Wensday: Chest/Back
Deadlift 5x6-8
BB Bench Press 5x6-8
Pull ups 5x10
Incline DB press 5x10

Friday: Arms
BB curl 3x4-6
Incline DB curl 3x10
Concentration curl 3x10
Weighted Dips 3x4-6
Decline BB Tricep extension 3x10
Tricep kickback 3x10
Ab Work

Not a whole lot of hammy work there :slight_smile:

yea i was thinking bout changing split squats to stiff legged deads, but im already deadlifting the next day so kind of gave that a miss

You do leg curls and squats the day before you dead? Wow that must be tough.

I would of thought that the abdominal work would also fatigue the abs on the day before deadlifts aswel…i’m certain someone will correct me if i’m wrong :slight_smile:

yea i havnt tried this routine just yet, and yea i was a little unsure about the deadlifting after legs day…
maybe what i could do is put the deadlift on the legs day so it looks something like this:
Squat: 5x6-8
Deadlift 5x6-8
BB lunge 3x10
leg curl 3x10
ab work

an then simply swap the deadlift on back day to bb row or db row. i usually would emphasis the big movements like squat and deadlift and work them on seperate days, however im trying to do some more direct shoulder an arm work because iv tended to neglect that (a bit different to most people)…

any tips would be good though

Personally i would hate to think of training my back the day after deads- the deadlift works hamstrings, glutes, lower back, the entire upper back and biceps and traps.

new plan; il keep the deadlift on the back day but swap arms an put that on Wednesday so it looks like this
mon-shoulders
tues-Legs
wen-Arms
friday-Back/chest

keeping the same exercise selection as on the original post

if your upper body is ure strong point why not schedule legs first then?

using the logic that putting ure weakest point forward in the week for maximum intensity…

If you’re just starting out, you’re very likely not advanced enough to warrant a pseudo body-part split like you’ve got set up here. I’d stick with 3x/wk total body. Rock that for a few months, then make some minor tweaks.

Wendler 5/3/1. 'Nough said.

[quote]captain slow wrote:
Personally i would hate to think of training my back the day after deads- the deadlift works hamstrings, glutes, lower back, the entire upper back and biceps and traps. [/quote]

Do you curl the weight at the top of your deadlift? How does that movement work your biceps?

Sorry meant forearms, although you do hear of some people tearing biceps doing so they must be involved in a small way atleast? :slight_smile:

Sorry meant forearms, although you do hear of some people tearing biceps doing so they must be involved in a small way atleast? :)[/quote]
This is due to incorrect form - arms must be kept straight.

[quote]pcdude wrote:

Sorry meant forearms, although you do hear of some people tearing biceps doing so they must be involved in a small way atleast? :)[/quote]
This is due to incorrect form - arms must be kept straight.[/quote]

Truth.

It’s an isometric hold. Even a slight bend is idiotic. Tearing biceps = bad news.

[quote]NCHH wrote:
umm iv been training for 1 and a bit an currently training to gain weight, iv put on 41.6lbs since start of year and recently checked my body fat at 16%. i would like to gain some more size particularly in my arms and shoulders, though i guess who doesn’t…
i know eating a lot is the main contributor to size, but anywyas here is my routine iv just come up with, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
I havnt got a whole heap of chest and back work, because i would like to prioritise my shoulders/arms and my chest and back are my stronger areas.

One arm db press 4x8-10
barbell shrugs 3x10

Squat 5x6-8
BB lunge 4x8-10
db split squat 3x10
leg curl 3x10
ab work

Deadlift 5x6-8
BB Bench Press 5x6-8
Pull ups 5x10
Incline DB press 5x10

BB curl 3x4-6
Incline DB curl 3x10
Concentration curl 3x10
Weighted Dips 3x4-6
Tricep kickback 3x10
Ab Work [/quote]

day 1: chest and arms
day 2: legs
day 3: off
day 4: shoulders and back (in that order)
day 5: off
day 6: Repeat

because you will be hitting everything twice every 5 days take all those exercises and split them into 2 separate workouts with 2 exercises/body part.

for instance take your shoulder day in split it up into shoulder day 1 and shoulder day 2

shoulder day 1 do: clean and press and lateral raises
shoulder day 2 do: high incline presses and face pulls or rear delt machine or whatever.

depending on what your shoulders currently look like, you might want to add lateral raises to both days and just do different rep ranges. ie: 6-8 (or 4-6 or whatever) on day 1 and 12-15 (8-10?) on day 2.

I was just giving an example mate don’t bite my head off :wink:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]NCHH wrote:

One arm db press 4x8-10
barbell shrugs 3x10

Squat 5x6-8
BB lunge 4x8-10
db split squat 3x10
leg curl 3x10
ab work

Deadlift 5x6-8
BB Bench Press 5x6-8
Pull ups 5x10
Incline DB press 5x10

BB curl 3x4-6
Incline DB curl 3x10
Concentration curl 3x10
Weighted Dips 3x4-6
Tricep kickback 3x10
Ab Work [/quote]

day 1: chest and arms
day 2: legs
day 3: off
day 4: shoulders and back (in that order)
day 5: off
day 6: Repeat

because you will be hitting everything twice every 5 days take all those exercises and split them into 2 separate workouts with 2 exercises/body part.

for instance take your shoulder day in split it up into shoulder day 1 and shoulder day 2

shoulder day 1 do: clean and press and lateral raises
shoulder day 2 do: high incline presses and face pulls or rear delt machine or whatever.

depending on what your shoulders currently look like, you might want to add lateral raises to both days and just do different rep ranges. ie: 6-8 (or 4-6 or whatever) on day 1 and 12-15 (8-10?) on day 2.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice mate, it looks like a really solid plan…problem is gym is closed on the weekend :frowning:
so iv only got monday-friday to work with…

well thats just shitty. try an upper lower split maybe.

monday-heavy upper
tuesday heavy lower
wednesday off
thursday light upper
friday light lower

something like that? still hits everything twice a week. umm check out modoks thread in tcell on frequency. might give you some ideas of what others have done and had success with. to be frank, your routine just looks thrown together without much thought. you shoulder day doesnt even have medial delt work. big mistake.