Advice on This Template?

Hi all,

Can you give me your opinion on this modification of 5/3/1 please? Is there any benefit in it? Thinking of trying it for a couple of cycles before going back to BBB or FSL.

65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x multiple sets of 5 until fatigue
70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x multiple sets of 3 until fatigue
75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x multiple sets of 1 until fatigue

My form sometimes breaks down a little in higher rep sets so I thought this might help whilst still getting volume in.

Thanks in advance

Wouldn’t it be better if you pushed your plus set till failure or your form starts breaking down and then some volume work,either by using bbb or first set last?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, but i also thought this might give me more exposure to volume in the higher percentages. Eg rather than one set of 6 on 95%, I could do 8 or 9 individual reps.

I don’t know which is better to be honest, hence why I posted.

Get the Beyond 5/3/1 Book and look up the Advanced 5/3/1 Template and that’s pretty much what you are looking for. Otherwise look at the many programs Jim has posted on these forums and give them a whirl. Way too many 5/3/1 Programs and Templates to choose from that there is no need to try and make up your own.

4 Likes

There are a couple of official templates that resemble something like this. Also this is pretty much what the RTS training system is. Only difference is that rather than using percentages, it uses RPE values.