Advice on This New Split?

Hmmm, pm and ask bugeishaAD or josh86… I think those two have it… Maybe H4M, but I don’t remember for sure.

Got it.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
All very helpful Andy.

Only question for you is, what would you prefer over this split, 3-day split? Or would it really make a difference.

Also, all you suggest for shoulders is High Incline Press (from eye level, or full range of motion?)[/quote]
A 3-way or 4-way split won’t make TOO much of a difference, but since you are 5’10" at 205, I would say that you still have some room for growth with the 3-way split before you need to move on with the 4-way split. Essentially, a 3-way split compared to the 4-way split, is slightly more frequency and slightly less volume, which someone who still has room to grow can be very effective.

In a 3-way my favorite probably is:

1. Chest/Bis/Tris
  2. Legs, calves, abs if you want
  3. Off
  4. Shoulders/Back
  5. Off
    Repeat

Or,

1. Chest/Bis
  3. Off
  4. Back/Shoulders/Tris
  5. Off
    Repeat

Or,

1. Chest/Back
  3. Off
  4. Shoulders/Bis/Tris
  5. Off
    Repeat

Basically you pick 2 or so main movements that you can grow on for each body part, so each workout has anywhere from 4-6 lifts. On leg day, I am of the group that thinks less is more… for example, I think going hard on Front Squats is all you need for big quads (for now at your stage). So it could look like:

A. Front Squats (heavy)/Olympic Squat
B. Good Mornings/RDL/SLDL/etc (think hip extension)
C. GHR/Leg Curls/whatever (think knee flexion)
D. Throw in some higher-rep leg press/hack squat machine/leg extensions if you want… not really necessary IMO.
E1. Standing calves
E2. Abs

Going to eye-level on SHIPs is fine, it’s really up to you and how comfortable you are going down really low. For your shoulders question, a good shoulder session to me is some sort of heavy press (i.e. Seated Behind-the-Neck Press, Push Press, Military Press, SHIPs), followed by a superset of L-Lateral Raises (or other lateral movement), and either a rear-delt movement if you need it, or something like the Muscle Snatch to fatigue the shoulders.[/quote]

I am familiar with the chest/arms, legs/abs, shoulders/back split. Like I said, I tend to get a bit worked up about what I’m suppose to do for feeler sets/warm up sets/work sets/reps.

That leg day looks similar to what I had planned on doing. I agree with you on that for sure. I’ve also got bad knews, and a leg day like that tends to spare my knees.

I have done full range SHIPs a lot before, but sometimes had a lot of trouble progressing with them, getting stuck in the bottom position. I like doing them from eye level because I feel like I can do more weight and do better reps.

By the way CC, I sent you an email.