Advice on Teen Son

[quote]PeteS wrote:

One of my degrees is in lit, I have published some stuff myself,[/quote]

Wait! You can READ AND WRITE?!!?!!

Damn, gorillaman, new respect. New respect. :wink:

Hey Steely…make 16 more posts then we’ll have the same exact number of posts!

[quote]sen say wrote:
tomorrow or Thursday I’ll get him out to the garage and talk to him.[/quote]

Remember to use a sock, that way it keeps the bruising to a min… oh, wait, uh, you meant actually ‘talking to him’ not “talk” to him… uhh, nevermind.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I might have guessed James Ellroy (LA Confidential, Black Dahlia, etc) or some similar modern noir author like Jason Starr (Twisted City, Tough Luck, …).

[/quote]

Are Ellroy and Starr appropriate for him to be reading? I put Black Dahlia on reserve at the library just now…I know as a responsible parent I should read them myself, but if they’re ‘definitely not’ in your opinion than I won’t take the time to review them.

Thanks.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I might have guessed James Ellroy (LA Confidential, Black Dahlia, etc) or some similar modern noir author like Jason Starr (Twisted City, Tough Luck, …).

[/quote]

Are Ellroy and Starr appropriate for him to be reading? I put Black Dahlia on reserve at the library just now…I know as a responsible parent I should read them myself, but if they’re ‘definitely not’ in your opinion than I won’t take the time to review them.

Thanks.[/quote]

I can’t answer that question for you. It’s a dark book based on a real murder investigation. It’s Ellroy-- raw, graphic (murder and sex). I like this genre and sci-fi, the darker the better (and I listen to heroine era jazz and Heavy Metal… lol), but only you can decide to introduce him to it.

Honestly, I’ve read horror books that create more disturbing imagery and have creeped me out and left impressions in my brain much more than Ellroy’s stuff. Horror vs. Human Condition. Books are always more detailed than movies (Black Dahlia is a movie, too, but I haven’t seen it). I’m getting off track here, sorry.

Read it first. Hell, my neighbor gave my 8 year old daughter a Perry Mason book. I read it in an hour and half (The Case of the Cold Hands) on an airplane. Great book! COMPLETELY inappropriate for an 8 year old girl (she didn’t get to read it). Maybe when she’s 15. :slight_smile:

I’m reading “The Hobbit” to her and my other daughter.

Excerpt (this doesn’t really do it justice):
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474976791186

More:

http://bestsellers.about.com/od/fictionreviews/gr/black_dahlia.htm

please dont talk about this trapped at the kitchen table. Play catch. Shoot hoops. Much easier to talk about that sort of thing when you dont have to look your dad in the eye.

I know a lot of stuff gets hashed out on the playing field between me and my friends.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
please dont talk about this trapped at the kitchen table. Play catch. Shoot hoops. Much easier to talk about that sort of thing when you dont have to look your dad in the eye.

I know a lot of stuff gets hashed out on the playing field between me and my friends.[/quote]

Good advice…I usually bring it up while he’s lifting and I’m spotting him or watching his form…or sometimes when we’re on a short car ride coming home from somewhere…read this in a book somewhere…works pretty well…

I’ve just been monitoring his email since I posted this thread…don’t think he knows I do this even though I’ve told him…maybe he does…I don’t know…anyway…I don’t mind him writing the stories, or even submitting them…just don’t like him interacting with his ‘fan base’ or becoming part of someone else’s fan base…