T Nation

Advice on Squats

So I’m pretty new to weight lifting, but have started using Rippetoe.

Deadlift: 55kgs
Shoulder press: 35kgs
Bench press: 25kgs (plus bar which is about 15)
Squat: 30kgs (plus bar, again around 15)

A friend highlighted a problem: My Squat should be way higher than my other lifts, otherwise something is way out of balance. My squat isn’t more more than my shoulder press (with the bar included).

My form on my squats is good, though I do have to push my knees out as I press up as they have a tendency to want to turn inward.

I know most of these weights are probably nothing to most of you, but I’d really like some advice.

Thanks,
Sam

1. Squat more.
  2. Imagine “spreading the ground” with your feet.
  3. Keep squatting.

Some Good Mornings will also help your squat too, but really…you need to keep squatting.

I would advice you to squat and squat, because 30kg is not that much, the biggest thing that will bring up your squat at this point is more squatting. Good mornings and stuff like that wont help if you cant squat more then 100kg to begin with anyways. Hit the squats, and don’t neglect the glutes and hamstrings, and you should see that weight go up every week. Also taping yourself may show some obvious form problems that we cant see trough descriptions.

It should be - but you just started. You’re working on it. No big deal.

Cool. Maybe that’s all I needed to hear, just keep at it. Thanks guys.

Check the beginner forum. It will help you.

I’ve been doing Rippetoe for about 10 weeks now… Amazing program! Simple, and gets right to the guts of what us “newbies” should be doing in the gym…

Really glad I ran across your thread. Thanks for posting this question! Just today I posted my progress from last week on my own thread (“Big Challenge”), with some of my “theories” about why I seem to be stalling a little with some of the exercises, but making progress with squats most of all. Then during today’s workout it occurred to me that when I started Rippetoe’s my squat weight was way lower than my bench press or military press. Just two weeks ago my squat weight surpassed my military press, and I expect it to sneak past my bench press soon.

Isn’t this the way it should be? I think we are supposed to be squatting way more weight than we’re doing on the upper body stuff. Seems to make sense. And if this is the case, then maybe one of the many benefits of Rippetoe’s program is to help us achieve a good overall strength balance…

Are you squatting for leg development of for power?

I just put more weight on and go for it. Other than that there’s no way to see the problem unless you post your full routine.

Also are you eating enough protein fat carbs? You should be eating every 2 or 3 hours.

[quote]speakman wrote:
I’ve been doing Rippetoe for about 10 weeks now… Amazing program! Simple, and gets right to the guts of what us “newbies” should be doing in the gym…

Really glad I ran across your thread. Thanks for posting this question! Just today I posted my progress from last week on my own thread (“Big Challenge”), with some of my “theories” about why I seem to be stalling a little with some of the exercises, but making progress with squats most of all. Then during today’s workout it occurred to me that when I started Rippetoe’s my squat weight was way lower than my bench press or military press. Just two weeks ago my squat weight surpassed my military press, and I expect it to sneak past my bench press soon.

Isn’t this the way it should be? I think we are supposed to be squatting way more weight than we’re doing on the upper body stuff. Seems to make sense. And if this is the case, then maybe one of the many benefits of Rippetoe’s program is to help us achieve a good overall strength balance…[/quote]

Everyon’s different: when I first started training my lower body was much stronger than my upper body. After training for a couple of months things pretty much balanced out.

Hagar: I’ve split my meals up and I’m eating four times a day. Good balanced diet with an increase particularly in protein (lots of chicken). I know this isn’t a perfect way to be eating, but I’m restricted by money at the moment, so I’m just making improvements to my diet as I go.

I’m training to increase my functional strength. I’m going on a working part to a project out in Albania in the Autumn and I’m using that as a bit of a goal, just something to aim at. The work is going to be manual labour mostly, so I figure it makes sense to improve my functional strength.

Speakman: That’s really encouraging. I guess I was just a bit worried that I was doing something wrong, but if other people have experienced it and just pushed through, then that’s cool.

Every time I work out I tend to improve on two lifts, whilst one stays the same, which is kind of frustrating, but I’m alot happier knowing it’s just something I have to work through as opposed to some freakish imbalance in my body.

Thanks for all the advice. (If people have more, please, keep it coming)