T Nation

Advice on School

I am 22, live home still, have 60 college credits from community college, and been kind of undecided on my major. I’ve been thinking of moving south because I don’t care for the winters here. I know I could continue school anywhere I go, but I’m not sure what I should do.

Right now, I’m one step away from enrolling at the state university here. (I’m already accepted). I also have a decent paying job right now too. (A JOB, it’s in a warehouse). I kind of messed up with my classes the past year, because I had the oppurtunity to work a lot and make a lot of money. I’m now at the point where really feel I should get serious about school.

I think I already know the answer. Finish school here, right? I feel like I have this open door in front of me, and if I don’t take it now, it’s going to get harder and harder each year. I also feel like I won’t really be happy with myself until I get a bachelors degree, and possibly live a little bit of a college life for once.

As for majors, I’ve went from mech eng to finance, to now I’m thinking of exercise science. I’m just a bit unsure of the employment oppurtunities in the latter, because I don’t think I want to be ‘handling’ people, although I am quite interested in the physiology aspect.

My problem the past 8 years has been my habit of changing my mind. I have a hard time making decisions and sticking to them.

If anybody has any advice or suggestions, it’d be appreciated, thanks.

I think only you knows the answer. At 22 your opportunities are virtually unlimited.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either a business or engineering major. My 2 cents. If you think you can an obtain an engineering degree…go for it. Then get you Masters in a business related field such as finance, accounting, hr, or a MBA with one of these specialties.

Forget all the reasons why completing your degree is a smart move and just remember that there are way more available females at school than at your job.

My situation is similar to yours. I’m 22 and starting my fifth year of university next fall and am planning on graduating in the Spring.

Although I don’t know you in the least, I would say that you’re probably the only person that’s going to be able to make the right decision, and if you’re indecisive like you say, this might be a good opportunity to bite the bullet and just make a choice and go for it.

Your options for studies and carreers sound viable and productive, just commit and be passionate about what you’re doing.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Forget all the reasons why completing your degree is a smart move and just remember that there are way more available females at school than at your job.
[/quote]

Because you should always base your major life decesions on availability of tail, right?

PROBABLY, you need to sort out the conflicting voices in your head. No, I am not accusing you of being schizophrenic. However, you have a lot of possibilities vying for your attention and execution. First of all, what do YOU want to do? Get rid of what Mom wants, Dad wants, what women want ( I mention this latter because I think a lot of men get thrown off course by the thinking that they want to just make lots of money because it will give them access to lots of women.

It will, but more than likely that will have an unhappy result). What makes you happy? Quiet your mind and ask. There may still be several things that come to mind. Choose one of those and just go with it…but decide that you will stick with it. There is a time to abandon course, but I think that what happens many times is we start thinking about the road not taken and get frozen.

One problem at 22 (or 42) is to think you can always figure it all out in your head. You can figure some things out but, at a certain point, you have to make the leap.

Good luck, man. We all have been there and it ain’t easy.

too much dialogue in your head bro holding you back. just do it.

f

Engineering school would be a good choice if you are good at mathematics, science, etc.
I saw an article the other day about the top 25 salary jobs. They were mostly medical related. If you want the money, go for a medical or dental degree.

By the way, I know a guy who always said he was going to go to engineering school and he always made a big deal of how he was going to be “somebody”. He got bogged down with a local job making OK money. He decided to wait for a while, got married, then divorced, took another odd job or 2…

Anyway, he is 30+ now and doesn’t have a single degree or a lasting job. - Moral of the story, don’t take too long. Bust ass, get a degree in something that has value to our society (not just to you), then find your suited career. Good Luck.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
chillain wrote:
Forget all the reasons why completing your degree is a smart move and just remember that there are way more available females at school than at your job.

Because you should always base your major life decesions on availability of tail, right?[/quote]

At 22 years of age, without a doubt.

Ask yourself what you want to do…

When you get your first gut reaction answer, without thinking, do that. That’s most likely what you want to do.

If you go into major or a career thinking about only money, chances are you’ll be one unhappy SOB.

Sometimes we over-analyze things. Deep down your gut is probably telling you what you really want to do, but your head is getting in the way. Often what a person needs to do is use their gut to point them towards the right goal and their head to figure out how to get there. Get your degree now before you have too many things in your life getting in the way. Good luck.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
chillain wrote:
Forget all the reasons why completing your degree is a smart move and just remember that there are way more available females at school than at your job.

Because you should always base your major life decesions on availability of tail, right?

At 22 years of age, without a doubt.

[/quote]

Worst advice…EVER…even as a joke. All of the guys I knew who were that age and majored in “Ass” either dropped out of college or are barely paying bills now. While 22 may still be “young”, some of you need to realize that many of those who will be making money above 100k a year probably already have a degree by that age or are at least close to it with plans to get a higher degree past that.

Most people don’t have an exact image of what they want to be. I kept it general. I knew I wanted a health career, but there were many times in school where I was asking myself if this was the right choice. To be completely honest, I didn’t know I would like what I do…until I was actually doing it after school. In fact, I probably would have changed my goals as far as career if I hadn’t already had tons of money invested in school at the time.

There comes a point where you simply need to make a choice and go with it. Some believe in making choices based on what life has led you to up to that point. One thing is for sure, you don’t get TIME back. The next 10 years of your life will fly by until you are wondering if you used your time wisely.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

While 22 may still be “young”, some of you need to realize that many of those who will be making money above 100k a year probably already have a degree by that age or are at least close to it with plans to get a higher degree past that.

There comes a point where you simply need to make a choice and go with it.

The next 10 years of your life will fly by until you are wondering if you used your time wisely.[/quote]

+1 Good stuff

drop out of school, move to cincinnati, and bum for money. everytime you get five bucks, get a 40 and a pac of cigs. If you manage to get 15 bucks, get a crack rock

[quote]Professor X wrote:
To be completely honest, I didn’t know I would like what I do…until I was actually doing it after school. In fact, I probably would have changed my goals as far as career if I hadn’t already had tons of money invested in school at the time.
[/quote]

I believe this is a big reason why a lot more schools need to offer a little more real world experience, if possible.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Worst advice…EVER…even as a joke. All of the guys I knew who were that age and majored in “Ass” either dropped out of college or are barely paying bills now. While 22 may still be “young”, some of you need to realize that many of those who will be making money above 100k a year probably already have a degree by that age or are at least close to it with plans to get a higher degree past that.

Most people don’t have an exact image of what they want to be. I kept it general. I knew I wanted a health career, but there were many times in school where I was asking myself if this was the right choice. To be completely honest, I didn’t know I would like what I do…until I was actually doing it after school. In fact, I probably would have changed my goals as far as career if I hadn’t already had tons of money invested in school at the time.

There comes a point where you simply need to make a choice and go with it. Some believe in making choices based on what life has led you to up to that point. One thing is for sure, you don’t get TIME back. The next 10 years of your life will fly by until you are wondering if you used your time wisely.[/quote]

A bump for the Prof’s post.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Worst advice…EVER…even as a joke. All of the guys I knew who were that age and majored in “Ass” either dropped out of college or are barely paying bills now. While 22 may still be “young”, some of you need to realize that many of those who will be making money above 100k a year probably already have a degree by that age or are at least close to it with plans to get a higher degree past that.

Most people don’t have an exact image of what they want to be. I kept it general. I knew I wanted a health career, but there were many times in school where I was asking myself if this was the right choice. To be completely honest, I didn’t know I would like what I do…until I was actually doing it after school. In fact, I probably would have changed my goals as far as career if I hadn’t already had tons of money invested in school at the time.

There comes a point where you simply need to make a choice and go with it. Some believe in making choices based on what life has led you to up to that point. One thing is for sure, you don’t get TIME back. The next 10 years of your life will fly by until you are wondering if you used your time wisely.

A bump for the Prof’s post.

[/quote]

nice work prof. wish i heard that when i was 22! to the puppy who started this thread. read prof’s words again and stfu and just do something. time is passing you by.

f

Start your own business. Being an employee sucks. Try to get out of the employee angle as soon as you can.

Schools teach you to be good employees, not good owners.

tweak

Have you ever taken a year off and just worked? If not I think a taste off the real world can add some motivation for school. Think some people go from kindergarten to graduate school with out ever working and paying their own bills. They could be 25 and still in school. Thats like 20 years in a class room. I don’t think thats healthy for someones character. Yes there’s a ton of people that did this and they’re doing great. Just my opinion.

Now to relate my own experience. Behold my infinite wisdom…(If you care because I don’t know if I do). I went to college right after high school and fucked around failed a bunch of classes and dropped out and worked construction for 7 years. After that I’m back in school to get my degree and I’m getting mostly A’s and a few B’s (I’m smart duh). Lucky for me I got an opportunity to do this. A taste of the the real world can help. Does anyone actually read this shit? I always skip the really long posts.