T Nation

Advice on Powerlifting Program

Current lifts

S: 140kg
B: 90kg
D: 160kg

Am I an early intermediate?

Texas 5x5? Should I create a hybrid program for each lift since my body responds differently?

Thanks!

How old are you?
height and weight?
Training experience?
what program have you previously ran?

There should be a sticky on what information to provide when asking for general advice. It would be nice if there were a sticky for common questions answered as well.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
There should be a sticky on what information to provide when asking for general advice. It would be nice if there were a sticky for common questions answered as well.[/quote]
I concur

You are a beginner, maybe a very early intermediate. You are probably light in bodyweight, so you can focus on gaining weight slowly over time and just run a simple, tried and true program.

I weigh 75kg and I understand my lifts are sub-par in standard.

I am 21 years old and have been been training for about 2 years and only started focusing on powerlifting for 6 months.

Go ahead and try the Texas 5x5. Don’t worry about labels of being beginner, intermediate or advanced. As you get stronger the main programming variables that really change are volume and frequency. Before upping the volume or frequency it is probably best to address any glaring weaknesses first to insure that training at submaximal loads provides better carryover to maximal attempts.

As you progress you’ll see that your overall weekly volume increases over time (months and years), regardless of program. It might be a small jump in volume, e.g., when you increase your training max from cycle to cycle, or a large one when you jump to a new program, e.g., moving from Starting Strength to 5x5. You really only need to make that large jump when what you’re currently doing stops working and you need to try something different (you could even add a moderate jump in volume to your current training if you know how to program). Different movements and increased frequency can jump start progress but once those variables are held constant, volume increases over time. The label doesn’t matter much - a person using a “beginner” program can be doing much more volume compared to a person using an “intermediate” program.

your numbers are fairly good for your experience level. what do you mean by your body responds differently? do you mean to each lift? and you are way to early in your training to start going off on your own program wise. i agree with lifter…trying to classify yourself as a beginner, intermediate, advanced, early beginner, late beginner, early intermediate and so on and on and on is really not helpful at all since everyone enters each ‘stage’ at different times.

Week 1 - sets of 5 reps starting at 50% of max. 5kg jumps between sets.
Week 2 - sets of 3 reps. 5 or 10kg jumps between sets. Stick w/ 5kg jumps if you start w/ 5kg. Stick w/ 10 if you start w/ 10.
Week 3 - sets of 2 reps. 10kg jumps between sets.

When you come to a weight that you know you won’t get for the required reps, stop there. Repeat this cycle over and over again.

Example: Squat 70x5 75x5 80x5 85x5 90x5 95x5 100x5 105x5 - 110x5 too heavy to get for 5 reps? Stop at 105x5. When you get to your 3 rep day, you’ll more than likely be able to handle 110x3 and probably more; so at least you’ll be handling more weight.

Very simple. Very effective. Easy to remember. Just go lift. Good luck.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
Week 1 - sets of 5 reps starting at 50% of max. 5kg jumps between sets.
Week 2 - sets of 3 reps. 5 or 10kg jumps between sets. Stick w/ 5kg jumps if you start w/ 5kg. Stick w/ 10 if you start w/ 10.
Week 3 - sets of 2 reps. 10kg jumps between sets.

When you come to a weight that you know you won’t get for the required reps, stop there. Repeat this cycle over and over again.

Example: Squat 70x5 75x5 80x5 85x5 90x5 95x5 100x5 105x5 - 110x5 too heavy to get for 5 reps? Stop at 105x5. When you get to your 3 rep day, you’ll more than likely be able to handle 110x3 and probably more; so at least you’ll be handling more weight.

Very simple. Very effective. Easy to remember. Just go lift. Good luck.

[/quote]

Your constant promotion of this method has gotten me interested, I think I’ll try it after my deload. Would you also reccommend doing 10 kg jumps for deadlifts? I’d have to go 120x5 130x5 140x5 150x5 160x5 170x5 180x5 190x5 200x5 210x5 220x5, it looks like too much with low weights. 15 or 20 kg jumps instead? Also where does this method come from?

With regards to week 1 doing sets of 5 reps, at what RPE do you think I should be reaching before unracking the weight?