T Nation

Advice on Off-Campus Living

I’m just looking for opinions on what’s the best situation to get into. I’m looking to find a rent (with roomates) near my school, it will be my first place away from home. I’m not a big partier (it really depends on who’s there, I do like some parties with good friends), I’m more mature than 95% of students, but I do want to live in a social atmosphere and have fun.

So I’ve been looking on craigslist for roomates wanted. I’ve seen a few places, nothing really clicked yet. Tell me this: living with girls - bad idea? There’s a couple decents places, but it’s with girls, I’m a guy. I don’t really know what to expect going into that.

Advice?
Thanks.

If the girls are hot you should bang em and move out

Serious answer - I’ve found it works pretty well. It’s pretty easy to avoid thinking about banging them all of the time - like any roommate you have to respect a lot of their differences, so they kind of become like a sister. They tend to clean the place more, and every once in a while might make a dinner or bake something. Most importantly, you can kiss sausage parties goodbye. Hot girls have hot friends.

In my experience, living with girls is awesome. I lived with a couple girls while in college and it was way better than guys. They’re less likely to argue about money/rent/bills/chores/etc. And they are cleaner than guys. As long as you keep your shit clean, there is never a mess.

Depends who you live with. I had a VERY negative experience living with girls last year. Know the people before you live with them and make sure you are on the same page with bills, rules, fridge space etc.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Most importantly, you can kiss sausage parties goodbye. Hot girls have hot friends.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

I soooooooooo need to get out of my mom’s house.

Get a place off campus but within walking distance if you can. Parking is a bitch at most universities. I’ve enjoyed a 20 minute walk to and from the last few years. Buy an umbrella too.

For parties, party at other peoples houses. Use yours for your home and not a party spot. Hosting parties sucks balls. You wind up with missing coozies, jewelry, broken dishes, messes, stains on the carpet, barf in and around the toilets, strangers with no respect for your stuff passed out everywhere, liability in the case of minors and other offenses etc. It’s much better to go to a party than host one.

I live in an apt so I don’t have to mow and because it has a pool and volleyball court that houses don’t.

If you get an apt. live in a complex with mostly college students. It’s as easy to meet people as the dorms and you won’t get noise complaints and the like from other college students.

Know your roommates and set rules and boundaries early so there is a defined set of expectations.

If you don’t own a car, you may want to consider living closer to the grocery store than to your school. Carrying food home stinks.

Also, take a look at your area’s transit system. It might help you decide how far away you are willing to be from campus.

texasguy2 pretty much said it. Find a place reasonably close to campus, head over to friends’ houses to party, and make sure you and your roommates are on the same page in terms of chores and obligations around the house. If you’re not on the meal plan, make sure you have some way of getting food to your apt. You’re pretty much set in terms of basic needs once you’ve got that in order.

I had an apartment last year that was crazy close to campus, I mean a 15 minute walk to some of the lecture halls, it was freakin’ sweet.

This year I have to drive to campus, I’m in a nicer place, but gas bills are sucking ass.

I’ve had 3 different roommates in the past 2 years (1 last year, 2 this year), most guys are pretty messy and lazy when it comes to house chores. Living with a woman might not be a bad idea.

I’m liking the hot chick, hot friends idea.

Boning your roommate would be a bad idea, but her friends are fair game.

I would say that knowing your roommates is important before you move in with them, but that’s useless. You don’t know someone til you live with them.

Food for thought.

"Carrying food home stinks. "

I carried all my shit, 24 pack of water, like 8 bags of shit, for about a mile. good GPP session, haha.

no, but seriously, it was hard. But I always say, if you can’t carry your shit to your car, than put it back. (doesn’t apply to costco)

I lived with a guy for a long time, just roommates, and it worked out great, of course he was gay…
The only potential problems I could see would be if there were to “gang up on you”, and not in that fun way most guys are hoping for, but them telling you all the things that they think you should be doing that you are not. That happened to a few guys I know who moved in with girls.
As long as you have your own bathroom and clean up after your self, and get your own food, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Make sure you ALL sign the lease and make it a short one incase it really doesn’t work out, you can always sign a longer one later.

Honestly, it sounds great to be living with a bunch of girls. But its not, theres alot more BS with girls. Find a bunch of buddies you know and find a place with them would be my suggestion.

[quote]texasguy2 wrote:
Get a place off campus but within walking distance if you can. Parking is a bitch at most universities. I’ve enjoyed a 20 minute walk to and from the last few years. Buy an umbrella too.
… [/quote]

Umbrellas are for women and Englishmen. Get an Urban Sombrero.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
texasguy2 wrote:

Umbrellas are for women and Englishmen. Get an Urban Sombrero.[/quote]

We call them cowboy hats here but I use an umbrella. I like the snickers I get from people with wet clothing sagging off of them.

[quote]texasguy2 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
texasguy2 wrote:

Umbrellas are for women and Englishmen. Get an Urban Sombrero.

We call them cowboy hats here but I use an umbrella. I like the snickers I get from people with wet clothing sagging off of them. [/quote]

Do you wear a top hat and use a cigarette holder?

[quote]KiloSprinter wrote:
I’m more mature than 95% of students
[/quote]

I thought only teenage girls used that line.

Living with girls will mean 4 things:

1. you apartment will be cleaner
  2. you will have to be cleaner
  3. you will have to wait for the bathroom
  4. you will hear about how much you eat at least 3 times a week.

I’ll try and give you a serious reply.

I live with 3 girls right now, all interior design majors. I personally love it. I constantly hear about people complaining about their roommates, and while I’ve had these complaints about other roommates, I couldn’t be happier now.

You will have to stay cleaner (as a general rule) and you have to be prepared to brush off little stupid things. Also, be prepared to deal with drama. I use the “I have to go to the library to study” line a lot.

Ok yes, girls bring drama, that’s for sure lol.

I just got back from a party at a friends, and his gf totally went nuts on me for something I didn’t even say.

One thing I’ve definitely learned over the years is that girls + alcohol = drama.

No one has ever gone off on me like she just did an hour ago, it’s really kind of scary. I sat up and said goodbye from that place pretty quick.