Advice on New Training Split.

, I’ve got quite a bit of time on my hands, and wanted to change things up a little to take advantage of that.

Right now i’ve been doing this split:
1Back/Biceps
2Squats/quads
3off
4Chest/triceps
5Deadlift/hamstrings
6Shoulders/Traps

I’ve been recovering well, just had a few issues with it - Legs are growing like weeds and my upper body… well, it isn’t.

So, I wanted something that gave more focus on each bodypart, like this:

1. Chest AM - Back width PM
  2. Quads/Hams
  3. Biceps
  4. Shoulders AM - Triceps PM
  5. Back thickness AM - Traps PM
  6. REST
  7. Repeat

I think this gives me plenty of flexibility in when I train different bodyparts and allows me to pay more attention to everything.

As far as sets/reps goes - As much as I can do and still recover =P, I’m not going to write anything down.

Thoughts? Insight? They’d be much appreciated.

So… are you going to be doing the same stuff, just in a different order? Or do you think if you do a bunch more sets for each part of a bodypart that you will get huge?

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
So… are you going to be doing the same stuff, just in a different order? Or do you think if you do a bunch more sets for each part of a bodypart that you will get huge?
[/quote]

That was a nice unhelpful condescending post.

Why do you think that splitting things up in such a way will make you grow better? Also, considering that you say you’re upper body isn’t recovering very well, why do you think training more frequently/more hours in the gym is going to remedy this?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Why do you think that splitting things up in such a way will make you grow better? Also, considering that you say you’re upper body isn’t recovering very well, why do you think training more frequently/more hours in the gym is going to remedy this?[/quote]

Where did I say my upper body isn’t recovering well?

I said it’s not growing, at least compared to my legs which are now 27" compared to my 42" chest…

Splitting it up will allow me to give more focus on each part and get lots of blood in there.

I think thats why my legs are growing so well because I have a seperate day for quads and hamstrings. So I figured doing the same with my upper body will make that grow too.

Yeah man, i think it looks ok. With regards to your upper body, what would you consider your weak points? Have you based the split around this?

Looking at it purely based on the split, your back should explode. Unless of course you make retarded exercise selection, or lousy set/rep schemes. But you’ve been on this site way longer than me, so i’m guessing not

Yeah man, i think it looks ok. With regards to your upper body, what would you consider your weak points? Have you based the split around this?

Looking at it purely based on the split, your back should explode. Unless of course you make retarded exercise selection, or lousy set/rep schemes. But you’ve been on this site way longer than me, so i’m guessing not

Take a look at this:

Good article.

Yeah, I want to be really wide. My clavicles are quite narrow, so I have to work harder to get that ‘big’ look. Thats why I thought giving a seperate day for lats would be a good idea.

[quote]bob84 wrote:
Take a look at this:

Good article. [/quote]

I don’t need that, but thanks.

Wendler Boring But Big template

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
, I’ve got quite a bit of time on my hands, and wanted to change things up a little to take advantage of that.

Right now i’ve been doing this split:
1Back/Biceps
2Squats/quads
3off
4Chest/triceps
5Deadlift/hamstrings
6Shoulders/Traps

I’ve been recovering well, just had a few issues with it - Legs are growing like weeds and my upper body… well, it isn’t.

So, I wanted something that gave more focus on each bodypart, like this:

1. Chest AM - Back width PM
  2. Quads/Hams
  3. Biceps
  4. Shoulders AM - Triceps PM
  5. Back thickness AM - Traps PM
  6. REST
  7. Repeat

I think this gives me plenty of flexibility in when I train different bodyparts and allows me to pay more attention to everything.

As far as sets/reps goes - As much as I can do and still recover =P, I’m not going to write anything down.

Thoughts? Insight? They’d be much appreciated.

[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, have your weights been increasing for upper body exercises as much as they have for lower?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
Why do you think that splitting things up in such a way will make you grow better? Also, considering that you say you’re upper body isn’t recovering very well, why do you think training more frequently/more hours in the gym is going to remedy this?

Where did I say my upper body isn’t recovering well?

I said it’s not growing, at least compared to my legs which are now 27" compared to my 42" chest…

Splitting it up will allow me to give more focus on each part and get lots of blood in there.

I think thats why my legs are growing so well because I have a seperate day for quads and hamstrings. So I figured doing the same with my upper body will make that grow too.[/quote]

My point is, why do you think more will be better? You will have plateus. Everyhtin will not always grow the same. How long have you been having problems with your upper body growth?