T Nation

Advice on New PL Routines

In both of these rotine I include olympic lifts due to the fact I want to compete in them one day.

routine 1 3 day:

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Clean n jerk 5x5

Wednesday:
Deadlifts 5x5
Military press 3x5
pullups 3x10ish with weight added
dips 3x7 with weight added

Friday:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Snatch 5x5

OR
4 day:

Monday: (chest tricep dominated)
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5(needs so much work)
Military press 3x5
Dips 3x7

Tuesday:
Squats 5x5
Deads 5x5
Calf raise 3x12

Wednesday: off

Thursday: (back/bicep dominated)
Bench 5x5
Bent over rows
wide grip pullups 3x10
curls 3x10

Friday:
Squats 5x5
clean n jerk 5x5
Snatch 5x5

I need a better layout so I can do olympic lifts in my lifting. my current routine looks like:

Monday:
Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Dead 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Tuesday
snatch 5x5
clean n jerk 5x5
hang clean 3x5

wednesday:off

Thursday:
Bench 5x5
Pullup 5x10
dips 3x5
curls 3x12
military press 3x5

Friday:
Squats 5x5
Deads 5x5
calf raise 3x10

Do the Oly lifts at the beginning while your fresh. Do them every workout to help you learn them. They won’t affect your other lifts. In fact they work as a warmup. You can probably cut out a warmup set or 2 of squats if you do cleans before hand.

You might add RDLs. They help you get in the grove for the cleans and go nicely to add some posterior chain work on your squat day. Do them right after you finish squats. Likewise front squats and overhead squats are helpful in practicing your form.

Try a 4 day routine like this:

day 1: Clean, back squat, RDL, standing calves
day 2: Power Jerk, Bench, Bent Row, curls
day 3: High Pull, Deadlift, front squat, seated calves
day 3: Snatch, overhead press, pull ups, dips

Those are just examples. You can add other stuff to the end, notice that its organized as power, strength, complementary, auxiliary.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:
Do the Oly lifts at the beginning while your fresh. Do them every workout to help you learn them. They won’t affect your other lifts. In fact they work as a warmup. You can probably cut out a warmup set or 2 of squats if you do cleans before hand.

You might add RDLs. They help you get in the grove for the cleans and go nicely to add some posterior chain work on your squat day. Do them right after you finish squats. Likewise front squats and overhead squats are helpful in practicing your form.

Try a 4 day routine like this:

day 1: Clean, back squat, RDL, standing calves
day 2: Power Jerk, Bench, Bent Row, curls
day 3: High Pull, Deadlift, front squat, seated calves
day 3: Snatch, overhead press, pull ups, dips

Those are just examples. You can add other stuff to the end, notice that its organized as power, strength, complementary, auxiliary.

Stu[/quote]

I’ve made my best srength gains sqatting and benching twice a week. I just think I need to lay off deading twice a week AND olympic lifting. I will keep your idea as an option, and it looks better everytime I look over it. i would probably switch the front squats with box squats, I want to do the OL lifts, but I still need to focus on my big three.

You will notice in my suggestion there is a squat, deadlift and a press twice a week, it’s just that they are variations. The big 3 are all there, and I suggest that that would be your heaviest workouts. The others are more for active recovery as you would not be using as heavy a weight. The front squats, RDLs, and OH press will add to your muscular balance. If you’re still progressing from workout to workout you may be better staying with what you’re doing, but if you’re not, this would allow you to focus on 1 big lift a workout and you can probably build more intensity and maybe get some more gains.

It’s just an idea.

P.S. If you like to C&J, on Day 1 add jerks to your warm up sets of cleans, the last set will likely be too heavy starting out to do jerks. On day 2, clean to the jerk position and practice the jerks for reps. I picked high pulls to build strength in the second pull and warm up for the deadlift and snatch to build speed and warm up the shoulders.

[quote]stuward wrote:
You will notice in my suggestion there is a squat, deadlift and a press twice a week, it’s just that they are variations. The big 3 are all there, and I suggest that that would be your heaviest workouts. The others are more for active recovery as you would not be using as heavy a weight. The front squats, RDLs, and OH press will add to your muscular balance. If you’re still progressing from workout to workout you may be better staying with what you’re doing, but if you’re not, this would allow you to focus on 1 big lift a workout and you can probably build more intensity and maybe get some more gains.

It’s just an idea.

P.S. If you like to C&J, on Day 1 add jerks to your warm up sets of cleans, the last set will likely be too heavy starting out to do jerks. On day 2, clean to the jerk position and practice the jerks for reps. I picked high pulls to build strength in the second pull and warm up for the deadlift and snatch to build speed and warm up the shoulders.[/quote]

how exactly do I doa high pull, deadlift from the rack right?

No, from the floor, just like a clean but without the catch. You don’t have to drop the bar like in the demo:
exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HighPull.html

Stu

that website didn’t work.

It worked for me. Try this:
exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HighPull.html

that worked. Thanks.