T Nation

Advice on My Routine

Hey I was just wondering if anyone can take a look at my routine and give me any words of advice on how to improve it or point out if I am missing any particular muscle groups.

I'm 6ft3, probably around 200lbs and did lifting for about a year or so, however over the past year I have had serious back problem (not related to lifting, to the best of my knowledge) that I only recently recovered from in the past three months (as such I am quite happy to sacrifice speed of increasing strength for the security of not accidentally making more issues). Now I feel ready to hit the iron again I really want to try to pick back up some of strength.

I go to the gym MWF with Tuesday and Thursday being left for either recovery or a run. All exercises start by warm up sets the same size as mentioned just at lower weights until the maximum weight for the session is attained.

Day A:

Squats: 3x5 max weight
Bench: 3x8 max weight
Deadlift: 4x5 max weight

Day B:

Squats: 3x5 max weight
Upright Row: 3x8 max weight
The final exercise was initially Military Press (or Overhead Press) 3x8 however I am thinking of changing this to an inclined bench press to enable me to rebuild some base strength and also frankly for confidence reasons.

All arm exercises are increased each session by 1.25kg (2.75lbs)
Deadlifts are increased each session by 2.5kg(5.5lbs)
Squats are increased on Day B only by 2.5kg(5.5lbs)

Days are then finished off with machine work or assisted pull ups (depending on how my body feels after the main program)

Current goals:
Squats and Deadlift - 90kg (198lbs)
Bench - 60kg (132lbs)
Pull ups - 10 unassisted.
Run - 10k and then a half marathon (by mid next year)
Increase confidence in my body (not from an observes perspective, but my recent health issues really has put a dampener on how much I'm willing to push myself).

On a side note: Can anyone recommend exercises for improving the muscles beneath the shoulder blades currently there is a dominance around my neck muscles which tends to mean that they take more weight than they really should and has lent to issues in the past.

Thanks for any response.

Look up 5/3/1 or 5x5. See you in 12 weeks

Your strength goals are in direct contradiction with your half marathon goals. You will have to make adjustments

And posting your diet is a must. Can't have one without the other.

I looked up Bill Starr's 5x5

Need to look up a couple of the exercises to make sure o I do them right.

Sorry for the basic question how come the strength goals are contrary to the running goals (just directing to a link will be fine). Personally Ill just be happy to run 10k rather than a proper half marathon.

My Current diet (Will probably need adjusting):
Bran flakes, bananas, protein shake

Ham sandwich, salad

Varies greatly. I enjoy cooking so it often depends on what I feel like. Though I try to cook as clean as possible.

Step 1: Increase all strength goals so that they're appropriate for a guy your size. (You should be shooting for at least bodyweight, ideally more than bodyweight. As it is your shooting for less than bodyweight.)
Step 2: Eat more protein and food in general.
Step 3: Stretch, foam roll and mobility work a lot.
Step 3: Follow a smart program such as 5-3-1, 5x5, WS4SB

If there's a decent park near you than you could easily do Fartlek or Sprints with sets of pull-ups and situps/crunches/planks/whatever ab work in between. Ab work will be very important for the weight lifting to keep a strong core and the pull-ups will knock out that goal. Of course you'll also be running to work for that 10k goal.

Then just focus on low rep, high weight work in the gym. Working sets of 1 rep to 6 reps for your main movements and 5 to 12 for most other movements.

Get educated on nutrition. You have the same diet when I was 9, except I was eating Fruit Loops.

What you've planned out sounds a lot like the Texas Method (but instead of upright rows, you would be doing Power Cleans.) Off of a very superficial glance of where you're at now, I would NOT suggest jumping on to something like 5/3/1 like recommended above.

Rippetoe's Starting Strength may be a good place for you to start. Most of the basics can be found on the web, but I would suggest getting the eBook: it's an incredible guide for new lifters (an if you're a super cheap bastard, you can torrent it pretty easily.)