Advice on My Next Move

Ok, Jan 1 2012, I was 339lbs and 33% body fat. I did the Get Shredded diet and it really helped me lose weight. I know i shouldn’t have with that high of a diet, but I saw a specific diet that had it all laid out for me and one that I could follow easily.

I ended the 12 weeks at 284 and 25% BF. I tried a lot of things from April until about Oct. I tried Carb Cycling, dont know if it worked? I stayed the same weight and I did nto see a body fat drop…below is the formula I went off of:
Day 1-2.5x Lean Body Weight
Day2- 1x LBW
Day3- 1x LBW
Day4- 2x LBW
Day5- .75 LBW
Day6- x1 LBW
Day7-.5 LBW
Repeat
Keep protein the same roughly 1.5 to 2g per LBW.

So my dad died in Oct and I just went on a 2 week binge of not caring. anyways I decided to get back on it and I am the Get Shredded Diet again.

I am currently at 275 and 21% and I am week 7 of it and feeling great!

I should finish at the 260-265 range and 18ish% BF.

Question is, should I slow bulk up or keep cutting? I have read several places where you should only Bulk at 7-8% BF.

I dont want to weigh less than 245 and would love to walk around at 11-13% BF.

Thanks in advance.

Hey buddy,

First of all, good job so far, losing weight is never, EVER, easy! I went thru the same many many years ago and I have much respect for anyone going through the same!

You talk a lot about your plans but never about your workout plans. So I’m not sure if you’re just some fat slouch trying to lose weight or if you’re a massive mofo who I should not be talking down to (hehe). What’s your training like? Cardio? High volume? No training at all?

Let us know!

Well I was trying to keep it away from a novel, but I totally get it. First 12 weeks, I did a 6 day on and 1 day off, single body part. I did HIIT about 3 times a week and steady state a couple of times and an “active off day”. Then I found Y3T training and I have been doing that ever since. I love it. I switch up up every 9 weeks to different workouts or different angles.

right now doing Y3T 4 days a week, 1 day of very intense ab work and I do cardio at least once a day. I just started throwing in cardio at night, so that makes 2 cardio sessions and 1 lifting. I do incorporate HIIT on my non lifting days.

I feel great, I am getting stronger. I used to play college Football (Oline) and was one of the strongest on the team in most lifts but squat. Never been really good at it, but I focus more on that than any other lift. Dead lift I go all out on and I just now began doing it (last 3 months). Never Dead lifted before.

I have thought about going back to a 6 day split and working Chest and Biceps twice a week. Those are my weakest “picture parts” everything else I have veins coming through, they look well defined for my Current BF %.

I’m curious as to how you are measuring bodyfat. Straight up circumference method?

Also, I have read that it’s not realistic to be much above 200lbs if your bodyfat is 10% or below (without steroids). Obviously genetics play a role as well. The thing is, 10% is actually quite ripped and a 200lb guy who legitimately has 10% bodyfat looks pretty big. That doesn’t mean that everything beyond 200lbs is fat. It’s just that as you get bigger and stronger, you have to accept more fat as well.

Well I am using the Omron hand held. I know it is not accurate, but it gave me a starting point and it is consistent. I am actually usually calipers for the first time tomorrow morning…

I figured the 11-13% walking around was maybe a tad stretch for how big I want to be. maybe I just don’t understand how low that really is?

[quote]csquaredosu66 wrote:
Well I am using the Omron hand held. I know it is not accurate, but it gave me a starting point and it is consistent. I am actually usually calipers for the first time tomorrow morning…

I figured the 11-13% walking around was maybe a tad stretch for how big I want to be. maybe I just don’t understand how low that really is?
[/quote]
You never know if it’s possible until you try. However, if you are 275 and 21% bf right now, you have 57.75 lbs of fat. At 245 and 13% bf, you would have 31.85 lbs of fat. That means you want to lose 30 lbs and have 25.9 of those pounds be fat (thus only lose 4.1 lbs of muscle). To reach 11% bf at 245, you would actually have to lose 30.8 lbs of fat and 30 lbs total (thus actually gain muscle while dropping a lot of fat). At 245 and 11-13% bf, you would be in fantastic shape.

so do I keep dropping weight until i get to like 225 and then slowly bulk? Do I just do maintenance calories and keep pushing and see what happens?

I have seen ratios like 40/40/20 to cut. I know everyone is different, but it seems like carbs just do not help me drop weight.