Advice On My Diet?

I’ve not been lifting for about 3 years and am just coming back. I’ve been focusing on on changing my diet and losing weight.
I don’t have any specific goals just yet, I’m just using a 3-day split to figure out exactly where I am strength-wise.

What I’d really like to know is what do you all think of my macro %'s, amount of protein, amount of calories etc.

Average day looks like this;
Calories - 1,700-2000
Macros - Carbs 50%, Fat 30%, Protein 20%

Protein comes mainly from fish, chicken and eggs.
Fat from eggs, olive oil and dairy.
Carbs from vegetables mainly with some oats.

What sort of vegetables?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
What sort of vegetables?[/quote]

Spinach, beetroot, kale, onions, tomatoes etc.

Last post was slightly misleading, I do eat rice and wholegrain pasta as well.

How much do you weigh? That is kind of crucial info to give any constructive response.

[quote]craze9 wrote:
How much do you weigh? That is kind of crucial info to give any constructive response.[/quote]

My current stats are;
Height - 5’ 10"
Weight - 168lbs
BF - 20-15%

So based on your numbers I’m guessing you’re in the skinny-fat category?

If I were you I’d adopt a diet strategy based on recomping – eating enough to fuel your workouts, build strength and possibly build muscle while also gradually losing fat. I’d start at 2,150 kcal, 190g protein, 210g carbs and the rest fat.

Or just eat more and focus on building muscle for the next few months and cut later.

So less than 100g of protein per day? If you are pursuing any sort of athletic endeavor, I recommend more. Adding a protein shake before each meal is an easy way to accomplish this and get more water in.

I’d also recommend you vary your fat sources a bit more.

Other than that, just go for it and remember you’re lot locked into this. Adjust as you see outcomes.

Skinny-fat definitely describes me!
I would say on average I eat around 100g of protein and about 200g of carbohydrates. I think I can easily up my protein intake with normal food.
My wife is vegetarian, so I often eat vegetarian (or even sadly vegan) meals. It’s been a great way to lose fat, I’ve lost around 60lbs.

I think by simply adding a chicken breast or two to my daily diet I can easily get my protein up towards 190g a day.

[quote]Books wrote:
I would say on average I eat around 100g of protein and about 200g of carbohydrates. I think I can easily up my protein intake with normal food.
My wife is vegetarian, so I often eat vegetarian (or even sadly vegan) meals. It’s been a great way to lose fat, I’ve lost around 60lbs.

I think by simply adding a chicken breast or two to my daily diet I can easily get my protein up towards 190g a day.[/quote]

A vegan or vegetarian diet can still get you enough protein; that’s no excuse. Google “JB goes vegetarian”.

Eat a steak already

[quote]Books wrote:

I think by simply adding a chicken breast or two to my daily diet I can easily get my protein up towards 190g a day.[/quote]

If you’ve lost 60lbs and are skinny-fat and just coming back to lifting after 3 years, I would do a 3-day strength program like Starting Strength or Greyskull LP and eat above maintenance. More like 2700 calories with plenty of protein. You can probably build a lot of strength and mass quickly.

I’m trying to be careful about my calorie intake, I put on fat very easily and its taken me a while to find a balance.
I do see what your saying about a moderate increase though. I’m thinking something closer to an extra 300-400 per day, and see how that feels?

As for training, I’m on a 3 day split, sticking to moderate weight and 8-12 rep range. This is just until I get used to training again and get a feel for where I am strength-wise.

[quote]Books wrote:
I’m trying to be careful about my calorie intake, I put on fat very easily and its taken me a while to find a balance.
I do see what your saying about a moderate increase though. I’m thinking something closer to an extra 300-400 per day, and see how that feels?

As for training, I’m on a 3 day split, sticking to moderate weight and 8-12 rep range. This is just until I get used to training again and get a feel for where I am strength-wise.[/quote]

That’s fine, I just wouldn’t go below 12-13x BW in calories and 1 g protein per lb.

The training is not optimal imo but good luck.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

The training is not optimal imo but good luck.[/quote]

The training im doing just now is just going to be until my body gets used to training again. I didnt want to dive straight into heavy weights after 3 years off.

[quote]Books wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

The training is not optimal imo but good luck.[/quote]

The training im doing just now is just going to be until my body gets used to training again. I didnt want to dive straight into heavy weights after 3 years off.[/quote]

“Heavy” is relative. You could still start light given your current strength (which probably isn’t enough to seriously tax your CNS anyway), but squatting and pressing 3x5 three times per week is going to drive adaptation much faster than once per week.

[quote]craze9 wrote: squatting and pressing 3x5 three times per week is going to drive adaptation much faster than once per week.
[/quote]

once per week? Im training 3-4x per week.

[quote]Books wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote: squatting and pressing 3x5 three times per week is going to drive adaptation much faster than once per week.
[/quote]

once per week? Im training 3-4x per week.[/quote]

Yeah, but you mentioned a split. How often do you work each muscle per week?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Books wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

AH ok! yes, each muscle group once per week. Although the routine i’m using is pretty comprehensive, lots of power moves.

But i see what your saying, i’m going to give myself 1 or 2 more weeks and then i’m going to start a powerbuilding style program.

I’d welcome some more suggestions for programs.

If you train four times a week, a basic upper/lower split where you hit each muscle twice a week would be best. There are plenty of good options for this; my suggestions would be 5/3/1 or the four-day version of Westside for Skinny Bastards. Again, there are plenty of other good ones.

[quote]Books wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Books wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

AH ok! yes, each muscle group once per week. Although the routine i’m using is pretty comprehensive, lots of power moves.

But i see what your saying, i’m going to give myself 1 or 2 more weeks and then i’m going to start a powerbuilding style program.

I’d welcome some more suggestions for programs.
[/quote]

I’m very new but sounds like we are trying to do the same sort of thing. I’m doing similar to you in regards of getting used to the weights before going head long into a program. I’m going to be doing Allpro, it’s 3 days a week with all the compound lifts and a few extras so what I’m doing at the moment is doing the same routine as the program but not worrying about hitting every rep or time between sets ect. I’m working on what my starting point will be basically. I’m not lifting heavy at all by most standards on here but adding weight all the time and lifting what I can without going mad. It’s working and will be starting the program proper in a couple of weeks. Hitting the same muscles 3x a week feels fine, bit of DOMS at the start but they soon went. Think you’d be pleased with the results that come from something like this, I know I am :slight_smile: