Advice on Memorizing a Script

Hey folks,

I just got a new job and as part of the deal I need to memorize a 5 page script in the next two weeks. While I’m pretty good at this sort of thing I figured I’d ask and see if anyone has any brilliant advice to help.

Things I’m doing include:

Reading the script out loud to myself.

I’ve recorded the first two pages and have it on my ipod to listen to when I’m not at home

Chanting it to myself at every opportunity.

I do have to have it perfect, like 5 words of less of error over 5 pages. Any brilliant advice?

STU

Rewrite it from memorization.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

the answer to anything study related is always…“adderall”

If he takes oxi, shouldn’t he take a choline source as well BBB?

Write it from memory
Read the script as you go if needed
Use a friend to correct you verbally

This will allow you to take advantage of kinesthetic, visual and audio learning styles.

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Hey folks,

I just got a new job and as part of the deal I need to memorize a 5 page script in the next two weeks. While I’m pretty good at this sort of thing I figured I’d ask and see if anyone has any brilliant advice to help.

I’ve recorded the first two pages and have it on my ipod to listen to when I’m not at home

I do have to have it perfect, like 5 words of less of error over 5 pages. Any brilliant advice?

STU[/quote]

Good stuff. Do you have to recite it in front of an audience? If so, do you know how big the audience will be?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Hey folks,

STU[/quote]

Good stuff. Do you have to recite it in front of an audience? If so, do you know how big the audience will be? [/quote]

Two people, the regional manager at the job and the branch manager. I’m generally quite good at this sort of thing but I figured I’d check.

I wonder if typing it would have the same effect as writing it. . . probably since I type far more than I write. . .

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Nootropics.

800mg of oxiracetam specifically (keeping it simple for you).

BBB[/quote]

Unfortunately I doubt there’s anywhere in Edmonton for me to purchase that and if I order online it won’t be here in time.

Heck a quick web sear doesn’t even bring up any places to buy it, only Piracetam

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
the answer to anything study related is always…“adderall”[/quote]

Ritalin is superior in my humble opinion

On a quick note I just tried typing this out as I say it to see how that works and holy crap did my retention ever skyrocket. This is a way more effecient way for me to study this stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Ritalin eh. . . maybe I’ll ask around.

[quote]Sturat wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Hey folks,

STU[/quote]

Good stuff. Do you have to recite it in front of an audience? If so, do you know how big the audience will be? [/quote]

Two people, the regional manager at the job and the branch manager. I’m generally quite good at this sort of thing but I figured I’d check.

[/quote]

OK, cool. I asked about the size of the audience because it could affect your nerves depending on how well you handle public speaking. Tension is the enemy of recall, no matter how well prepared you are.

Relax and don’t second-guess yourself. If you start to feel apprehensive, make sure you rehearse your speech in front of actual human beings and don’t leave it until the day.

In my experience, the number one pitfall of memorizing a script is the tendency to paraphrase: this a natural attempt by your mind to find a short cut to committing information to memory by changing the words on the page into language and terms that you use. Not good if you are expected to recite a script verbatim.

Typing /writing it out is the most powerful tool you can use against paraphrasing because it helps you to internalize somebody else’s words and ideas. I think you have all the suggestions you need, but I know a few other effective mnemonic techniques that haven’t been mentioned, if you need them. Good luck!