T Nation

Advice on How to Progress Further?

Hi everyone I’m hoping you can help me out in how I can push my lifts on even further. I’m currently training at home in my garage and loving the simplicity of big compound movements and I am progressing well in all of them. The only real sticking point is the rdls now that they are getting. Fairly heavy I can feel my form going slightly and I’m not sure how much more weight I can add on the bar and keep progressing. I am doing an upper lower split and I have 2 upper sessions and 2 lower sessions that I alternate. I guess what I am asking is would you keep going with the sessions that I have and maybe take the weight down for the rdls and up the volume in reps to. Solve the problem as its only an accessory move really. Here’s my sessions
Lower 1
Back squat
Rdl
Calf raise

Upper 1
Ohp
Bb row underhand
Shrugs

Lower 2
Front squats
Deadlift
High rep calf raise

Upper 2
Bench
Bb row
Tripec press

This is what I’m doing currently and the main compounds I aim for 5x5 and only when I can perform the 5x5 with good form I will add weight and go again. The accessories I aim for 3x10 and again add weight when I achieve this. Hope this makes sense.

Any help would be great. Thanks

I’m sure many of us could be a nerd and write an essay on all the cool things you could do, but I’ll keep it short.

You seem pretty focused on the rdls, so my suggestion is if you haven’t already and can keep good form, do them standing on a plate or two and really slow down the eccentric and pause just off the floor every rep. That should be a decent change up as far as hip hinging goes.

One more thing is just swapping to good mornings for a bit.

What is your primary goal, that is, what are you hoping to achieve via weightlifting? (“Push my lifts on even further” is too vague to allow useful feedback/advice.)

1 Like

I’m open to suggestions as far as the rdls are concerned. My main goals are to progress my strength as much as possible and hopefully compete in strength events in the future, also I want to build a powerful strong physique and I’m starting to see results in this mainly in my back and. Traps and legs so far.

Lower 1
Back squat
Rdl

Upper 1
Ohp
Cleans, or Hang Cleans
Laterls
Rear Fly or equivalent

Lower 2
Deadlift
Rows - both variations if that floats your boat
Biceps/Grip - Thick Bar curls, reverse of regular, or Plate Curls

Upper 2
Bench
Bb row
Tripec press/Tricep variation of some kind
Overhead squats

Rows aren’t really 3x a week critical for any goals, and calf raises generally serve no purpose whatsoever outside of Bodybuilding.
Do some stretching, AFTER your workout or on off days.
Do so cardio. Nothing crazy, just some.

“Strength events” = strongman comps?

If this has been working for you then I’d probably just swap out the RDL for a different exercise (perhaps a stiff Leg deadlift or a good morning, depending on what my deadlift weakness is)

It also doesn’t hurt to drop an exercise for a while. Maybe do some Sumo DL’s instead for a whie. Also, you could try changing up rep ranges, 5x5 is nice for a while and accomplishes some things, but nothing is forever.

Undulating Periodization…familiarize yourself with this concept.

2 Likes