Advice on High Frequency Training

Hello,

I’ve been weightligting for a few years now and am interested in building raw strength as well as having a great physique.
I have starter reading Pavel’s “Beyond Bodybuilding” and have started his 5 x 5 x 5 workout, choosing 5 exercises and doing 1 set of 5 from Mon - Fri.

Today I did Incline chest press, Leg press (I’m not great at squatting heavy, ok with medium - high reps), one arm dumbbell row, push press and barbbell bicep curl.
I’m going to repeat this for the next four days.
What do you think of this plan? Is there a way I could tweak it for maximum results?

I have an addictive personality which is often to my detriment (eg. Gambling!), however in this instance I think by using High Frequency Training I am using this personality trait to my advantage…

Less exercises + more sets per day.

Looks good if the goal is to have severely lagging bodyparts. Do you know of anyone who has built a great physique training in this manner? If you really MUST try high frequency training maybe look into big beyond belief, otherwise check out the bodybuilding bible thread and base your routine on that. I don’t know why that thread isn’t stickied.

Or check out Cephalic Carnage’s thread. A mess of great info in there.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Looks good if the goal is to have severely lagging bodyparts. Do you know of anyone who has built a great physique training in this manner? If you really MUST try high frequency training maybe look into big beyond belief, otherwise check out the bodybuilding bible thread and base your routine on that. I don’t know why that thread isn’t stickied.[/quote]

I made the “bodybuilding bible” the very first link in the Best of T-Nation sticky. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people don’t bother to read it… which strikes me as retarded.

If I wanted to get into bodybuilding, and went to a bodybuilding website, in the bodybuilding forum, and saw a stickied link to a thread called THE BODYBUILDING BIBLE I would probably be curious.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Looks good if the goal is to have severely lagging bodyparts. Do you know of anyone who has built a great physique training in this manner? If you really MUST try high frequency training maybe look into big beyond belief, otherwise check out the bodybuilding bible thread and base your routine on that. I don’t know why that thread isn’t stickied.[/quote]

I made the “bodybuilding bible” the very first link in the Best of T-Nation sticky. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people don’t bother to read it… which strikes me as retarded.

If I wanted to get into bodybuilding, and went to a bodybuilding website, in the bodybuilding forum, and saw a stickied link to a thread called THE BODYBUILDING BIBLE I would probably be curious.[/quote]

You should rename it to “Read this before posting ridiculous ‘critique my routine’ threads.”

Thanks for the replies, I found a copy of Big Beyond Belief online, very interesting read… also checked out the bodybuilding bible thread about training bodypart twice a week.

In light of this (and also to add more reps as suggested in first reply) I’ve come up with a new routine built entirely of compound movements.

Mon: Back, Biceps and shoulders:

Lat Pull Down 5 x 5
One arm bentover row 5 x 5
Military Press 5 x 5
Close Grip Pull up 5 x 5

Tues: Chest, Triceps, Legs:

Incline Bench Press 5 x 5
Close Grip Bench Press 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Leg Press 5 x 5

Thursday: Back, Biceps and shoulders:

Lat Pull Down 4 (sets) x 10 (reps)
One arm bentover row 4 x 10
Military Press 4 x 10
Close Grip Pull up 4 x 10

Friday: Chest, Triceps, Legs:

Incline Bench Press 4 x 10
Close Grip Bench Press 4 x 10
Deadlift 4 x 10
Squats 4 x 10 (instead of leg press - my technique is fine with a lower weight and more weight with squats)

So what do you think of this revised plan?

How the hell did you get THAT from reading Big Beyond Belief and the Bodybuilding Bible thread!?

The problem with HFT principles is that MOST people simply can not overload themselves enough to make the muscle grow, and aren’t willing to spend a good 3 hours achieving so. Which is why I always recommend training splits. Yeah HFT sounds cool, but not very practical for most people if your goal is to add some size unless you are efficient and effective at it. It works well if you know what you are doing, but to date out of the everyone I see training this way (and there are A LOT at my gym), I’ve seen one that has pulled it off and I put that down to great genetics because his routine is seriously B.S.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:
The problem with HFT principles is that MOST people simply can not overload themselves enough to make the muscle grow, and aren’t willing to spend a good 3 hours achieving so. Which is why I always recommend training splits. Yeah HFT sounds cool, but not very practical for most people if your goal is to add some size unless you are efficient and effective at it. It works well if you know what you are doing, but to date out of the everyone I see training this way (and there are A LOT at my gym), I’ve seen one that has pulled it off and I put that down to great genetics because his routine is seriously B.S.[/quote]

It really comes down to what you define as “HFT”. Twice a week? Thrice a week? Or are you talking about a specific program thats named “High Frequency Training” written by someone?

Whats the “3 hour” thing you are talking about?

If by HFT you mean more than once a week/bodypart, I’d have to take issue with you. But it sounds like you are talking about total body, three times a week…right?

I consider what I do to be high frequency, but I definitely have always done it using training splits.

[/quote]
Yeah I’m talking about the full body sessions that people generally refer to as ‘HFT’ … despite how much I don’t like using it in that context. Not any particular program.

Where I stated ‘3 hours’ I was referring to working out everything ‘properly’ which is kind of subjective anyway. More so I’m saying it would take the vast majority of beginner to intermediate trainers a lot more volume than just a few sets of one exercise for each body part to add any respectable size in the long run, based on the fact it is very unlikely that they would know if they have trained hard enough to warrant any growth. Which in turn translates into spending longer sessions in the gym to get all that volume in.

To me a training split is basically anything that makes you split the entire body up. Upper/Lower, Push/Pull/Legs, etc.

Ive tried training I think how modock does, 3 way split right for the most-part? I remember reading the thread awhile ago and likeing it, I tried it a while ago for a significant amount of time and it is probably my faveorite way to train by far, I only stopped because Im trying everything else out to see what I respond best to but Nothing has every worked better for me then a 3 way split. 2-way split with 3 rotations a week like the BBB style is too much for my wrists to be curling every other day. Ive gone back to the 3way this week and happy to be back

[quote]GrizzlyBear wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I found a copy of Big Beyond Belief online, very interesting read… also checked out the bodybuilding bible thread about training bodypart twice a week.

In light of this (and also to add more reps as suggested in first reply) I’ve come up with a new routine built entirely of compound movements.

Mon: Back, Biceps and shoulders:

Lat Pull Down 5 x 5
One arm bentover row 5 x 5
Military Press 5 x 5
Close Grip Pull up 5 x 5

Tues: Chest, Triceps, Legs:

Incline Bench Press 5 x 5
Close Grip Bench Press 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Leg Press 5 x 5

Thursday: Back, Biceps and shoulders:

Lat Pull Down 4 (sets) x 10 (reps)
One arm bentover row 4 x 10
Military Press 4 x 10
Close Grip Pull up 4 x 10

Friday: Chest, Triceps, Legs:

Incline Bench Press 4 x 10
Close Grip Bench Press 4 x 10
Deadlift 4 x 10
Squats 4 x 10 (instead of leg press - my technique is fine with a lower weight and more weight with squats)

So what do you think of this revised plan?[/quote]

Don’t like it. I’m not a fan of upper/lower splits personally. I think a 6 day a week layout is much better for training each bodypart twice a week. I’d say either do that or a bodypart split.

Maybe something to look at:

Lots of “powerbuilding” relatively high frequency articles on that site.

This one is pretty extreme, if you like it you might want to build up to that kind of volume over a good period of time.

I don’t know what your goals are, but NFL athletes are some seriously big dudes and they have marathon training sessions 5 days a week in the offseason. I don’t like the high frequency stuff myself.