T Nation

Advice on HCT Setup

I'm in the process of setting up a 3-5 month plan. I'm following the HCT-12 program which allows you to pick a the exercises. My main goal is general mass and thickness, so i 've tried to keep most things compound, and i 've spilt the bench and shoulders from the original to separate days. I would like to bring arms and especially legs up, during this program.

Do you think the selection is well balanced? and will prove effective or should i move things around?
I'm going to try eating +500-750 from BMR per day.

General stats. 190lb 14%BF 1 year lifting.

If i miss anything just say :slightly_smiling: thanks in advance for all help

Program system: ABA

A

Bent over rows - 5 sets of 6
2 Warm up sets. 2 Heavy sets. 1 Cluster 6+2+2+2. 30 Seconds between cluster.

Bench Press - 5 sets of 6

Dead Lift - 3 sets of 6
1 Warm up set. 1 Heavy Set. 1 Cluster 6+2+2+2. 30 Seconds between cluster.

Chin ups - 5 sets of 6-10
Body weight progressing to belt.

Dips - 5 sets of 6-10
Body weight progressing to belt.

B

Squat - 6 sets of 6
1 Warm up set. 4 Heavy. 1 Cluster 6+2+2+2. 30 Seconds between cluster.

Military Press - 5 sets of 6

Rack Pulls - 5 sets of 6

Drag Curls - 4 sets of 10
1 Warm up. 4 Heavy.
SS with CGBP
1 Warm up. 4 Heavy.

Ab Crunch Machine - 5 sets of 6
1 Warm up. 4 Heavy.

Treadmill 5-10 minutes.
Interval training.

That’s a shitload of DLing - might be too much to handle, depends on intensity of course. DLs are good for the posterior chain, but they place a huge strain on the back (and on recovery). And you have a TON of triceps dependent work in there. I know I couldn’t handle that much with good intensity, maybe you can though. Try it out.

Fuck the ab crunch machine, there are a LOT of better exercises. I personally like pallof press variations.

If you want to bring up legs, you need more leg exercises. More squats / variations. Maybe calf work as well. A ham exercise like RDL.

[quote]talldude wrote:
That’s a shitload of DLing - might be too much to handle, depends on intensity of course. DLs are good for the posterior chain, but they place a huge strain on the back (and on recovery). And you have a TON of triceps dependent work in there. I know I couldn’t handle that much with good intensity, maybe you can though. Try it out.

Fuck the ab crunch machine, there are a LOT of better exercises. I personally like pallof press variations.

If you want to bring up legs, you need more leg exercises. More squats / variations. Maybe calf work as well. A ham exercise like RDL.[/quote]

Thanks talldude!!! Ok shall i cut CGBP and lower DL to one warmup and 1 cluster? What would you suggest for abs? fucking hate working those lol

I meant DL with rackpull, which is the same movement pattern as DL will be a lot of volume. I think the DL by itself is ok. I’d drop the rackpulls completely and switch things around such that you have a leg pressing movement (lunges, front squats, split squats…what have you, just another squat type movement) for every workout.

Abs - like I said, I like pallof presses. Knee tucks with an exercise ball work well too. Hanging leg raises, blast strap miyagis, plank variations…there’s a lot.

[quote]talldude wrote:
I meant DL with rackpull, which is the same movement pattern as DL will be a lot of volume. I think the DL by itself is ok. I’d drop the rackpulls completely and switch things around such that you have a leg pressing movement (lunges, front squats, split squats…what have you, just another squat type movement) for every workout.

Abs - like I said, I like pallof presses. Knee tucks with an exercise ball work well too. Hanging leg raises, blast strap miyagis, plank variations…there’s a lot.[/quote]

Ok thanks alot dude, do you think i should cut the volume of the rack pulls? I would like to develop my traps abit too, do you think i 'm going abit overboard with it? Thanks for advice btw :slight_smile: