Advice on Groin Pull Recovery

Anyone got any advice on how to accelerate the healing of a groin pull? My legs will never survive a long layoff.

To be blunt, not really. If it’s giving you a lot of problems, I’d say to go see your sports medicine doctor.

I’m about 3 months into the recovery of a groin pull although I made the recovery time much longer than it needed to be by trying to squat, deadlift, etc. throughout the injury. Basically my groin would get close to healing itself and then I’d screw it up again.

I finally saw my doctor, he gave me a shot of some cortisteroids and some anti-inflammatories and it’s finally starting to return to normal. My doctor pretty much told me what I already knew and that is you just have to stop aggravating it and let it heal.

I take it the steroids were to help the muscle heal? I didn’t know they did that.

[quote]flea333 wrote:
I take it the steroids were to help the muscle heal? I didn’t know they did that.[/quote]

Cortesteroids, not anabolics.

Take an open-minded look again at Dave Barr’s article from yesterday.

Not to damper your hopes, but this is my experience. It took me ~1 year to get over my groin pull fully. In the interim, I stretched the hell out of it, did light squats, working my way up to heavy. From my experience, if you take care of it–stretching, glucosomine, fish oil–ice it afeter working out, heat it prior to working out, and slowly wqork up to heavy weights, it will heal (eventually). That’s just what worked for me.

[quote]Redbones27 wrote:
Take an open-minded look again at Dave Barr’s article from yesterday.[/quote]

I think you mean Dave Tate. Yes, the Jumpstretch bands will help a lot with a groin injury.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1105903

red this about pulled muscles
what is the muscle that you pulled?
What muscle is a synergist for that action?
How does that muscle, when isolated, test both from side to side and generally?
Example, pulled hamstring.

Check ability to activate the glute on that side. Check the side to side strength and endurance with the side that isn’t pulled.

Sounds like a pain, good luck.

[quote]bgl500 wrote:
I’m about 3 months into the recovery of a groin pull although I made the recovery time much longer than it needed to be by trying to squat, deadlift, etc. throughout the injury. Basically my groin would get close to healing itself and then I’d screw it up again.
[/quote]

This is exactly what happened to me. I’m now at about 90% from a groin pull that occurred in mid-January. I reinjured it every time that I thought it was sufficiently healed to squat again.

I finally went to an A.R.T. guy who works with athletes. It’s taken several (painful) visits to break up the scar tissue that had formed and to regain flexibility, but I’m squatting again and feel better than I have since my injury.

My advice is to get medical help. Otherwise you could end up in the same injury cycle that I did and take much longer to recover than need be.