T Nation

Advice on Getting to Goals?

Hey all. I'm fairly new to lifting (ran track in high school) but i am looking to bulk.
I'm 5"11 and 175 (did StrongLifts 5x5 for about 2 months and gained 10 lbs from there)
Goals: at 4 months
weight- 200lbs
squat-300lbs
bench-270lbs
OHP-140lbs

WOuld like some help on these, not sure if they are realistic. I have done a fair amount of research on nutrition and recovery. I was doing 3 full body workouts a week with the 5x5 routine, but the more i read the more i find that a 3 or 4 day split would be better for gaining.

My 3 day split that i have put together so far is this:

day 1: chest(bench, incline bench) Biceps(BB curls, hammer curls, others?)
day 2: Legs (Squat, leg press, calf raises)
day 3: Back (pull ups, chin ups, BB rows, others/better lifts?) Triceps (weighted dips, Others?)

So as you can see i would love some advice on improving my workout. I plan on eating roughly 4000Kcals per day, 200g protein as well. I always get about 8-9 hours of sleep(more on weekends)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Different/ better exercises and rep/set range (thinking 3-4 sets at 6-9 reps as well as some attainable gaining goals for the the next 4 months.

3 day, 4 day, 5 day, green jacket gold jacket who gives a shit. Find out what works for you. What you think you know will get turned upside down the more you train. You should always be dumber than your future self.

You have strength goals yet are training more like a bodybuilder. If you're focusing on strength, and eating for size, your goals might come.

4k calories and only 200g of that being protein? Bit low in my opinion.

You need hamstring exercises, I like romanian deadlifts and leg curls. Youre not even training your shoulders yet you want to increase your overhead press. I don't think that more than two exercises for biceps is necessary, but if it works for you... For back I like deadlifts but if you don't care about your deadlift number it's not necessary. For chest I would use atleast one exercise that isolates the chest more, like flies etc. In summary, make sure you hit every muscle and you need to find the exercises that work best for you. an up your protein intake to 250-300g

If you've done track for the past few years, bump that training up from 3 days/week fast. Like, within the next two weeks or so.

Eat like a champ.

Its hard to help someone on a goal without knowing where they are starting from. It would be like giving directions to a person without knowing where they are coming from.

You say you gained weight doing 5x5 but how did your lifts change? Was it working?

you could try 5/3/1 or one lift a day as your goals are strength-focused, and if you eating 4000kcal, eat more than 200g protein, at least 300g.