Advice on Diet for Strength Gain

Hello, first time poster here!

I wanted to ask some of you more experienced guys and girls about a diet plan I want to start soon. I’m on the last week of the second cycle of Wendler’s 5/3/1 and I made a little meal plan I want to follow, so I would like to hear from some of you if it’s any good.

I’m a beginner, I’ve been lifting for only one year now. I started with some basic programs like 5x5, but the problem was that I was eating way too much junk food. I got fat, my body weight skyrocketed from 175 lbs to 225 lbs in about four months. I managed to lose about 20 lbs, and I lost some strength along the way. That’s when I decided I wanted something new.

Enter Jim Wendler with his 5/3/1! I like the program so far, I regained some of my strength, but I think that my nutrition still sucks. I am no longer eating junk food (well, not that often), and while I’m still consuming enough protein daily (about 220 g/day), my carbohydrates and fats tend to suck. That’s why I made my first meal plan, and I want to know if it’s any good.

I am 25 years old, my current body weight is 205 lbs. I don’t know my body fat percentage, I never measured it and honestly, I don’t know how. I primarily train because I want to compete in powerlifting.

So here’s the plan:

Meal 1: - 4 whole eggs
- 2 wheat buns
- 2 bananas

Meal 2: - 9 oz chicken breast
- 150 g rice

Meal 3: - 100 g Peanut butter
- 2 wheat buns

Meal 4: - 9 oz beef
- 150 g rice

Meal 5: - 1 l whole milk
- 2 wheat buns
- 2 bananas

I drink one protein shake after training.

To sum it up: - Protein 300 g
- Carbohydrates 435 g
- Fats 160 g
Total: 4370 calories

So, what do you guys think?

I primarily train for strength, I don’t really care that much if I don’t have abs. That being said, I want to try the 5/2 Fat-Loss Diet that was posted here a few days ago. Link: Breaking: Great Fat Loss News for Dieters Even though I don’t care about abs, I don’t want to be a fat slob.

1. I’m a little rusty on macros, but 300g protein? Where?

2. What’s up with all the buns?

3. Are you allergic to vegetables?

4. Get your diet in cheque before trying that 5/2.

5. Read the articles on nutrition here.

I’m not allergic to vegetables, I certainly want to replace those buns with some of them, like beans, peas, quinoa and some oatmeal.

Concerning the amount of protein, well, when I calculate everything, it turns out 299 grams, so I just wrote 300.

I think you need to get a bodybuilding friendly cookbook. This screams lack of culinary creativity. Putting in a little prep work can make all the difference. Basically what JFG said minus the protein thing. Oh, and beans, peas, are not ideal veggies and quinoa and some oatmeal are not vegetables. Broccoli, cabbage, onion, carrots, garlic, etc.

Okay, but how much should I eat those vegetables to get to the desired amount of carbohydrates? I listed peas and beans because they’re very rich in carbs, while those veggies you listed all have less than 10 g of carbs per 100 g, while beans have 25 to 27 g.

Ill stress #5 of my list.

Also, start with this.

http://www.T-Nation.com/testosterone-magazine-635#green-faces-diet

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_history_of_dieting_and_take_home_lessons

3 Options regarding fat:

1. lose it
  2. keep it
  3. add some

Now I understand you don’t need a 6 pack, but are you looking to do (1) (2) or (3)?

Unless you are lifting huge in the gym (which I doubt since you’re new) or working a labor intensive job many hours a day you are certain to gain fat with 4300 calories.

I’d say it would be more reasonable to start around 3000, keep the protein as is and cut the fat and carbs you currently listed. Stay on course and adjust the diet as you get and evaluate results.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

or working a labor intensive job many hours a day.[/quote]

This.

Not every day has the same intensity, but overall it is a labor intensive job.