T Nation

Advice on Current Training Program

Hey guys, just looking for some advice on my current program. Its been a little while since ive mixed things up, so im just looking for a little input on my current program. I’m currently 5’9, 185 and 19 years old, been training for 4 years, (about one year correctly lol). Ive corrected my diet about three months ago and have noticed a big difference! I keep my rest period between 60-90sec. Ive added about 30mins of steady state cardio, and abs 3-4 times a week, calves are also worked atleast 3 times a week (since they need to come up).

Back Day
4-6 sets pull-ups/chins
4-5 sets bent-over rows or t-bar rows
2 heavy sets of one armed DB rows
4-5 sets lat pull downs
4-5 sets cables rows

Chest Day
4-5 sets of bench press
3-4 sets of incline bench db or bb
4 sets of db fly
2 sets of decline bench
3 sets of cable cross overs
(I’ll throw in a few sets of pull overs some weeks too)
one set of dips to finish off

Legs
2 sets of leg extensions
6-8 sets of squats
4 sets of deadlifts
3-4 sets of hack sqauts or 45 degree leg press
4 sets of seated ham curls
4 sets of laying ham curls
several sets to hit calves (I do something for calves almost every day)

Shoulders
10 sets of shoulder press (GVT)
3 sets of shoulder tri set (side raises, front raises, shoulder press) (super set 45 reps total)
4-5 sets db or bb shrugs
super setted with rear delt flys

Arms
4 sets close grip bench super setted with BB curls
4 sets one arm tricep extensions super setted with db curls
4 sets weighted dips super setted with another bicep movement

This program isn’t set in stone, if I feel like i can do more sets I will. Ive been reading a lot about new programs, and I’m not sure if I have too much volume or not enough. Any input would be great! My goal is to add size and strength, I’m looking into doing a show this time next year and want to add some quality muscle mass in the next 9 months, before I cut back down.

Thanks a bunch guys
-jt

I probably should add my lifts too:

Deadlift: 3x405
Squat: 2x365
Bench: 1x265 (this needs to come up… A LOT)

If there is anything else you guys want to know about my training/diet/supplements please ask, I’ll fill you in.

Thanks again fellas
-jt

actually, i’d say you’re deadlift needs to come up a tad.

good job so far man!

I truly hope that not all of those sets are work sets! If that were the case, you can say hello to burnout. If however only ONE set for each exercise is a true workset (and even then it seems like much) then perhaps its not that bad.

On top of this your doing 3-4 sessions of cardio? Seems like overkill, and like your trying to chase two rabbits at once.

I also have to ask why are shoulders GVT and nothing else?

All in all I think the split breakdown is fine. If it were me, I’d separate Hams from Quads, but thats just me.

I’d also reduce the volume quite a bit, and only do about 2-3 cardio sessions a week.

[quote]forbes wrote:
I truly hope that not all of those sets are work sets! If that were the case, you can say hello to burnout. If however only ONE set for each exercise is a true workset (and even then it seems like much) then perhaps its not that bad.

On top of this your doing 3-4 sessions of cardio? Seems like overkill, and like your trying to chase two rabbits at once.

I also have to ask why are shoulders GVT and nothing else?

All in all I think the split breakdown is fine. If it were me, I’d separate Hams from Quads, but thats just me.

I’d also reduce the volume quite a bit, and only do about 2-3 cardio sessions a week.[/quote]

I’m very heavy on cardio because im going to cuba in about 2.5 weeks so im trying drop more fat quickly.
Also warm up sets are included in the total. I plan on using GVT for other muscles soon, I’m just trying to bring up the delts right now. I’ll also give splitting up quads and hams a try. Thanks for the replys and advice so far!
-jt

Anyone else have anything to add?

i would recommend deadlifting on your back day. i usually do my big lifts first thing so i can put the most effort into those, and then assistance exercises after wards. after all, youre going to grow the most from squats, deadlifts and benchpress, so might as well put those before anything else. just my opinion though

Yes sir, deadlift on your back day for sure.

And be sure to switch whatever cardio activity you do each week for optimal results. I try and alternate between everything but running when i go for the fat loss and it works awesome if you go:

rowing
KB/DB swings
bike [i stay standing on this to save my gooch]
skipping
burpees

then repeat it. by the time you get back to rowing the next month or about 4 weeks later it kicks your ass like it did the first day of the first week. But you get really good at at after about 2 weeks and I’m sure you dont get the same fatloss effect.

-chris