T Nation

Advice on Chains for Squating

I needed to know the ideal length of chain for squats? If it matters I’m only 5’5. Since I’ve started squatting it’s become my favorite exercise and I would love to add chains to the mix.

Do you have a reason to add chains to the mix other than “it looks real cool”?

That being said, standard is to have 5 feet of chain - 5/8" links and have a lead chain to adjust the height as needed.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

That being said, standard is to have 5 feet of chain - 5/8" links and have a lead chain to adjust the height as needed.[/quote]

Because I heard they create more resistance at the top of the squat. I want the same struggle through out the entire squat. I don’t care about “looking cool” and also I work out privately.

Thanks for the answer.

I like to set them up with a couple of links on the ground when I’m at the top of my squat, that way they aren’t freely swinging around, but you’re still carrying 90% of the chain weight at lockout and unloading most of the chain at the bottom. I agree with LM’s recommendation. 5’ lengths are perfect, 5/8" links if you can find them. They aren’t cheap, unless you live near the shore where it’s used for boat anchors (might be wrong).

[quote]IlluminatiDre wrote:

That being said, standard is to have 5 feet of chain - 5/8" links and have a lead chain to adjust the height as needed.[/quote]

Because I heard they create more resistance at the top of the squat. I want the same struggle through out the entire squat. I don’t care about “looking cool” and also I work out privately.

Thanks for the answer.[/quote]

Because you heard…

Okay - when training - especially when using various implements - actually know the reason they’re used and how they’re going to affect your training, how to load them properly, how to utilize them properly. Chains aren’t going to give you the same struggle throughout the entire movement - they change the force curve for sure but it’s not a parallel line by any means be it a max effort movement or dynamic effort.

Chains are a good tool, as are bands, boards, and all the fun little things you see people use - but again truly understand their uses before just tossing them in. Go download “The Vault” if you still can from EFS and read up on all the uses of these tools and how to actually incorporate them, it’ll be a huge help to you.

Thanks to both. I’ll see if I can download “The Vault”.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/

Also read that a few times. I still make sure to read that once a year.

Because I heard they create more resistance at the top of the squat. I want the same struggle through out the entire squat.[/quote]

Ummm, why not just put more plates on then?

This is either worded very poorly or I am completely confused…

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

Because I heard they create more resistance at the top of the squat. I want the same struggle through out the entire squat.[/quote]

Ummm, why not just put more plates on then?

This is either worded very poorly or I am completely confused…[/quote]

You’re completely confused. Go read the article I linked and try and get a copy of “The Vault”

Hey Illuminati and others. Places like McMaster-Carr carry industrial level equipment and I have gotten my chains 3/8th through 3/4" through them. 3/4" chains which is approx 6 lbs per foot runs about 3.00 per Pound.
It is not cheap by any means but have found it incredibily useful over the last 15 months.

Sutebun, yes you are completely confused.