T Nation

Advice on 3-Day Split

Need some advice from the gurus on my 3 day split

I’m 33 years old, height 5"9 weight 162, started working out late of January of this year.

My diet:Â

Meal 1  : Breakfast

10-12oz of almond milk
60-100g raw oats
30g whey/casein isolate
Tbls powdered pb or tbls natty pb
25g virgin olive oil
Frozen Mixed berries and whole banana
This will be mixed into a blender

I alternate on my breakfast I either have the smoothie or make a nice omelet 3 large egg white one whole egg with fat free shredded cheese two slices of turkey bacon this will be cooked in a pan with a tbls of unrefined coconut oil or I would have a bowl of coco fruity pebbles with whey and 12oz almond milk

Meal 2: Lunch

Pb/jelly sandwich 2 slices of Arnold oat or multi grain bread with either glass of almond milk or whey shake with water or almond milk. Or a can of tuna in water with half of a small avocado mushed with sea salt and two slices of tomatoes with either oat or multi bread.

Meal3: Snack

Whey protein shake

Meal4: Dinner

I cook my dinner in bulk usually lasts me about 3-4 days. 2lbs of ground turkey either 85-93% fat free I cook this in a pan mixed with veggies and seasoning or I cook bulk of chicken breasts seasoned baked in The oven I also cook 4 cups of brown rice I would have the meal with a side of salad and walden farms bacon dressing.

Meal5: Snack

Whey shake or a bowl of cereal with almond milk and whey.

Supplements:

Creatine / I try drinking a gallon of water everyday
Beta alanine
Acetyl-l carnitine
Carlson orange flavored fish oil
norcodrene 2 caps on workout days

My 3 day split with 1 min-3min rest between setsÂ

Chest/Triceps

Squats 5x5
Cable iron crosses 3x10
Barbell bench press 5x5
Incline bench press 5x5
Pec deck 3x10
Compound close grip presses 3x10
Single arm dumbell presses 3x10
Giant tricep set 3x10

Back/Biceps

Squats 5x5
Seated cable rows 3x10
Wide grip lat pull downs 3x10
Close grip front lat pull downs 3x10
Under hand bent over rows 3x10
Lawn mowers/chain saws 3x10
Back extension 3x10
Incline bench curls 3x10
Hammer rope curls 3x10

Legs/shoulders

Romanian deadlifts 4x10
Walking lunges 3x10
OHP 3x10
Lying side lateral raises 3x10
Steering wheels 20-25 sec of 3 sets
Barbell shrugs 3x10
Standing calf raises 3x10
Leg extensions 3x10
Lying leg curls 3x10

So this is my weekly work out and diet what do you guys think what should be adjusted I take criticism as wisdom so please share your thoughts, I appreciate your time.Â

Your diet looks fine to me, so keep with it.
About the split i’d suggest a full-body routine, done 3xweek, such as stronglifts or starting strength.
What are your numbers by the way?

When I first started with BP I was at just the bar alone, since January till now I added 40lbs to each side of the BB

My Romanian DL are at 40lbs on each side of the BB

My squats are from just the BB alone to 50lbs on each side

My OHP are from BB alone I added 35 lbs to each side

Walking lunges went from 10lbs to 40lbs each hand

I try to add 2.5 - 5lbs every week if I can’t advance that week I just stick to the same weight as the previous week until I get my posture and strength correct to be able to lift with a little extra weight.

[quote]Mass Dialect wrote:
When I first started with BP I was at just the bar alone, since January till now I added 40lbs to each side of the BB

My Romanian DL are at 40lbs on each side of the BB

My squats are from just the BB alone to 50lbs on each side

My OHP are from BB alone I added 35 lbs to each side

Walking lunges went from 10lbs to 40lbs each hand

I try to add 2.5 - 5lbs every week if I can’t advance that week I just stick to the same weight as the previous week until I get my posture and strength correct to be able to lift with a little extra weight.[/quote]

Well, you are progressing well, yet I think you would be better doing a 3xweek fullbody program.
Apart from that, keep up the good work

Your diet

You cook mostly fat free, yet you add EVOO to your shake? Why not cook with EVOO and/or coconut oil?

Lunch seems, well, small!

You have squat on first two days and no squat on leg day. The only strength reps you have are squat and chest.Can you explain your thought behind your program please? Also, is this a M/W/F or 3 on/1 off?

Your goals are what? Please use SMART.

Cheers

I do ocassionally cook with Pam or olive oil when I cook my eggs or sometime use coconut oil I like the taste of the coconut oil when I cook the eggs and turkey bacon. I use olive oil for my rice also.

right after I have my lunch I wait a hour and have my snack which is my protein drink.

I do sometimes eat ice cream late nights maybe a cup of fudge brownie ice cream.

My goal is to build strength and mass. I workout sun, tues,& thur due to my schedule at work.

What is SMART? Is that a program?

As far as squatting I just recently picked those days since im doing so much on my legs that one day I feel as I am putting to much strain on them so I incorporated the squats on those two other days. Should I change them back? Do one on leg day the other on my chest day?

Look up kingbeef’s thread

Ok I just did a workout from king beefs thread on the 4 day split following his schedule. Awesome workout. Thanks for the heads up on that thread.